Tubed Preamp

acmf74
acmf74 Posts: 936
edited August 2016 in Electronics
Currently I own a GFP-750 Pre. I was thinking of leaning towards a Tubed pre since I have heard so many good things about them music wise.

This is my first pre-amp and don't have anything to compare it to. The only caveat I have is that I would like to keep the HT bypass.

Any recommendations in the used market?

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Remote? Price range? And. What is your current amp?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    My Mini Max is for sale, but it doesn't have HT bypass.............just throwing it out there........

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • acmf74
    I'd would need a remote and price would be around 1,500

My amp is a Mark Levinson No27.

Thanks
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I would recommend a Rogue Audio Perseus, includes HT by-pass, built-in phono stage, etc. Takes 12AU7's, which include 5814 and 6189W varients, numerous choices out there.

Can be had in your price range, used. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=142755.0
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Cary slp 03. 4 12au7's, and has home theater bypass, as well as a remote. Has 3 outputs for amps, 1 balanced and 2 unbalanced. Heck of a pre amp, and it's circuitry is super sensitive to tube changes. I love mine, I see them come up used often for under your budget.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    acmf74 wrote: »
    Currently I own a GFP-750 Pre. I was thinking of leaning towards a Tubed pre since I have heard so many good things about them music wise.

This is my first pre-amp and don't have anything to compare it to. The only caveat I have is that I would like to keep the HT bypass.

I've been just looking for one also. Do you run bookies or full range speaks? For reasons I don't understand, there's a lot pre amps without a sub output.

• heiney9
    edited August 2016
    Many have dual outputs, but no subwoofer management.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Mike Reeter
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Cary slp 03. 4 12au7's, and has home theater bypass, as well as a remote. Has 3 outputs for amps, 1 balanced and 2 unbalanced. Heck of a pre amp, and it's circuitry is super sensitive to tube changes. I love mine, I see them come up used often for under your budget.

A nice looking example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARY-SLP-03-LINE-LEVEL-TUBE-PREAMPLIFIER-/122104935415?hash=item1c6e0573f7:g:fuYAAOSwepJXcCpp
  • acmf74
    footwedge wrote: »

I've been just looking for one also. Do you run bookies or full range speaks? For reasons I don't understand, there's a lot pre amps without a sub output.

Currently running front Lsi15s.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I'd recommend you sell me that 750 :p
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    I'd would need a remote and price would be around 1,500

My

Thanks

Cary Audio SLP 98L have come down dramatically, something you might want to look into
    I really don't think you'll be disappointed
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Mike Reeter
    You could save a couple of more bucks and buy a new Rogue RP-1 @ $1695.

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_RP1.htm

Lots of features and a 3 yr. warranty for the money.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Joule Electra LA-100 MK III or LA-150 MK II
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Jolida Fusion preamp. 4 tubes total. 2 AT7 & 2 AX7. Used way under your price range, new is still under but a bit more.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • acmf74
    Great! Thanks for the replies!
  • acmf74
    The Rogue line has peaked my interest.

I see a few Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum for sale and a 99 Super for sale. Anyone have first hand experience with these?
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    I own the 99 (not Super though) and it sounds great, I definetly recommend Rogue products..own the ST100 amp, ST90 amp and 66 preamp. You can tube roll until your hearts content...
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Hey Juan....what are the main sonic differences you hear between the 99 and 66 pre?

Acmf74.....I also own the Rogue 99 Magnum. it a great pre, I recommend it
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• heiney9
    edited November 2016
    Just throwing it out there, a bad tube can still measure fine on a tube tester. Depends on what you are testing for and where the tube is failing. I say "can" and not "always" or "never".

It is possible the tube is bad, but it wasn't caught when testing. These little glass bottles are 50-60 years old.

H9
  • JuanR
    JuanR Posts: 715
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Hey Juan....what are the main sonic differences you hear between the 99 and 66 pre?

Acmf74.....I also own the Rogue 99 Magnum. it a great pre, I recommend it

The little 66 magnum sounds great, I'm using all Telefunken tubes in there 2 - 12AU7's and 4-6DJ8's. With the 99 I'm using Telefunkens in the phono board and Sylvania 6SN7WGTA's in the main board. The 99 sounds sweet as well, a little sweeter than the 66, maybe fuller sounding to me. Maybe its the difference between what the 6SN7's vs the 12AU7's can produce sonically.

Let me know if you decide to part with the 99 Magnum.

thanks
    juan
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there, a bad tube can still measure fine on a tube tester. Depends on what you are testing for and where the tube is failing. I say "can" and not "always" or "never".

It is possible the tube is bad, but it wasn't caught when testing. These little glass bottles are 50-60 years old.

H9

Yup. In so many cases, the best test for a vacuum tube is a use test.

• heiney9
    I think I posted in the wrong thread?
  • Mike Reeter

I see a few Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum for sale and a 99 Super for sale. Anyone have first hand experience with these?

I've had a Perseus for about a year now, I feel that for the money, its a very good pre.

It has all the features that I need and accepts the 12AU7 tubes, one I seem to have plenty of.

I would check this offering out if I where in the market for a used Rogue Pre

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649310129-rogue-audio-ninety-nine-super-magnum-preamp/

While I've not compared the 99 to the Perseus, reviews say the 99 leans toward "detailed" and the Perseus has a bit of a "softer" presentation. Of course the choice of tubes has an impact on the overall tone.

The feature set that you want/need would determine the decision, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited November 2016

I've had a Perseus for about a year now, I feel that for the money, its a very good pre.

It has all the features that I need and accepts the 12AU7 tubes, one I seem to have plenty of.

I would check this offering out if I where in the market for a used Rogue Pre

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649310129-rogue-audio-ninety-nine-super-magnum-preamp/

While I've not compared the 99 to the Perseus, reviews say the 99 leans toward "detailed" and the Perseus has a bit of a "softer" presentation. Of course the choice of tubes has an impact on the overall tone.

The feature set that you want/need would determine the decision, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice.

There is a gorgeous sounding Rogue Perseus in the flea market :) It has HT bypass and a fantastic remote.

The GFP-750 was without a doubt the first real eye opener in my experience with hifi. I owned one years ago and have very good memories with it. I remember being truly shocked hearing it for the first time, but what you get with a great tube pre is that rich density that adds all that soul to the music. It takes a lot of time and effort to roll tubes and find a set that fit your ear, but when you do, it's bliss.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Any comments from anyone on the Joule Electra LAB-100 phono stage that was included in the La-100 pre amp. Was the phono stage decent? Thanks for any comments.