Subwoofer crawl

Hey guys. Just wondering how many people out there actually do the subwoofer crawl and place the sub where you sit and crawl around the room? Does this really make a big difference?

Comments

• The issue is the very long wavelengths of low frequencies,which are so long that they are measured in feet (*compared to high frequencies' wavelengths which can be measured in millimeters*) So as a result the bass frequencies wind up interacting with the three physical dimensions of the room and can boost or cut the bass in different parts of the room at different frequencies. This is what is called standing waves and they can have a HUGE effect on the bass. Hence the whole reason for the subwoofer crawl. However newer home theater receivers and processors have digital eq circuits that can obviate the need for all of that. Also having more than one sub placed in different parts of the room can help.
  • Cool thanks for the info. Do know if my receiver takes care of that. Denon avr-3808ci
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Is that like a bar crawl ? lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    tonyb wrote: »
    Is that like a bar crawl ? lol

It could be. We should schedule one!
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    That's a very nice AVR @audioblaster - I would say that it does have the room corrections but the better the level of Audyssey the better the level of corrections (Gold > Bronze or XT32 > XT).
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I did the crawl today. The spots where it sounded best was right were the speakers are located. I found it difficult to locate the best spot. When I crawled, like I said it sounded best right at the fronts. Not sure if it was because the fronts put out lots of low end on their own.
  • @Willow
    How many subs do you have?
    If only one have you thought about trying more than one? Not just for more bass as most think,but to better help alleviate the standing wave issue for which you did the subwoofer crawl. By having more than one they can work in tandem to reduce the effects of the standing waves that all rooms have far better than just one.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    I haven't done "the crawl" but I have walked around the room and I know where the points are that are lacking bass. Rather than add another sub or 2 I try to avoid those spots when listening to music.
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I had troubles getting my 2 160lb subs on my couch, I was crawling to the medicine cabinet after that.

I thought your back was as strong as a horse :p My back just started to hurt at the thought of putting those PB13's onto the couch.
    lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • Willow
    @Willow
    How many subs do you have?
    If only one have you thought about trying more than one? Not just for more bass as most think,but to better help alleviate the standing wave issue for which you did the subwoofer crawl. By having more than one they can work in tandem to reduce the effects of the standing waves that all rooms have far better than just one.

If it was up to me I'd have two. After this last major spending, there is no way she'd let me get another one in there.
  • Aaaahhh
    The infamous WAF (*Wife Acceptance Factor*) at work again :D:s
    Well maybe if ya put`em on yer couch like Mikey there.................
  • Willow
    Its tough because it's a 12x 21 room with an open kitchen and eat-in kitchen at the end. If this was in the basement she wouldn't care to have 2 subs. They are not very "pretty" and they are quite large. might have to look into Rel one day.