MVP of your system - make it known here!

12346»

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Was just thinking about that this weekend. I just gave a Mac mini to a friend. Had bought it for me mum and she passed about a year ago and my dad had no interest. I'm very anti Apple after they crashed my phone and said basically "oh, yeah, that upgrade was for a different phone, downloading it crashes yours." When asked if they could restore my original os the reply was "sorry, no."

That combined with the problem of losing downloads I'd paid for when I got a new email and could no longer access iTunes account with my new email. This was all several years ago.
    Every since then I've had nothing to do with Apple...and I can be a little stubborn. Maybe ought to suck it up and get an iPad for this, but, that will probably mean having an iTunes account.

I'm really interested in the mini but kind of pissed they couldn't figure out how to, or simply chose not to, develop a Android OS.

When I read up on the mini, it piqued my interest. The company said that they are still working on a version of the software for android users but it'll take some time before the release. Better to get it right than release buggy software that'll infuriate you to no end.[/quote]

I'm seriously considering the mini and selling my SONOS & ELAC to fund the purchase of the mini w/ a linear power supply.

Decisions, decisions! lol.

Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    1. transmission line I designed w/ Martin King's software; uses Fostex FF225wk supplemented by an Eminence APT-80 super tweeter. (living room system)

2. Nelson Pass designed Amp Camp Amps; class A mono blocks built from a kit (living room system)

3. passive open baffles based on Martin King's design; uses Fostex FF85k and Eminence Alpha 15a (bed room system)

4. Emotiva ERC-3 CD player

5w4qcgzmdarq.jpg
    betcbqsbj972.jpg
    h4p37xa71qe0.jpg

heh -- I just noticed that Sansui hidin' in the background :)
  • Jim Shearer
    Jim Shearer Posts: 369
    edited January 2017
    Hey Mark,

Even the BOTL Sansui units from the early 1970's are sweet sounding! That 350A (and a pair of speakers I had built) stayed behind when we sold the house a little over a year ago. Needed to pare down a bit & the folks who bought the house were a bit short of gear IMO.

BTW: for those who have never listened to an Emotiva ERC-3 gen 2 CDP (mentioned in my post); don't be too quick to judge! Very nice sounding piece of kit; one reason for buying it was the Stereophile review of the ERC-2, which (among other virtues) was the most tolerant of damaged CDs of any player tested up to that time. Recently proved itself w/ a CD which wouldn't play on my wife's Macbook Pro or anything else in the house, except it played just fine on the ERC-3.

Cheers, Jim
    A day without music is like a day without food.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    F1nut wrote: »
    I don't really as it truly is the sum of the parts working in harmony.

Bingo....you can remove any piece in your system and the sound will change enough for you to take notice.

Though I will say the addition of a recent Joule la-100 has kicked it up a few notches. Every piece, and cable added along the way brought something to the table.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    tonyb wrote: »

Bingo....you can remove any piece in your system and the sound will change enough for you to take notice.

Though I will say the addition of a recent Joule la-100 has kicked it up a few notches. Every piece, and cable added along the way brought something to the table.

Sum of parts means each function equally. You can have an mvp within a system.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Joey_V wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Sum of parts means each function equally. You can have an mvp within a system.

No, has nothing to do with equality amongst pieces. Like an Orchestra...many different instruments make up one, none are equal to the other, but all bring something different to make one harmonious sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Hey Mark,

BTW: for those who have never listened to an Emotiva ERC-3 gen 2 CDP (mentioned in my post); don't be too quick to judge! Very nice sounding piece of kit; one reason for buying it was the Stereophile review of the ERC-2, which (among other virtues) was the most tolerant of damaged CDs of any player tested up to that time. Recently proved itself w/ a CD which wouldn't play on my wife's Macbook Pro or anything else in the house, except it played just fine on the ERC-3.

Cheers, Jim

I guess I'm not the only one that keeps an ERC-3 around for that reason. I had a Mac cd player that I really liked the sound of but it was very fussy about playing any damaged cd's. So far my ERC3 (at 1/4 the price) has played everything the Mac would hiccup over.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    Was looking at the mini, but, looking like there's going to be NO android app and that leaves me out, unless I'm missing something. It appears to be ideal for what I want except for that one little detail of not offering an interface that I could use.

Have you thought about picking up a used Ipad? You really don't want to control your music with a phone. The DS Lightning software is slick.

Was just thinking about that this weekend. I just gave a Mac mini to a friend. Had bought it for me mum and she passed about a year ago and my dad had no interest. I'm very anti Apple after they crashed my phone and said basically "oh, yeah, that upgrade was for a different phone, downloading it crashes yours." When asked if they could restore my original os the reply was "sorry, no."

That combined with the problem of losing downloads I'd paid for when I got a new email and could no longer access iTunes account with my new email. This was all several years ago.
    Every since then I've had nothing to do with Apple...and I can be a little stubborn. Maybe ought to suck it up and get an iPad for this, but, that will probably mean having an iTunes account.

I'm really interested in the mini but kind of pissed they couldn't figure out how to, or simply chose not to, develop a Android OS.

Take a hard look at the Bluesound Node 2 as well. They do have a very nice Android App to control everything.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited January 2017
    Nothing special and certainly not sophisticated, but would have to be the Hafler XL600. This is a great sounding, smashmouth in your face amp. Just to let you know how robust this poweplant is, it is stable down to 1 ohm @1500 watts.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Sota Sapphire turntable with Jelco 750D tonearm, Ammonite Audio Shuggie collar, Groovetracer low profile counterweight, TTWeights copper/carbon fiber mat, TTWEIGHTS center clamp and outer ring, and 31 cartridges to choose frome.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Dawgfish wrote: »
    Sota Sapphire turntable with Jelco 750D tonearm, Ammonite Audio Shuggie collar, Groovetracer low profile counterweight, TTWeights copper/carbon fiber mat, TTWEIGHTS center clamp and outer ring, and 31 cartridges to choose frome.

Baskin Robin's of cartridges
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I've given a lot of thought to this, and as I have been upgrading my equipment, I still think the cheapest piece is my MVP and that is the BlueSound Node 2. While it may not be the best streamer in the world. with the ability to play Tidal it allows me to enjoy pretty much whatever music I am feeling like at the moment and I feel like that is the point of a high dollar stereo.
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    After posting a comment in the flea market under Skips ad for a Marantz sa14s1 he's selling I realized that this piece, the Marantz sa14s1 is the MVP of my system. I can change every piece of the chain and be ok with what I replaced it with except for this piece.

The SQ is ideal. Warm, yet not overly so. Staging is wide, high and deep with vocals and instruments in near perfect unison and placement. Detailed, yet not edgy in any sense. Some of my most unlistenable cd's I can now enjoy as the harsh edges have been tamed.

This is the one piece I wouldn't want to imagine not being in my system.
  • Dawgfish
    Dawgfish Posts: 2,554
    Willow wrote: »
    Dawgfish wrote: »

Baskin Robin's of cartridges

LOL! Never thought about it that way, but you're right!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Bump for a decent thread before it starts to get moldy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    tn184cj5jn8n.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Is that a Roquefort you have there?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Is that a Roquefort you have there?

Roquefort Fosgate?