Damn it........... Cables matter!!

I have always poo pooed the cable discussions here. I was the guy who pointed and laughed at the good folks who fussed over the details of their favorite cabling. I figured that my BJCs were fine and the sound was great. Curiosity got the best of me, so figured i would settle this in my own mind once and for all. I decided that a c note was a bargain to prove my point. Well..... I just received the Audio Quest cables that I got from PITTDOG2. I queued up Steely Dan's Babylon Sister that i use as a benchmark for its range, beat and horns. All i can say is WOW. The increase in clarity is crazy. I can hear things I couldn't before. Bass is crisp, powerful and more accurate. highs are not "smeared" as they were. Detail is startling. I don't have the finest of equipment and my 55 year old ears aren't what they used to be, but the difference is easily heard. Now I have another piece to obsess over. Damn it.
Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    :D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Plan on moving up from my bjc's also. What AQ's did you try?
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • crashb4
    crashb4 Posts: 222
    audio quest mammoth terminated with Nakamichi locking bananas. Outstanding. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
    Schiit Freya+, Krell KAV-250a, R-Pi network streamer, 8Tb NAS, Thorens TD-145 MKIII with Ortofon 2M red, Polk: Monitor-10B, SDA-1A, SDA-SRS
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Hearing is believing. That's all it takes.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Pffft its all in your head.....as in ears.
    Glad your liking the cables.

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Wait... You're moving up to the wels too??
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hooked another one! Somebody grab the net! This one's going over the fireplace...

LMAO....

Crashb4,

Congrats to you, glad your hearing for yourself and trying different things, that's how we learn in this hobby of ours. Know what's funny to us ? You probably thought there was nothing wrong with the sound you were getting before you tried different cables. Usually most won't, until they hear for themselves and compare.

This is also a testament to you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get better cabling and sound....as some would have you believe.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • crashb4
    Honestly, I expected a very different result from this little experiment. I'm not an electrical engineer, but I'm not an idiot either. Conductors flow electrons in order to do work. The larger the conductor, the more potential work. Simple as that. Right? I guess not. I have read countless papers and articles on this subject with vastly different results and opinions. That's what piqued my interest to begin with. I still don't really understand the properties of audio cables but there is an audible difference. Witchcraft? Maybe. If anyone else is on the fence as I was, my advice is to borrow a set from a friend or find a used set in your price range. Just try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Yep, just try for yourself, that's all we ask.

Frankly, speaking only for myself, I don't need to know how or why this or that sounds better, just that it does. Because in the long run, isn't that the only thing that matters ?

I will confess though, once I find something that sounds better, I do investigate as to why after the fact.

Once in awhile, we float a cable demo program for members, solely out of the generosity of others or manufacturers themselves. We have a bunch of info on the MIT demo's from a while back. Backert labs finished up a tubed pre-amp demo too not long ago here. Even if your not in the market, these demo's are a great way to get your ear on things for only the cost of shipping.

Now that we've opened up another rabbit hole for you in audio.....good luck and happy listening. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • crashb4
    tonyb wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hooked another one! Somebody grab the net! This one's going over the fireplace...

Know what's funny to us ? You probably thought there was nothing wrong with the sound you were getting before you tried different cables. Usually most won't, until they hear for themselves and compare.

This is also a testament to you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get better cabling and sound....as some would have you believe.

So true. I thought my system sounded great. How can you know if you don't try. My mind is more open to potential changes now. Thanks all. This forum has been invaluable for me in enjoying this hobby.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Waiting to hear X's comments any minute now he's bound to chime in. Glad your liking your new AQ's.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • X has been banned.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    They should make this thread a sticky, and require anyone who registers for an account to read it.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I may be labeled a heretic for this, but I think ICs make an even larger improvement than speaker cables... not saying speaker cable isn't important, BUT if you're impressed thus far, try upgrading ICs :-)
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I may be labeled a heretic for this, but I think ICs make an even larger improvement than speaker cables... not saying speaker cable isn't important, BUT if you're impressed thus far, try upgrading ICs :-)

Get out...please leave......blasphemer...

:p
  • crashb4
    That's the next step. I am currently using the ICs that came with my Denon CD player that was new last mellinum. There may be room for improvement there. I am exploring simple upgrades for now as I am looking at a move next month if all goes well. After that, it's xover time. Any recommendations for ICs that don't require my first born?
  • pitdogg2
    crashb4 wrote: »
    Just try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.
    Yes please try for you own sake it is really the only way to know. Mike there will be those times when as much as you want a cable or IC to work for the better it won't. Those cables in my system were terrible, I so wanted them to work out for the better but in my system they made everything just lifeless. I know they are quality cables that is no question. But they just do not have the synergy with something in the system i used thrm in.
    Just try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.
    Yes please do try for yourself it's the only way to know for sure in YOUR system. Yes there will be times when you will be disappointed. Like I was with the very same cables. They did not mesh will in the system i used them in. I knew they were will made quality cables that was never in question, but the fact remains that in my system the life left.

This is why one must try. You can read all the glowing reviews you want but until you have it in your system you will truly never know.
    As Tonyb states often synergy is a beast!!
  • crashb4
    I find that my system "sparkles" now. Not harsh or fatiguing; but more lively. It seemed much more flat with the BJC's. Who knows, I may find another set that sounds even better. I will certainly keep my eyes open.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2017
    What the heck happened with my post? The first part disappeared when i hit post. Then the site had me log back in. I had to find the thread then i posted the second part and it looked all good. Now i come back and somehow they have morphed together into one.....WTF....????

• Joey_V
    I agree to most on this thread.

I was never a believer, I tried a set of AQ Oaks with the idea of poo-pooing the idea and laughing at my dealer's face.

It had the opposite effect.

Worst demo.... ever.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    daddyjt wrote: »

Power cables, along with clean power, easily make the biggest cable difference, at least for me. While speaker cables, and ICs certainly are needed for best performance, I was amazed at how big a difference each power cable, and power conditioner, brings to the party. Power is literally a component, just like the other pieces, and can be upgraded like any other component.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • crashb4
    Power conditioning compliments of Rotel RLC-1040. Got that one covered.
  • Joey_V
    Power conditioning compliments of Rotel RLC-1040. Got that one covered.

You might be surprised by upgrading power cables themselves.
  • BlueFox
    Yes. The Rotel is probably providing some surge protection, but I suspect it is restricting DTCD, and possibly degrading the sound. Just conjecture on my part, based on my old Panamax power conditioners.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pitdogg2
    edited January 2017
    There is some nice interconnects out there. I have made some nice sets but keep finding myself back at AQ diamondbacks. Used their pretty reasonable. They AQ golden gates are newer and reasonably priced also.
  • crashb4
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Yes. The Rotel is probably providing some surge protection, but I suspect it is restricting DTCD, and possibly degrading the sound. Just conjecture on my part, based on my old Panamax power conditioners.

Could you elaberate? I'm afraid that my experience is limited when it comes to power conditioning equipment. This device has onboard batteries. I was hoping for voltage stabilization of supply electronics more so than anything. The amp is on its own 20 amp circuit.