Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

1161718192022»

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Pictures moved to Showcase...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    ... the hosts with the mosts...

Thanks again...

Tour...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    edited October 2004
    Damum, so sorry I missed it guys. Glad to see everyone had a great time. Who knows, maybe I'll make it to the next one.:D
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    ... and quite possibly how it looks once again.... :(

Original CA's
    Carver Silver 9t mono blocks
    AR XA TT (now operational... some tweaks are good... :p)
    Jolida CDP
    Conrad Johnson tube pre... (cover removed... I believe I can sue)
    SACDP... can't remember the manf...

Actually, Russ and I re-tweaked the cave last night. We move the speakers back out a bit. The tweeters are 16 inches from the rear wall, the outside is 19. So a SLIGHT toe in. That really solidified the center image without collapsing the soundstage.

The curtains are back behind the speakers. One is asthetics. It is the lovely Wendi's house after all and she likes the curtains. Plus, I believe and Russ agreed that it softened the top end a good deal.

The AR TT sounds great. I had all but given up on vinyl. Now have a new lease on life.

CJ has been cleaned up and is ready to roll!!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2004
    Well where or where to begin……

Obviously, a HUGE thank you to Wendi and Troy for letting all those heathens (and my angelic self) raid your place for the weekend. Everyone (as noted) had a GREAT time there and was treated royally by the BDT household. Thank you for the food, drinks, space, and medium for all of us to gather and get to know each other…..

It was a blast to put some faces to the names on the screen, and for me it was probably more about meeting the people than solely demoing gear. There were some incredible systems set up, and I finally did get a listen to the quality of the SDA sound (in comparison to the no bueno demo I received a few weeks ago).

I was able to pick Al and Paul’s brains for a while which probably hit me more after the fact than at the time of. After this weekend was over, it settled in how amazing it is that a bunch of us hobbyists were visited by some of Polk’s Heavy Hitters, answering a barrage of questions, kicking back, and having fun. It was a pleasure to be able to do that, because really, how many of us can say that we have had the ear of a big company that you regard so highly.

I definitely enjoyed meeting every one of you guys, and look forward to that opportunity presenting itself in the future…..

Some lessons, and thoughts, that stood out…… (I’m sure more to come later):

1. There’s no need to spend money on cologne…..drink enough and you can create your own (Doro)
    2. Firework fuses go faster if you don’t light the removable wax protective covers(amulford)
    3. Neighbors are not safe if amulford is in charge of the fireworks….(nor are their lawn decorations)
    4. Dew is something that can be dangerous if you’re not prepared for it.
    5. Fireworks can be ‘repaired’
    6. Wrestling is fun to watch…(anonymous….lol)
    7. I am NOT from Venus (effers)
    8. Rental cars can randomly spit at you while you’re inside the cabin (without sunroof, rain, or leaks)….I still don’t know about this one….
    9. Sleestak’s somehow still come into conversation (don’t remember the context, but it came up…..lol)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited October 2004
    Looks like a blast guys. Wish I coulda been there. I'll be there for the next one though, and I'll bring my LSiW. ;)
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2004
    Did anyone end up with the cables I sent down?

Dave
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    I think Gunny ate them...

Is somebody going to be posting pics of:
    - hwm's sweet lil' Ten-nuh-see Speakers Co. speakers?
    - his Eosomes?

Missed snappin both of them.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2004
    Dave,

Yes, they were given away as one of the prizes. I took a picture on Mark's camera, but I don't remember who the winner was. The photos will be posted soon.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    EDIT: Moved to other thread...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• dave shepard
    edited October 2004
    Thanks, I was wondering cause I left it up to Troy to do what he liked (keep or give away as prize).

Dave
  • TroyD
    edited October 2004
    Dave,

The lovely Wendi won the speaker wire and gave it to RuSsMaN...can't remember off the top of my heed who the IC's went to, lemme think...

BDT
  • dave shepard
    edited October 2004
    I'm hopeing they enjoy them and it gives an improvement to their systems sound.

Thanks

Dave
  • Lindasdoing
    Lindasdoing Posts: 11
    edited October 2004
    He Guys...
    Thanks for the recent pictures of my family.
    I havent seen the kids since DAD had the BIG ONE.. Gunny hasnt chaged a bit.
    Loved all the pictures... you all should come to Maine... thats where the carvers came from....
    Mom (mrs cleaver)
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    LoL... BDT, the whole fam damly's postin' now...

Be careful Linda, folks here will tell you that I never turn down an invitation...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2004
    Ok,

Linda I'm coming :)

See that you live in Maine my father is from Maine, with some of his family. My wife said she like to retire to New Hampshire but you said it too weird there (If I recall correctly fact in some Beer) so hey may retire just one state over slightly north, looking from Florida that's not a big difference.

Well just kidding but if I ever got up there I'll look you up.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• TroyD
    edited October 2004
    we have a mystery to be solved.................
    a week ago we received some flowers in a smiley face cup with the card reading "sorry we missed the polk fest, us"--tried to find the culprit.......didnt want to seem unthankful. They were very nice and very much a surprise. So thank you, thank you very much. Thought maybe it was Doro and Russman since they mentally checked out hours into the fest! then the ever so gracious "jersey grands", but neither of those. So it is a mystery, can you help? thanks a mil!!!! they are so pretty.

Lovely Wendi & BDT
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Wendi, are you postin' sittin' on BDT's lap again???...........

(Good God... set it up and now I can't bring myself to close it... Lil' help... :D )
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• TroyD
    edited October 2004
    is there any other way? Troy says it makes him type faster! ye haw! I was never this crude until corrupted by the polk fest! ha!

LW
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by TroyD
    is there any other way? Troy says it makes him type faster! ye haw! I was never this crude until corrupted by the polk fest! ha!

LW

You go Girl........... :D

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    (OK... I'm ready now...)

So that makes two of you "posting" simultaneously in the same chair... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• TroyD
    *COUGH*

Dusting off the thread from the very first edition of Carolina Polkfest....a lot of GREAT memories!

Polkfest is a blast. Looking forward to seeing some old friends and making some new ones in a few short weeks!!