Boston Acoustics VR Speakers For Sale - Complete 7.1 or Will Separate

Options
Well, I recently got our HT "Back Into Polks" and will need to pass these fine home theater speakers on to the next lucky owner.

I have been using these in our home theater for the past 3 years and loved them. I was content with them, and honestly the only reason I made the change was because I always wanted to try Polk's older LSi speakers. Well, I had an opportunity to make the change and did so.

These are great home theater speakers that pack a LOT of punch for their size. They are the "Video Reference" (VR) series and are very well made speakers that sound fantastic.

I have the following for sale as a 7-channel package for $700 or individually for the prices listed below:
  • VR-M60 (pair) - $300
  • VR-M50 (pair) - $200
  • VR-920 center - $150
  • VR-MX surrounds (pair) - $150
All are in very good condition. I believe there are a couple minor scratches on the piano finish on the 50's and 60's. The MX's are decent, but one of the grills is cracked and has a minor hole in the fabric, but the crack is not noticeable and the fabric still looks pretty good. The 920 is in great shape. The plastic covering on the end caps may need to be re-glued, as they sometimes pull off slightly. This is the best center I've owned! I actually wouldn't be upset if the center doesn't sell.

I prefer local pickup (near State College, PA) but can ship (will pack meticulously for safe transport) at actual cost. If local pickup, I'll include some very nice speaker stands with spikes and mounting bolts for the 60's and wall brackets for the 50's (like these) for an additional $50.

I'll also be in the Harrisburg, PA area next week and can bring them, or will be near Pittsburgh March 6-8 and can bring them along then as well.

Buy my SVS PCi 25-31 sub (for sale here) and you can have it all for $1000. It'd be very difficult to find a comparable 7.1 setup for anything less than that.

I'll try to get some detailed photos added later tonight. Questions/offers, don't hesitate to ask!

But I can say that I will not let these go for 2 chickens and a goat, Russ!

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2017
    Options
    •VR-920 center - $150

Someone should jump on this center channel. I have it and it is terrific. I don't see me giving it up unless Polk comes out with a 3 way big center channel that can match the sound this beast puts out!

GLWTS Scuba.
    Post edited by cfrizz on
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited February 2017
    Options
    One used sheep (don't ask), pint of moonshine, my sister, and a dirty sock? (I'm trying to tap into my inner deep southern side)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pics of the beast of a center. It's 27" wide x 10-1/2" deep x 6-3/4" high. For reference, that is the Polk LSiM-704c behind it! It's got two 5"x7" woofers, a 3" midrange and the 1" Lynnfield tweeter. I tried to get pics of the plastic end covers. They look worse than they are in the pics. A little glue and pushing them back on firmly and they'll look good-as-new.

I'm very firm on the price of this center. They are very rare and a gem if you can get your hands on one. I agree with Cathy. I'm likely going to regret selling this.

I'd rate this a conservative 8/10 overall only because you can pry the end covers off. Grill is near perfect and the cabinet is a 9/10.

3h4ayi7m8v60.jpg
    funlxv3lxfsu.jpg
    wukzja6sy8qi.jpg
    vdiy28qnvm0m.jpg
    irtvpe4d5dwg.jpg
    c50v3u3a7g4m.jpg
    7vlpzszmegt4.jpg
    46fntxftd2wk.jpg
    xy0xu23cxe2n.jpg
  • scubalab
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Pics of the VR-MX pair. These are 10-3/4" high x 6" deep x 11-1/2" wide. They have a nice low profile and with the curved shape, blend nicely into the walls. Wall mount brackets included. The last pic is of them next to the Polk LSiFX. They are quite a bit smaller but still provide a lot of sound with a 5" midrange, a 5" passive radiator, and two 1" Lynnfield tweeters in each. They can be set up for direct or diffuse sound.

I'd rate these 6/10 and 8/10. The one on the left has one grill that has a few holes in the fabric and several cracks in the plastic. It doesn't affect performance in any way and when mounted doesn't look that bad. The other grill on that speaker has one tiny hole. There is also a small ding on the top of the cabinet that cannot be seen when mounted. The speaker on the right has perfect grills and the cabinet is in great shape.

r9x6k3olbk1o.jpg
    haxur1idjmr6.jpg
    xp9js0r2rkmc.jpg
    s6v6mx0j3lpo.jpg
    6z5l26yw87z1.jpg
    2djj27pzrf9z.jpg
    ocehqoicwbwc.jpg
    lz6car9x55tf.jpg
    4gda6eeort96.jpg
    v8lnhq1l6qo5.jpg
    mtoa6sqzdlyz.jpg
    6boy106cj2cx.jpg
    sw5ulppih5bp.jpg
    n4n9lnf8v6r5.jpg
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    Options
    I've got the 920 and M60s....awesome speakers. Beautiful too. I would love this set....but no room or money.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • scubalab
    Options
    Pics of the VR-M50 matched pair, sequential SNs. These are in great shape. Grills are perfect and piano gloss finish on top is nice and shiny with no scratches. The only thing I can find on these is that it appears the tweeters are wrinkled or have minor dents. This does not affect sound and is only noticeable upon VERY close inspection. I'd rate these a conservative 7-8/10 because of the tweeters and a couple minor nicks on the cabinets. These measure 10" tall x 7-1/8" wide x 9-1/2" deep and have a 5" midrange and a 1" Lynnfield tweeter.

