Question - how to rid of smoke/cig smell?

Options
13»

Comments

• billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,188
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I once bought a few pairs of AQ interconnects from a smoker. Those braided jackets hold onto that smell something fierce! When I first took them out, you could smell the reek from across the room.

I washed them soap/water, sprayed liberally with Febreeze, did something with baking soda, used Windex. Nothing completely eliminated the odor.

In the end, the smell was greatly reduced, but you could still smell it up close. After a year or so, the smell faded and now after several years, there is no odor remaining.

Hopefully the seller is being truthful about not smoking in the room, and that has always been the case. If so, you shouldn't worry. The odor won't come from his clothes. That only comes from being around the direct smoke itself.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Well, in my case, I am happy to report after removing the circuit boards from the case & spraying them down with this: crcindustries.com/ei/product_detail.aspx?id=05101
    the smell is gone. Thankfully the item in question only had two small boards & was easily disassembled.

Never used to worry about asking as my past experience is that most audiophiles who smoke do not do so around the gear, and those that do are usually upfront about it. Looks like I need to adjust my thinking.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    Another option is to send them up to me, I'll keep them outside for a Canadian winter.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Willow wrote: »
    Another option is to send them up to me, I'll keep them outside for a Canadian winter.

Great....they won't smell like smoke but getting that stench of Salmon and beer out might prove just as challenging. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,876
    Options
    Hey you mean bacon and maple syrup
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Oldmodman's suggestion of an Ozone generator is most excellent.

Google "disaster relief services" and find some companies that clean up after house fires. They come in after a fire, remove all the household items, and take them down to a warehouse where they have a Big Boy 3000 Ozone generator. Stuff that you're SURE will always have smoke smell comes out daisy fresh.

Service Pro is one nationwide company, there's probably one near you. If you gave them a call and asked them to throw in a small batch of cables in with a bigger batch of someone else's "stuff", they'd probably do it.
    They are good. Real good.

"Bacon and maple syrup" ...... wouldn't mind that too much. Kind of pleasant aroma to have while listening to tunes. :)

Sal Palooza
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Oldmodman's suggestion of an Ozone generator is most excellent.

Google "disaster relief services" and find some companies that clean up after house fires. They come in after a fire, remove all the household items, and take them down to a warehouse where they have a Big Boy 3000 Ozone generator. Stuff that you're SURE will always have smoke smell comes out daisy fresh.

Service Pro is one nationwide company, there's probably one near you. If you gave them a call and asked them to throw in a small batch of cables in with a bigger batch of someone else's "stuff", they'd probably do it.
    They are good. Real good.

"Bacon and maple syrup" ...... wouldn't mind that too much. Kind of pleasant aroma to have while listening to tunes. :)

Good points.

I doubt Service Pro would want to be liable for the WELs though.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    Options
    I don't know how those cables get the smell if he smokes outdoor unless he wraps the cables around his neck to smoke.. Baby wipes should be enough to clean the dust and whatever smell off the cables.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    http://www.rgf.com/

These work.

I know this is a discussion about odors, and it works on them. I usually recommend these to customers who have severe allergy problems, but this will attack the Odors inside your equipment.

They work.

They can only be purchased from a licensed HVAC contractor, and they are fairly expensive, but this product really does what the manufacturer says it does.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    Options
    Wow, three pages (and counting) on the topic of getting smoke smell out of cables from a guy who stated he never smoked around his equipment...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • tonyb
    Options
    smglbrth wrote: »
    Wow, three pages (and counting) on the topic of getting smoke smell out of cables from a guy who stated he never smoked around his equipment...

LOL....yep, can you imagine if the guy said he didn't have indoor plumbing ? The outhouse jokes would take up 10 more pages.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options

It does get a little slow around here... hahaha
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options

Imagine if this was a PFB thread.....We'd have enough material to make a trilogy.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    edited October 2016
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »

Imagine if this was a PFB thread.....We'd have enough material to make a trilogy.

Don't we already have one ? I think I can string together 3 threads of his to make one. lol

He is after all, the modern day version of Luke Skywalker, and that UPS guy is in reality, Darth Vader. The battle continues.....in a suburb far far away. :p May the skinny jean force be with you. lol

Just bustin' your chops PFB, it is kinda slow around here lately. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbigbluelight
    Options
    Joey, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have your uncle check to see if the seller has indoor plumbing.
    Sal Palooza