Which set should I buy ? SRS 2.3 NON tl,or SRS 3.1tl

Options

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Real world experience shows that a 100wpc amp can easily outperform a 300wpc amp. Watts per channel doesn't always get you what you think.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bassfann
    bassfann Posts: 151
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Real world experience shows that a 100wpc amp can easily outperform a 300wpc amp. Watts per channel doesn't always get you what you think.

I know that. I've competed in car audio for a few years,and have always had equipment in my cars. Your previous response about my wanting more power,was kinda patronizing. If I knew nothing about power,or audio,I wouldn't have bought these particular speakers. I've wanyed them since I was 12.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Two different worlds. Good luck.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• bassfann
    Options
    Two different worlds. Good luck.

Ugh..........
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    They become hypersensitive after being tripped numerous times.

That may also give a hint as to how the speakers were previously treated.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Congrats on the 2.3's! Had your first listen yet?
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • bassfann
    Options
    WTS wrote: »

I hear you. 1 tweeter was replaced already,and his wife said he loved loud music !
  • bassfann
    Options
    lawdogg wrote: »
    Congrats on the 2.3's! Had your first listen yet?

They sound pretty good,considering they're almost stock (1 tweeter replaced). I'll start collecting the parts necessary, to make em sing !
  • WTS
    WTS Posts: 170
    Options
    bassfann wrote: »
    WTS wrote: »

I hear you. 1 tweeter was replaced already,and his wife said he loved loud music !

Yup. Probably loud, possibly with an amplifier not up to the SPL level.

In the case of my Monitor 7C speakers, either I never tripped the polyswitch, or I did once. (I remember hearing Polk tweeters shut down once in college, but I don't remember now if it was my speakers, or a friend's Monitor 7, or a friend's Monitor 10.)
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    ...So if your speakers are a fairly benign (mostly resistive, little reactance) 8-ohm load, your amplifier has a fairly easy job. Dropping the load from 8-ohms to 4-ohms doubles the current required. This makes the amp work MUCH harder, requires heaps of heat-sinking, numerous output devices, and a big transformer with big storage capacitors. Drop the speaker impedance to 2-ohms, and the current required doubles again. Very few amps are rated for 2-ohm loads, and they're all "expensive"--relatively speaking...

Never, in the history of home audio, have there been more speakers sold, or more speaker models available, that have a nominal 4-ohm impedance or lower, yet at the same time, the flood of Chinese or other Asian bottom-feeder amplifiers/receivers are entirely unprepared to deal with low-impedance loads.

Insightful post. Thanks for taking the time to write that.

I'll just clarify that there are indeed inexpensive amps out there that are beefy enough to be rated down to 2 ohms and generate plenty of clean power. Crown's Drivecore amps (at under $300) come to mind, although I'm sure there are others.

Also, while there are likely numerous cheap Asian amps that aren't up to the task, a number of them certainly are. Again, for relatively cheap. A number of us are running 50 watt Yaqin tube amps (Chinese), and these have proven to be plenty capable of wrangling the biggest of the SDAs with ease.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    After I sold my amp and preamp, I hooked up my SDA SRS 2s to an eighty watt a side Onkyo receiver . Though certainly not optimal , it preformed quite well without overheating. My Polks have been updated and I was told that they would drop below 4 ohms. Just an observation.
  • bassfann
    Options
    Thinking about bi amping. Maybe Carver 1.0,1.5t set. Input ? I'm currently running an HK signature 1.5,can get another 1.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    Options
    This discussion reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Norman Vincent Peale:

"Big Egos have Little Ears".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • bassfann
    Options
    This discussion reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Norman Vincent Peale:

"Big Egos have Little Ears".

Big ego ? Little ears ? Just picking brains.
  • bassfann
    Options
    I need to build a dreadnought to bi-amp,is this correct ? I'm possibly getting 2 Yamaha MX-1000 amps,and would like to use them both. If not,that's ok,I can use 1.
  • bassfann
    Options
    So I picked up the 2.3's,they are in very be good condition,no nicks on wood,perfect baffles. I scored them for $700,including 4 8ft custom Audioquest Granite speaker cables ($1200 value)....but still. .

• bassfann
    Options
    More power at this point will not help, the polyswitches need to be replaced with .5 ohm Mills 12 watt resistors.

As for power, you want high current and you do not want a Carver SS amp.

What's the problem wirh Carver amps ?
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Depends on who you talk to.

They were built with unusual and/or inexpensive parts; and they're all old enough that those parts are failing--partially or completely.

OTOH, there are those that claim that when the amps are rebuilt with modern devices and adjusted properly, they're really quite good. It's worth researching at the http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/ web site.

• F1nut
    Options
    More power at this point will not help, the polyswitches need to be replaced with .5 ohm Mills 12 watt resistors.

As for power, you want high current and you do not want a Carver SS amp.

The SS amps don't sound good and I've heard every one of them. On the other hand, Bob's tube amps, both old and new are stellar.

The other issue with the Carver SS amps are those deceptive high wpc ratings, more voltage than current.

As for those mods, Bob doesn't approve because the power supplies were not designed for the increased output. There have been a number of folks reporting that their amp blew up after it was modified.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    I need to build a dreadnought to bi-amp, is this correct?

