CPAP - anyone use one?

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Generally an AHI of 5 or less per hour is classified as mild,,that translates to 5 apnea/ hypopnea of 5 per hour.

Do you like the full mask or the full nose mask?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • george daniel
    Options
    Joey,, I don't use one,,,I was the director of a sleep lab for many years,,, given your settings,,go with what is most comfortable for you, there are so many masks/ nasal pillows on the market,,whichever one works best for you.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Been using one for about 8 years now. I use the full nose mask. Can't sleep without it.y doc said I stopped breathing 42 times/hour. Unfortunately there's no way I'll ever be off one. If you're thinking of getting one or doing the tests, I'd say get your life insurance set. It'll cost a lot more after the fact.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    If the tests are already done, it will be too late since the insurance comp will ask for all medical records for the past 5 years (depending on age and amount of the policy. They will discover the tests and rate it accordingly.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Options
    daboyz wrote: »
    Been using one for about 8 years now. I use the full nose mask. Can't sleep without it.y doc said I stopped breathing 42 times/hour. Unfortunately there's no way I'll ever be off one. If you're thinking of getting one or doing the tests, I'd say get your life insurance set. It'll cost a lot more after the fact.
    My life is all conversion from term so no questions asked.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Have been using one for quite awhile. Once you get used to it, you will have more energy and won't be dozing off or getting as sleepy all the time. You probably won't continue to wake up several times night with your heart racing due to oxygen debt. It has been great to drive home from work and not having to fight nodding off. Plus you won't wake up the house with the monstrous snoring. I jst wish I could get my brother to do his sleep study because it is very evident he has sleep apnea as well. Untreated sleep apnea can kill ya.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Several days into it and it's like my new best friend... awesome device.
  • daboyz
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Several days into it and it's like my new best friend... awesome device.

Good for you! Glad it's helping you.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Glad you have a new friend :) i think you two will become very close LOL. Wouldnt be without mine. I always keep my old ones for travel. Most policys allow every 4-5 years i do believe. They can be rather expensive
    Randy/Maine
  • Joey_V
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Glad you have a new friend :) i think you two will become very close LOL. Wouldnt be without mine. I always keep my old ones for travel. Most policys allow every 4-5 years i do believe. They can be rather expensive

Good idea about using the old machines as traveling cpaps.

Headed to Chicago for the week for a little vacay... Will drag mine along for the first time.

Does the airport allow cpap to be carried on flight or better to check it in?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    They usually want them taken out of the bag like a laptop. Been on one for several years now.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • daboyz
    Options
    Can be an extra carry on without an issue. Flew a couple times and never had to take mine out. Just ran it through the x-ray machine.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I carry on a backpack with my laptop and a bag with my clothes and "stuff" which includes the CPAP. I get through some without removing it but lately they will make me remove it and run it back through. I just started removing it now to save time. If it is in its own case they may be different??

Now if you are TSA pre, leave it in the bag.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nrk8glf20469.jpg
    8wb5ivl5u91c.png
    I have joined the cpap user club. I did the home test, and then an in lab sleep study which was more conclusive. I have a mild form of it but the doctor let me get one because my oxygen level would go from 99 down to 85 during my episodes.

I have the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset with the Airfit F10 full nose/mouth coverage mask.

I have used it for a total of 10 days and can already feel a difference in how I feel.

With my nose getting all the air it needs, I don't think I'm breathing through my mouth anymore, so no more dry mouth. I'm not getting up in the middle of the night as much. It takes a little time for me to fall asleep, but once I'm out, I'm out! :)

I am more alert, have more energy, and I'm not falling asleep on the bus, train, work etc.

The machine is absolutely silent, and the mask is very comfortable which was my biggest fear as a side sleeper.

I'm glad I am finally being treated for apnea, I've had it for years but it seemed to be getting worse with every year.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    Options
    Good for you Cathy!

I have been a CPAP user for about five years. Phillips ResMed machine, full face Quattro mask. It's made a big difference for me. No more snoring, dry mouth, sore throat or low grade headaches in the morning. I had no problem adjusting to using the machine

Sleep Apnea is nothing to mess with, it can kill you.
    Carl

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,474
    Options
    Awesome Cathy. Those things are a blessing
    Randy/Maine
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Did you snore like a busted chainsaw, Cathy? ;)

That's something in my near future. Kicking the smokes to the ditch and gonna go for testing when I get home.....someday....
    I wake up from the snorts, coughs and aspirations more frequently now.
    Were a bunch of Wheezing Geezers.
    George Daniel is King of Wheezers.
  • cfrizz
    Options
    I could never hear myself snoring, but the in lab study confirmed that yes I do snore. I had 11 instances of apneas and 13 instances of hypopneas, my oxygen level dropped to 87%. I also had NSR with PVC. I have NO idea what that means.

But the doctor didn't like the oxygen drop, hence the cpap machine.
  • lightman1
    Options
    Got it.
    I think NSR with PVC stands for Nuclear Snoring Resonance with Poly Vinyl Chloride. Like the plumbing pipe that amplifies any sound introduced into it.
    See the Blueman Group for reference.
    You must have been shaking the shingles off the house.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

That's something in my near future.

Afraid I'm in the same boat. Wife's been complaining about my snoring for years. I've been waking myself up lately so I can't deny it. She wants me to get tested. I suppose I should. Like you said, "Someday."
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    don't believe them, breathing is overrated, now go to sleep, and stop sucking in your stomach and you will be fine
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • Joey_V
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I could never hear myself snoring, but the in lab study confirmed that yes I do snore. I had 11 instances of apneas and 13 instances of hypopneas, my oxygen level dropped to 87%. I also had NSR with PVC. I have NO idea what that means.

Nsr means normal sinus rhythm and pvc means premature ventricular beat.
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    edited December 2016
    Options
    don't believe them, breathing is overrated, now go to sleep, and stop sucking in your stomach and you will be fine

LOL. I've been married waayy told long to worry about sucking in my stomach. Maybe I'll try Tony's line about arguing with God.
    I should get tested but can't get past the idea of sleeping with a mask. For those with CPAP that haven't already said, how long did it take to get used to it? Joey - is it still your new best friend?

SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • lightman1
    Options

Way to booger it up, Mr. Fancypants Physician.
    I like mine better. Grow some hair on those legs and get back to me.
    I snore like an elephant with stuffy nose.
    I registered on the Richter Scale at MIT.... I was in Florida at the time.
    I snore so loud, whales go into early spawning.
    I snore so bad, I inhaled the pillow my ex-girlfriend was trying muffle it with.
    I snore so loud, I have a revolving account/monthly service agreement with the local glass company.
    I snore so bad, a deaf guy in the next hotel room called in a noise complaint to the front desk.
    I snore so bad, the airport near me wants me to move. My neighbors thought their flight path was too close to a residential area.....
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    My hunting buddy said it only took a few days to get used too, because felt more refreshed and lively in just a few days.

He would snore so bad we made him sleep in a tent vs the cabin at the hunting lease. We all are better during hunting season now, and there are more deer around too.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

LOL. I've been married waayy told long to worry about sucking in my stomach. Maybe I'll try Tony's line about arguing with God.
    I should get tested but can't get past the idea of sleeping with a mask. For those with CPAP that haven't already said, how long did it take to get used to it? Joey - is it still your new best friend?

The Audioquest wels are my new best friend
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2016
    Options

I snore so bad, I inhaled the pillow my ex-girlfriend was trying muffle it with.
    I snore so loud, I have a revolving account/monthly service agreement with the local glass company.
    I snore so bad, a deaf guy in the next hotel room called in a noise complaint to the front desk.
    I snore so bad, the airport near me wants me to move. My neighbors thought their flight path was too close to a residential area.....

Bahahahaha

Basically Cathy that means that while you have a normal heart rhythm or beats you did experience some extra beats likely secondary to hypoxia as a ventricular irritant.

Aka your heart lacked oxygen and it got pissed off and gave an extra beat here and there.

Too much of that and you are in pathological pvc runs aka vtach... Aka paddle to the chest if you're pulseless.

"Clear"

That said, people have pvc all the time. You just can't have too many.

• cfrizz
    Options

Bahahahaha

Basically Cathy that means that while you have a normal heart rhythm or beats you did experience some extra beats likely secondary to hypoxia as a ventricular irritant.

Aka your heart lacked oxygen and it got pissed off and gave an extra beat here and there.

Too much of that and you are in pathological pvc runs aka vtach... Aka paddle to the chest if you're pulseless.

"Clear"

That said, people have pvc all the time. You just can't have too many.

Thank you Russ for encouraging Joey to put it in plain english!

Thank you Dr. Joey, I now understand what NSR with PVC means!
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    I've being using a CPAP with a nasal mask for about nine years. My mother, 88 years old, just replaced her 13 year old CPAP machine and has the same machine as Cathy. She's trying the nasal pillows after the nasal mask for years, she's switched back to her nasal mask, but still sleeping with her mouth open sometimes. After 7-8 hours of use overnight, the water reservoir on this new machine is empty. It may be a smaller tank than her old ResMed machine. Maybe the temps too high. They are great devices.
  • cfrizz
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Stew wrote: »

That's something in my near future.

Afraid I'm in the same boat. Wife's been complaining about my snoring for years. I've been waking myself up lately so I can't deny it. She wants me to get tested. I suppose I should. Like you said, "Someday."

If you are dragging around with no energy, or find yourself falling asleep at inopportune moments, then don't wait! Get tested and get one.

Finally being wide awake all day long and having the energy to go along with it makes it more than worth it!

I didn't bring it with me when I went down to see Mark. But one of the first things he said to me after hello, was that I look a whole lot better than the last time I came down.

He said the last time he picked me up at the airport back in June, I looked like I was on my last leg. This time he said I looked rested and wasn't dragging and pale. He also told me by weeks end, that he could tell that I was starting to drag again.

Even though I could sleep as much as I wanted, the fact that I was always partially waking up/moving to start breathing again means I wasn't really getting as much rest as I thought.

Granted it is a extra long day for me, Up at 5:00am, full day of work then the trip down to DC getting in around 9:00pm and it's a full day work just getting through an airport.

I knew I had to take action when one day my boss was standing right in front of me when I opened my eyes and asked if I was sleeping!!!!! :o And I sit at a busy reception desk! But my eyes would just close while I was working at my pc and I didn't know it.

So Stew be honest with yourself, if you drive, you could very easily drop off not even knowing you are doing so and have an accident! A CPAP machine would be far better than that.