The bottoms have Velcro on one of the speakers and glue residue from the Velcro on the other. I will clean them off prior to shipping. They also have a threaded insert on the bottoms making it nice to bolt to stands.

zec2vhzq96ch.jpg
    b9zyufpcrq9v.jpg
    hznhkz3485pe.jpg
    mmwjfbgvhtcj.jpg
    zu4rv9gw38zp.jpg
    ana4ykk2ftfs.jpg
    nom6uh016jzz.jpg
    x9y4pql72w28.jpg
    fbhagnox1bhy.jpg
    aqpgsc97as81.jpg
    qamwgryfylbc.jpg
    93gru28j1hoh.jpg
    wo3c53tuukw2.jpg
    dcc8m971bmrx.jpg
  • scubalab
    Options
    Last but not least, pics of the big bookies - the VR-M60 matched pair (sequential SNs). These are in great shape. Drivers and grills are perfect. Piano finish tops are shiny with no scratches. I'd rate them a conservative 8/10 only due to a couple minor nicks on the cabinet, one scuff (see pic) on the side (near the back) of one of the speakers and a minor blemish/scuff on the plastic bezel aolroumd the tweeter on the other speaker. These measure 11-5/8" tall x 8-1/4" wide x 12-1/2" deep and each have a 6" midrange and a 1" Lynnfield tweeter. Bottoms are clean and I'm nice shape and also have the threaded bolt holes on the bottom for mounting on stands.

obu705599n5i.jpg
    uwbd3ld98ftc.jpg
    r6pjbwp06xdx.jpg
    uzy8mwvmorin.jpg
    ur3ahn4dbfso.jpg
    uxx5mcmhfs8l.jpg
    c9zvjo6jic4t.jpg
    y5ijh89gw03d.jpg
    arr1hst63kbf.jpg
    6244nrh6anw4.jpg
    4ecod5kqm2fl.jpg
    zoyaxl6nlkru.jpg
    1tusop8l51v7.jpg
    d77s4p9zhuq7.jpg
    we9lb3br2pj5.jpg
  • scubalab
    Options
    Pics of the stands. These are 28-1/2" tall without the spikes and weigh 21.4 pounds each. They are VERY solid.

xmd2c6z7f75g.jpg
    43pnv9xady7b.jpg

The wall brackets (from Amazon) - Disaronna not included (unless you pick them up - then I'll include a couple drinks!):

q2ar1msttkk3.jpg
  • scubalab
    edited February 2017
    Options
    OK, I think that's all the pictures. Let me know if there are any others or close-ups needed.

I'd like to try to sell as a set first, but will consider breaking the set up.

Again, for $1000, you get it all - the pair of 60s, the pair of 50s, the 920 center, the pair of MX surrounds, the SVS sub, the stands, and the wall brackets. Ad a receiver and you're done! I might even have some cables (nothing to write home about) that I'd throw in.

I'll do $700 for just the speakers (without the sub, the stands, and the brackets).

Individual prices are:

• $300 for the 60s
    • $200 for the 50s
    • $150 for the 920 center
    • $150 for the MX surrounds

Local pickup near State College preferred, but can ship individual sets for actual shipping costs. PayPal Gift or add 3% to cover fees. Cash works too!

Have a great night!

-Al
  • scubalab
    Options
    I'm going to list these locally on Craigslist soon for a bit more than Polkie prices here. I think they may be a tough sale here. Although I'm not really in any big hurry to sell, it will be nice to replenish the audio fund and clear out the space they are occupying. We've been trying to downsize all the clutter and all these unused speakers don't help.

I'm somewhat negotiable/open to offers via PM. Although livestock, (either new or slightly used ;) ) isn't going to pay the bills. Plus, as far as I know, we're not zoned Ag...
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I don't think many people appreciate just how good these speakers sound. I am not using my Boston speakers right now but really miss them in my system. Whoever gets these will be getting great sound at a fantastic price. GLWS.
  • scubalab
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Simm - I agree. Fantastic sound out of these guys. Top of the line from Boston at the time. The build quality alone is outstanding. The attention to detail on the bookies with the chamfered corners, the tweeters and bezels, the inset grills, the piano gloss finish on the tops, the integrated threaded inserts on the bottoms, the brass Allen screws on the tweeters, the metal binding posts. They did not sacrifice much.