Yes.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Late to the game, but you should have bought the 3.1TL's. I own both the 3.1TL's and the 2.3TL's and if you were thinking (like high wattage in an amplifier, is better) that the bigger 2.3's were better because they are bigger, unfortunately you were mistaken.

The 2.3TL's are better than the 3.1TL's in many ways, except for imaging, IMO. But, the 3.1TL's will blow the 2.3's out of the water, due to the usage of the RD0-198, as well as the pinpoint imaging (as mentioned before).

I would sell the 2.3's and buy the 3.1TL's if you still can. I agree with Jesse that the solid state Carver amps are not good. If you can buy a Carver tube amp, then definitely do it. Also, as mentioned by Jesse, (@F1nut and @Schurkey) do not worry about wattage as much as current with regards to amps.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    Options
    Well, look who popped in. How ya doing Greg?

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    Options
    Doing OK now Jesse. I realized I missed you all. It is really good to see you all, especially you Jesse (ok, I shouldn't show favoritism). :D I have been listening to my system every week and still buying great sounding albums to play on it. I have thought about the Polk Forum a lot through the months, and figured, hell, it's time to re-visit.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • F1nut
    Options
    Glad to hear it. We should talk soon.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    Options
    Definitely Jesse. Sometime between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• bassfann
    Options
    headrott wrote: »
    Late to the game, but you should have bought the 3.1TL's. I own both the 3.1TL's and the 2.3TL's and if you were thinking (like high wattage in an amplifier, is better) that the bigger 2.3's were better because they are bigger, unfortunately you were mistaken.

The 2.3TL's are better than the 3.1TL's in many ways, except for imaging, IMO. But, the 3.1TL's will blow the 2.3's out of the water, due to the usage of the RD0-198, as well as the pinpoint imaging (as mentioned before).

I would sell the 2.3's and buy the 3.1TL's if you still can. I agree with Jesse that the solid state Carver amps are not good. If you can buy a Carver tube amp, then definitely do it. Also, as mentioned by Jesse, (@F1nut and @Schurkey) do not worry about wattage as much as current with regards to amps.

I never said higher wattage is better,and I understand high current. I'm not talking about using an AIWA to power them. I'm getting 2 yamaha mx1000 amps. I don't know why everyone keeps talking about me wanting "wattage",it's just a term,I mean power. Part of the deal was getting a Krell ksa 300s,so I went with it. I'm still considering the 3.1 set,since they're local.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Even Krell amps get old and have parts that fail eventually. I have a couple of Carver amps (*one of which I've had since I bought it used in 1994.It was built in 1982*) that are still chugging away in service.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options

True, true, and so true. I've owned the 2.3's, 2.3TL's and currently have the 3.1TL's in place.

I've sold all my SDA's with exception to the 3.1TL's, they are keepers.

• headrott
    edited November 2016
    Options

I never said higher wattage is better,and I understand high current. I'm not talking about using an AIWA to power them. I'm getting 2 yamaha mx1000 amps. I don't know why everyone keeps talking about me wanting "wattage",it's just a term,I mean power. Part of the deal was getting a Krell ksa 300s,so I went with it. I'm still considering the 3.1 set,since they're local.

You definitely implied that you were looking for a high wattage amplifier in your previous post(s).

i.e.
    "bassfann wrote: »
    I do want to give them at least 400 watts,so not asure what to get. Adcom 5802 maybe.

I am not trying to get into a power debate with you; You can always do what you want. We are simply giving our advice from our experiences (some of us have very substantial amounts, such as @f1nut and @Schurkey).

Also, I cannot recommend the Krell KSA-300s. I have heard that amp as a friend of mine owns one. It is definitely on the brighter side with regards to high end (as most Krell amps are). It is a powerful amp, and very clean sounding, very analytical, IMO. It does not have much musicality to it, (again, IMO). It will power the 2.3's or 3.1TL's nicely however, with having high wattage and current. I would get an amp with high current and more musical sounding however. Perhaps you like the analytical, bright sound however. (I do not say this facetiously)

I hope you end up with the 3.1TL's. I would not go through the very substantial cost and trouble to upgrade the 2.3's (again, IMO).

Good luck on your journey.

Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• bassfann
    Options

You definitely implied that you were looking for a high wattage amplifier in your previous post(s).

i.e.
    "bassfann wrote: »
    I do want to give them at least 400 watts,so not asure what to get. Adcom 5802 maybe.

I am not trying to get into a power debate with you; You can always do what you want. We are simply giving our advice from our experiences (some of us have very substantial amounts, such as @f1nut and @Schurkey).

Also, I cannot recommend the Krell KSA-300s. I have heard that amp as a friend of mine owns one. It is definitely on the brighter side with regards to high end (as most Krell amps are). It is a powerful amp, and very clean sounding, very analytical, IMO. It does not have much musicality to it, (again, IMO). It will power the 2.3's or 3.1TL's nicely however, with having high wattage and current. I would get an amp with high current and more musical sounding however. Perhaps you like the analytical, bright sound however. (I do not say this facetiously)

I hope you end up with the 3.1TL's. I would not go through the very substantial cost and trouble to upgrade the 2.3's (again, IMO).

Good luck on your journey.

I was saying I want more power.I used the term "wattage",since that's the term often used. I just don't think the HK amp is gonna push them. We'll see. I'm currently working on getting the 3.1's. I bought these because they came with goodies.