Question - how to rid of smoke/cig smell?

Comments

• If working only with what is under the cabinet here I would go with white vinegar and warm water. Wipe down and let dry. Next trip through a hospital ask the head of housekeeping what they use to neutralize strong odors.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2016
    qffi7dt82itn.jpg
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    As an ex smoker......smoke is the absolute worst smell on the planet. I only hope public opinion turns on vaping as it did on smoking years ago, because both have negative health effects which will continue to drive up healthcare costs for us all because of the bad habits of a few.

Sweet dreams, Kev......
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Right next to propane tanks no less, Russ likes to live on the edge. B)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited October 2016
    Joey_V wrote: »
    ... I'm going to send my uncle. I will have him inspect and smell the cables. If it's good, then I'm going to hand over the cash.

And all this time we've been focused on the differences in sound... While he's at it, might as well ask him to give them a good lick, too. That ought to freak the seller out! ;)

• tat
    tat Posts: 159
    edited October 2016
    I will be shocked if you can perceive any smoke at all on an insulated jacket hiding in the corners of a non-smoking home. Its not like your buying a jacket or a sofa.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    I detail friend's cars. Not professionally. But they have the same general plastics in them.
    And to get rid of smoke odor it always takes more than one thing. First I shampoo and extract the fabrics in the interior. Then I use a special foam inside the air ducts, and finally I wipe down all the hard plastic with an automotive deodorizer.
    But that is just the beginning. For the finale I get out the weapon of smell destruction.
    The Ozone generator. I set the time for one hour and let in run in the closed car. Then I ventilate the car for a few hours with a fan blowing air through it. Then I give it the nose test. If any smell lingers I do the ozone treatment all over again. It always works.
    For cleaning cables I would wipe them down with 409, then Windex, then put them in a plastic bag and have the ozone generator blow into it for an hour of so.
    When done I toss them on the floor in front of a fan and let it blow fresh air on it for a week.
    I have done this with Revox tape decks that spent their entire lives in a recording studio. And as I'm sure you know a recording studio is not a smoke free environment.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Wait, you can smell your cables? Wipe em down with a cloth saturated with lemon juice. Ammonia is bad for copper.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    This thread is much ado about nothing.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    +1. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited October 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    This thread is much ado about nothing.

Truer words have ne'er been spoken.
  • While he's at it, might as well ask him to give them a good lick, too.

Here at the Institute, we've been working along those very lines to develop a method for cleaning gear. Studies are almost completed.

You+homos+do+realize+she+turns+out+to+be+dude+_41596255710fc081021f504d05ebc07a.gif
    Sal Palooza
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    ygcqiy3w7pwv.jpg
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    D a m n. The bottom teeth are better than mine. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    ... I'm going to send my uncle. I will have him inspect and smell the cables. If it's good, then I'm going to hand over the cash.

And all this time we've been focused on the differences in sound... While he's at it, might as well ask him to give them a good lick, too. That ought to freak the seller out! ;)

Hey! The seller recommended smelling the cables haha
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey, buy em yet???

Almost... Until my uncle picks it up and hands over the cash... I dunno

But it's on hold as we speak

:wink:
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    lightman1 wrote: »
    qffi7dt82itn.jpg
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    As an ex smoker......smoke is the absolute worst smell on the planet. I only hope public opinion turns on vaping as it did on smoking years ago, because both have negative health effects which will continue to drive up healthcare costs for us all because of the bad habits of a few.

Sweet dreams, Kev......
    I like it! My apologies for getting on my high horse....
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    edited October 2016
    tonyb wrote: »

Smoking does not drive up healthcare costs, nor does the lack of it reduce costs. If you believe that, kindly point to anything that says so. I think it's a pretty safe assumption to say we have less smokers today than 20 years ago and I never once experienced a reduction in HC costs. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-healthcare-costs-smoking-idUSKBN0JX2BE20141219

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199710093371506?ck=nck&#t=article

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360912/

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    FYI use this stuff it just melts nicotine off EVERYTHING. My dad smoked Camel cigs non filtered until he died. The rooms he was in were white.... While we did repaint some wouldn't stick even with kilz this stuff straight will make it run off the walls...

https://www.dollartree.com/20-oz-Totally-Awesome-Cleaner/p8056/index.pro
    it can be bought at many places like wal-mart, Lowes and many others it works very well and will not fubar anything that i found yet.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    PD - is that citrus based, by chance?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2016
    guess it does have some here's what I found although it has no citrus smell what so ever.

http://www.menards.com/msds/110283_001.pdf
  • Joey_V
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    guess it does have some here's what I found although it has no citrus smell what so ever.

http://www.menards.com/msds/110283_001.pdf

My only worry about that is rubbing it on an expensive wire and since it has a braid...
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    was just curious. I love citrus cleaner for the effectiveness while still not being quite as harsh as something like Castrol Super Clean or Purple Power. I haven't worked enough with citrust to know how much they affect different surfaces, but that ZEP heavy duty citrus degreaser from Home Depot/Lowe's works really well for tough stuff, as well. something else to consider; test in inconspicuous area.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rubbing alcohol rub down
    Onkyo TX-NR636
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CSI A6
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Sub2 - polkaudio PSW505
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40 series II
    Front Height - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio Atrium 5
    Shed
    Sony junker str-dn2010 with Sony bookshelf floor models and polkaudio R150's
    Shed 2
    Nakamichi soundbar
  • pitdogg2
    geesh you could put some baking soda on a cookie sheet lay cables on top put bag over and stick in a freezer take out in couple off days should be nothing.

always worked for me.

looking back seems the cart is before the horse here.....
  • Joey_V
    geesh you could put some baking soda on a cookie sheet lay cables on top put bag over and stick in a freezer take out in couple off days should be nothing.

always worked for me.

looking back seems the cart is before the horse here.....

What do you mean cart before the horse? You mean planning your moves before making a big purchase is a bad move?
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Farts clear all the ambient air out for me...
  • pitdogg2
    My wife smokes outside not in the house. I've sent folks here cables some braided, not once did anyone mention that because they didn't smell like smoke.

I understand apprehension for a large purchase but I'd be compelled to believe the seller until proved otherwise. Most folks with quality gear of that magnitude tend to be pretty legit I'm my experience.
  • Joey_V
    My wife smokes outside not in the house. I've sent folks here cables some braided, not once did anyone mention that because they didn't smell like smoke.

I understand apprehension for a large purchase but I'd be compelled to believe the seller until proved otherwise. Most folks with quality gear of that magnitude tend to be pretty legit I'm my experience.

That's what I hope for too
  • Joey_V
    Farts clear all the ambient air out for me...

Uhhhh
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Shoot, I've got it. Just change the baby's diapers in the room and keep the diaper genie in there too. After a couple days you'll wish you could smell the smoke
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Willow wrote: »
    Shoot, I've got it. Just change the baby's diapers in the room and keep the diaper genie in there too. After a couple days you'll wish you could smell the smoke

Brilliant....thinking outside the box. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable