Auralic Mini DAC/Streamer

Auralic Min wireless DAC/Streamer

After Taking to Luther about his I went ahead and bought a "Auralic mini" and was able to make a small size portable DAC/streamer to take on the go.

It cost $550 new and comes with a free year of Tidal (a $240 value) and you can put a inter SSD drive inside of it and you control with a apple device (either phone or IPAD) but the bigger IPAD is best to see the graphical interface. And it plays DSD files up to 5.6.!

Basic setup is easy I used my wireless router with internet connection to set it up and use it to stream tidal and do the firmware update it ask for, but I normally then switch to a cheap little wireless router without the net connection to use it in my 2 channel setup & the router is just needed to let the IPAD with the controlling software talk to the DAC to tell it what playlist and/or song to play next!

So now i have a small portable DAC/storage device with 1 TB SSD drive inside that is load with all my digital files like FLAC's and DSD hi-Rez files. no computer needed anymore and the MINI is only 5" x 5" with a nice small foot print. The reviews say if you buy the optional power supple to replace the included wall-wart the sounds SQ goes way up but so far it sounds really awesome to my ears with the wall-wart.
2382qt7bdmml.jpg
lfkvza51gtci.jpg
2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 32,487
    How do you play Tidal without a computer connection ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,538
    Do you know if this is better than the bluesound node 2 or the auralic aries?

Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs TSDx/Bluesound Node 2 -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> Audio Research Reference 40th Anniversary -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers + JL Audio F113v2 x2
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Oppo 105D -> Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Main speakers system evolution over the years:
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 -> Axiom M22ti -> Sonus Faber Concertino -> Sonus Faber Concerto -> Polk LSi7 -> Polk LSi9 -> Martin Logan Mosaic -> AV123 Onix Ref 1 -> Martin Logan Vantage -> AV123 Strata Mini -> Martin Logan Summit -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor -> BW 802D2 -> Sonus Faber Stradivari -> Rockport Avior -> BW 802D3 -> BW 800D3 -> ???

Old Gear:
    Speakers:
    BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source:
    Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification:
    Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased) -> ARC 5se -> ARC Ref 40th Anniversary
    Amplification:
    HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer:
    Infinity Entra2 -> SVS 25-31PCi -> SVS 25-31PC+ -> Dual JL Audio F113v2
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 11,479
    tonyb wrote: »
    How do you play Tidal without a computer connection ?

My Simaudio DAC/streamer also does Tidal natively

That Aurilic mini is probably one of the next band for buck network streamer DAC, glad your diggin it
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 5,423
    Tony, The Mini has Tidal built into the controlling software app used by the IPAD, so basically the IPAD is the computer.

for Tidal to work I do have to the MINI/DAC & my IPAD both connected to my wireless router that has internet access.

a wireless router is always needed to let the IPAD control it even when using just the internal SSD drive but the router does not have to have internet access - thus i can take it anywhere like to LSAF or someones else house :) but no TIDAL support without the web.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

Joey , according to a review i read the Blue node 2 & the Mini are equal when the mini uses a external power supply and not the wall wart.

but I have not personal heard the others to compare it with.

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 17,150
    Thats one slick SMALL setup. I always like simple setups like that.

Problem is they all cost MORE money than I'm willing to invest lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,401
    I am actually testing out a blue node 2 right now. Tidal on it is slick. The Auralic is next on my list to check out since it does dsd and the bule does not.

Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse RCA, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R,Wireworld Silver Eclipse SC, Tyler Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Aries Mini, W4S recovery, LKS MH-da004,

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11.
  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 4,104
    what if you don't have apple products(android)?
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,783
    While I don't use it much anymore, my Auralic Vega DAC is a great price/performance product. However, it is old so I would expect a new version at some point.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    what if you don't have apple products(android)?

There is no Android support right now and it doesn't seem like they are working on it either.

I got lucky and my sister gave me her old IPAD one when she upgraded her's.

You could steal Danny's >:) but he did have one for sale not long ago?

And you have to have some apple product to use it's controlling software.

• WardswebWardsweb Posts: 876
    I love my Aries Mini. Have you seen when you turn the iPad one way you get all the information and when you rotate it 90 degrees it converts to all album covers?
    Living room: Clearaudio Champion II turntable, EAR 834P phono pre, Auralic Altair DAC/server, PS Audio Quintessence power, DIY 6H30 Class A Linestage, ASL AQ1006 845 DT MKII mono block amplifers, DIY Altec/JBL speakers, DIY Baltic birch rack
    Sun room: DIY Nelson Pass B1 w/Korg NuTube pre, Technics SL-1700 turntable, DIY Anaview d-class mono block amplfiers, JBL C50 Olympus speakers with custom Smith horns, Mapleshade Samson rack
    Den: Onkyo TX-NR929 receiver, Oppo BDP-103 player, Behringer EP 4000 sub amp, Electrovoice DX-38 active, DIY EL-34 horn amp, Behringer NU6000 bass amp, Klipsch Jubilee speakers, Martin Logan Cinema center, JBL SAT2 surrounds, Danley DTS-10 sub
    Dining room: Pro-Ject RPM 1 turntable, Shanling CD-T1500 SACD, Sumo Athena pre, SST Ampzilla 2000 amps, Quad 2905 speakers
    I hadn't noticed that tell you mention it, as I had the screen-lock on.

I did notice that if I click on a LP and started a song a little pic of the LP would be in the upper left corner and if I touch the little pic it would switch to a view showing all the songs on that LP and a bigger picture of the album cover and then if i clicked on the album cover again it show a large picture of it.

just starting to get use to make playlist and how to search Tidal ...

My sister who almost never touches my 2 channel setup as she won't play any vinyl and doesnt even like flippin CD's loves the MINI, and I catch her listen to my 2 channel setup more & more.

She likes my CRS+'s over my Monitor 10's and said she hears a lot more stuff you can't hear on the 10's :p - had to explain how the SDA effect solves the 10's problem with Cross-talk ;)

BTW Thank you Luther for steering me to the MINI! Kudos to You!!

Think I may pick up the better power supply for it next.