These speakers may be small, but put out some BIG sound and weigh more than you'd expect. They are SOLID! I'd honestly have no reason to move these out of my HT if I didn't have the bug to try the LSi's.

I'd love to move these along, so if there's any interest, talk to me!!
  • scubalab
    Options
    Shameless bump for a nice full set of 7 HT speakers. These have also been listed locally on Craigslist for a bit more money...

I'm heading to Harrisburg tonight and can bring any or all along with me if anyone that way is interested... Will consider reasonable offers that don't involve farm animals. :p
  • scubalab
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Bump with some price reductions!

It's Friday night - maybe someone will have a few drinks tonight and open their wallet!. That's what we do around here, isn't it?

7-channel package (Boston's) - $650

Individually:

• VR-M60 (pair) - $275
    • VR-M50 (pair) - $175
    • VR-920 center - $150
    • VR-MX surrounds (pair) - $125

Take all AND my SVS for just $900!
  • 19samson77
    Options
    Interested in the 920 and am close enough to pick up. New to the site how do I contact you?

Ethan
  • 19samson77
    Options
    Would finish off my speaker set. VR 975's front, VR 965's rear and for the time being VR 940's for the sides.
  • scubalab
    Options
    VR-920 Center and VR-MX Surrounds have been SOLD. M60's and M50's remain. Will sell individual pairs or all four for $425.

7-channel package (Boston's) - $650
    VR-M60 pair and VR-M50 (pair) - $425

Individually:
    • VR-M60 (pair) - $275
    • VR-M50 (pair) - $175
    • VR-920 center - $150 - SOLD
    • VR-MX surrounds (pair) - $125 - SOLD

Take the VR-M60 pair, the VR-M50 pair, AND my SVS for just $675!

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    DANG IT FOLKS, someone BUY THE SVS!!!!!!!!!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Options
    Bump!

Just need to sell the VR-M50s and the VR-M60s! Prices are somewhat negotiable...

Sub still available, but in a separate listing.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    I will give you 20 dollars and a 6 pack for both sets and the sub.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    $25 and a case of two buck chuck!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • scubalab
    Options
    Sorry Paul... Dan was first! :(

Dan - deal! Just add the shipping fee of $429.37. But fear not! I have a handful of packing peanuts and a like new Omaha Steaks box that I'll cram them in for safe travels to your door!

You know my PayPal addy. I'll let you know when payment clears and I get them in the mail! ;)
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Sounds like a plan... the I can post a thread about how UPS screwed it up and damaged the speakers
  • schatzi2015
    Options
    Please contact me scubalab. I would like to buy the M60,s. Im brand new to this site and am not sure how it works.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Sounds like a plan... the I can post a thread about how UPS screwed it up and damaged the speakers

PFB has already patented that.
  • scubalab
    Options
    VR-M60s have been SOLD. Just the M50's and the SVS sub remain.

Individually:
    • VR-M60 (pair) - $275 - SOLD
    • VR-M50 (pair) - $175
    • VR-920 center - $150 - SOLD
    • VR-MX surrounds (pair) - $125 - SOLD

Take the VR-M50 pair AND my SVS for just $425!
  • scubalab
    Options
    VR-M50s are SOLD. That's everything folks! It's bittersweet... I really liked that system, but I'm loving the LSi's!

I do still have the SVS sub available in a separate listing.

Thanks,
    -Al
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I love the VRM series from Boston Acoustics. I wish they still made this series. What a wonderful trip down memory lane you just took me with this thread.
    They would make a killer Retro theater room for me( for my Museum I want to build one day) for my audio video adventure over the decades. They are very clear and nicely accurate. Very comfortable to listen to and very pleasing to kick back with.
    I would say they are in the same class as Def Tech speakers and a nice competitor.
    Whoever buys these speakers are in for a treat. I'll be watching this one.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scubalab
    Options
    Dan,

I thought of you when I read your thread on setting up a retro theater room. These were fantastic in our fairly current HT room too! These are all sold. The center and surrounds went to a new forum member near Binghamton, NY, and the M60s, the M50s, stands, and wall mount brackets went to a new member in Arizona. Hopefully these members will stick around. I met the guy from NY, and he sounds like he's got a nice system going. The guy from Arizona is putting together an 11.3 HT in a rather large room. He'll likely be sticking around the forum and updating us on his HT build.

These are great speakers, and I will miss them. But they'll be put to good use in their new homes.
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562
    Options
    I have been torn over the last couple of weeks on whether to sell my LSiM 706 and using the 703's in a small 2 channel setup and then using my VR-M's in the HT or pick up a pair of 705's or 707's to complete a combination HT/2 channel setup or I could do 9 channel with the BA's- 5 60's, 2 50's, and a pair of MX's.