RTIA vs Signature Series

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2016
    Yeah, I like TonyBs and F1Nuts suggestion of McCormack, Parasound, B&k and hi-end cabling but I am not there yet. Not saying I will not take that path at some point but for now I just want to listen to some music at various volumes and enjoy it without constantly changing the settings to take the edge of the A7. They sure are pretty but I am boxing them up today. The A3s are already boxed and I guess I have a csia6 for sale though the center sounds pretty damn good but I assume the timbre will not pair well with s60?
    RB

He is not an audiophile, maybe in the future but for right now he made his wishes perfectly clear. He just wants to enjoy his system without jumping through hoops.

We all know that the RTiA series is bright for music. Rather trying to convince him to spend 100s/1000s more dollars trying to tame them, just let him get less bright speakers so that he can enjoy his system now.

And while I like having a prepro for my system, I have used a receiver with an amp and was very satisfied with the results. To this day, the biggest improvement I have ever made to my system was getting a powerful amp. But it took me years to get to that point.

He upgraded his receiver so when he is ready he can add an amp to ensure whatever speakers he has will run to their full potential. He just needs the right speakers that won't give him a headache.

Skip has had the entire Signature set up in his house for quite some time and is the most qualified to speak as to whether RB would benefit from getting these speakers instead of the RTia's that RB has now.

RB, right now don't worry about the center channel, just return what you can and get something else. Who knows, you might like how it sounds. Just take it one step at a time.

None of my speakers match since it was put together over several years with upgrades coming as technology changed, and my system sounds just fine to MY ears.

There are no absolutes in this hobby, it is up to you to decide how much you want to spend and how good it sounds to YOU.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Well Cathy, we don't know if he is or is not, but since he made it clear that music is more important I'm inclined to offer advice with that in mind.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I tamed my Rti8's.

I thought I had em good and tamed by keeping the high @ -1db and leave the bass alone. With all the crud in my family room killing the highs this worked well.

Now with the new Marantz I have these have tamed a lot more and are sounding much better.

I am also using Furez 10awg cables.

A while back co-workers and I had a long lunch and went to Fry's. The guy in the audio dept had a blast with us. We demoed all he could. He had us on Yamaha Pioneer and Sony Receivers. We mostly did A/B with RTi and TSX lines that they had in the room. The TSX sound much warmer and softer than the RTi. If I had the money I would have traded my RTi8 for the TSX 440T hands down.

Now my setup at work in the warehouse is an old Sony 2100ES receiver, a pair of RTi4 and a old 12" Sony sub. that goes 9 hours a day and sounds good but is not played loud during business hours. Now when I work a weekend or the night time guys want to crank it they love it.

I was able to pick up a new TSX 250C for like $100 this Christmas just need the TSX 440T or a pair of S55/60. problem is need to save. Oppo is coming first.

Now if you want to sell your center PM me.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Again, thanks for the feedback and candor. While some day I may explore pre pro separates for now I think I am going to use my AVR and purchase the S60s. A7s and A3s were returned today.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • papatom
    papatom Posts: 137
    Again, thanks for the feedback and candor. While some day I may explore pre pro separates for now I think I am going to use my AVR and purchase the S60s. A7s and A3s were returned today.

Good choice. You won't be disappointed with the Signatures. I currently have them but will.be handing them off to my father sometime this week since he doesn't have a system.
    Marantz SR5011 / Polk Audio Signature S55 towers / Polk Audio Signature S35 Center/ Polk Audio Signature S15 surrounds / Velodyne DPS-10 / Samsung 60" KS8000 / Samsung UBD-K8500
  • cfrizz
    Are you getting more? You just got those.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    papatom wrote: »
    Good choice. You won't be disappointed with the Signatures. I currently have them but will.be handing them off to my father sometime this week since he doesn't have a system.

As Russ stated I have a pair of the Sig20s and we put them to the test, and I still do every time I listen to them with out disappointment.

I agree with papatom.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Azguy
    Azguy Posts: 16
    F1nut wrote: »

You'll never get good sounding music using an AVR, even with an external amp.

What does one use to get good sounding music?
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I think most here would recommend separates (a pre-pro and a seperate amp), a two channel preamp and a seperate amp, or a high end integrated. Only the first can do multi channel.

Being a lower end consumer myself, I think that there are avrs that offer pretty good music performance myself, but I am also a cheapskate
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • So is the general assumption then that the Polk Signature-Series line of speakers are on the same level as the RTiA series?

I was under the impression that the Signature Series may be more of a replacement for the TSx series than the RTiA series since Polk seems to have dropped the TSx series like a hot-potato.

As a TSx series owner, I am quite happy with them (2x TSx440T, 2x TSx220B, and TSx 250c) but I am already seeing some decent deals for the Signature Series and I am now considering upgrading to the Signature Series if they are considered on-par with the RTiA series (which have remained eternally outside my budget).

I have not had a chance to hear the Signature Series in person but I have been able to compare my TSx440T tower speakers to the RTiA7 tower speakers and definitely noticed the difference in sound quality so the Signature Series has me intrigued.
  • F1nut
    The Signature series is not the replacement for the RTiA series.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for sharing your impressions. Just one thing, the feet are plastic, not metal.

President of Club Polk

• Well you made me look and I stand corrected. Once I sat them in place I merely assumed. I guess I have to send them back now..kidding I do like thus far.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• cfrizz
    Congrats, give them time to break in, but also start saving your pennies for a 2-5 channel amp. I always recommend at least 200wpc @ 8ohms. That is usually enough to drive any speaker to its full potential no matter where the volume knob is. For me that was the biggest surprise of getting a Parasound 1500A years ago.

Thanks for the review, keep us posted to any other changes/improvements that you hear and enjoy. :)
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    DSkip wrote: »
    With the new approach, you can't really think of the new lines as replacements. It's more of a downsizing shift to reduce the clutter of Polk products in the market. The shift has price points in mind but I get the vibe that the current/previous lines don't have much bearing on that point. It's probably the best thing they could have done.

I will say I'm very excited about the new line intended to be the new flagship.

Why?
  • rooftop59
    rpf65 wrote: »
    With the new approach, you can't really think of the new lines as replacements. It's more of a downsizing shift to reduce the clutter of Polk products in the market. The shift has price points in mind but I get the vibe that the current/previous lines don't have much bearing on that point. It's probably the best thing they could have done.

Why?

Why what? There are a number of points made in skips statement.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    I'm waiting for the RTiA blowout sale on the website....to finish off my HT rig
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    When's the new flagship coming?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

I was pretty excited to finally get to order the S35. But damn, those S60s looked tempting as **** today when I was at Adorama... just can't justify getting those with a perfectly acceptable pair of RTi10s in the HT I guess.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • cfrizz wrote: »
    Congrats, give them time to break in, but also start saving your pennies for a 2-5 channel amp. I always recommend at least 200wpc @ 8ohms. That is usually enough to drive any speaker to its full potential no matter where the volume knob is. For me that was the biggest surprise of getting a Parasound 1500A years ago.

Thanks for the review, keep us posted to any other changes/improvements that you hear and enjoy. :)

Yeah I am pretty excited and though my avr drives them well and I like the sound I think adding an amp is on the road map. Been checking this site and others for used pararasound and b&k.
    Living Room

Office

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    No clue. Based off what they have done with the t series and now the s series, I think they're going to knock it out of the park with the new series. I'm hoping for a price tag at or around $2k for the totl tower (pair) and performance exceeding that of the LSiM series. I'll be honest and say I'm not a huge fan of that series and think Polk is better than that.

How do you feel about the older Lsi series?
    They are my favorite, but not perfect either.

Honestly, every series seems to have good and bad points, and I like each of ours over the years in different ways.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I can attest to the brightness of the rti. It was like being snow blind but in the ears. I'll admit they sounded better in my old house, but it was carpet everywhere in that room and softer materials in furniture. If a local bb had the s to listen to I'd give them a try for the halibut. For now my rtis will stay in storage until I set up a ht room.
  • rooftop59
    I like them less. I did enjoy them years ago but I've heard so much from so many other companies that they just didn't stand up to the competition. With that said, the LSi had more competitive pricing and I think represented a better value that was hard to overlook. The LSi9 at $1000, even with the bass hump, was a fun speaker and a great value. They were also a simpler design, which usually favors on the side of improved sonics.

My biggest issue with the LSi/LSiM is that ring radiator tweeter. I just don't like it.

Obviously I have don't have the experience to make a real argument, but I will say that I really like the tweeter, always have. I am listening to the LSiM703s that I got for an extremely reduced rate, and i REALLY like them.

The bass bump in the older LSi bookies was what killed it for me. And for the opposite reason, I will never again purchase any RTi A speakers. The 5 khz bump is seriously irritating. I just can't take any significant, really noticeable frequency bumps. Of course, no speaker is neutral, but at least make some attempt at neutrality!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I like them less. I did enjoy them years ago but I've heard so much from so many other companies that they just didn't stand up to the competition. With that said, the LSi had more competitive pricing and I think represented a better value that was hard to overlook. The LSi9 at $1000, even with the bass hump, was a fun speaker and a great value. They were also a simpler design, which usually favors on the side of improved sonics.

My biggest issue with the LSi/LSiM is that ring radiator tweeter. I just don't like it.

List a few you like better please!

I thought the Lsi/lsim tweeters were one of the things that drew most to them.
    What do you not like about it?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Dynaudio Esotar tweeter, or Morel softdome
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    RB - glad to hear you were able to make your returns and are settling in with the Signatures. Curious - presuming these are more to your liking than the A7's were? Are you able to comment on the differences you've noticed, by chance?

re: the A6... indeed, those big centers are nice. I wonder if the S30 would be closer to the A6 performance for you?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Msg..really more bass at lower volume and the tweeter is crisp not shrill and like I said earlier my avr seems to drive them well.

As far as the a6 and s35 I am going to play around with it over the weekend. I don’t know enough to say whether the 30 would be more akin to the a6. The a6 is twice the speaker weight wise and the 30 falls in the middle. I could use an audiophilicated speculation on that.

Living Room

Office

• mr2686
    mr2686 Posts: 52
    On a recent trip to Frys, I had the chance to do a side by side comparison of the RTIa7 and the S60, and was not impressed with the S60 at all, in fact I would take the 7's (or any of the Rti line over them all day long. I thought the S60's were way too bright (not harsh) for music in comparison. I personally love my Rti8's for music, so if anyone dislikes the Rti line because they're too bright, I can't imagine you liking the Sig series for music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    mr2686 wrote: »
    On a recent trip to Frys, I had the chance to do a side by side comparison of the RTIa7 and the S60, and was not impressed with the S60 at all, in fact I would take the 7's (or any of the Rti line over them all day long. I thought the S60's were way too bright (not harsh) for music in comparison. I personally love my Rti8's for music, so if anyone dislikes the Rti line because they're too bright, I can't imagine you liking the Sig series for music.

I haven't heard the Sig. series yet, but your impressions strike me as odd as most think they are smoother than the RTIA series. Did you happen to take note of what they were hooked up to ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable