Polkfest, 9 Oct 2004, Charleston SC- be there!!!

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited October 2004
    I had a wonderful time seeing familiar faces, and meeting new friends. It really is impossible to express how cool this event was....probably moreso from the memory loss I am experiencing.

I will elaborate more formally when I am discharged from the hospital.

John - Jesse has that "I wanna show you something" look on his face doesn't he?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited October 2004
    Well just returned home from the fest, what a great time, with so many good people.

My boys immediately gobbled up the POLK freebies I brought home with me and there were plenty to go around, hats, shirts, mugs, all very nice, great give aways for just showing up.

Have to say Troy is the ultimate in making folks feel at home and Wendi has the paitence of Jobe and the grace of Diana.

Did discover that rum and SDA can have a strange effect on me causing "random thoughts" a sort of full streaming without compression. If you there you understand, if you were not, oh well. Was just an awesome time, with all the gear, the Amazings are all I imagined and then some.

RT1
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2004
    Any extra left-over freebies? hint,hint.... Glad to hear everyone had good time (as though there was any dought). You guys will sleep good tonight that's for sure. I will be sure to make the next one near me.

Dave
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Dave - Email me your address. I have a Polk Audio baseball cap and a promotional literature pack I'll send you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2004
    Can I BUY a Polk Banner from somewhere? I'm not looking for any freebies, but information on that would be cool. I noticed Troy had at least 2 in his garage based on the picture I saw.
  • dave shepard
    dave shepard Posts: 1,334
    edited October 2004
    Thanks Doro, E-mail sent. Did anyone go home with the cables I sent?

Dave
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited October 2004
    Is there a left over hat someone wouldnt mind sending my way??

That'd be my new hat! w00t w00t

:cool:
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2004
    I'm with Demi. I wouldn't mind buying a banner either.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited October 2004
    That first pic is hilarious. I fully expected a Jamestown story in the late evening new! Sounds like a fantastic time by all.
  • VR3
    edited October 2004
    Did yall kill Sean or what? LOL
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited October 2004
    Well the better half, myself, and our son just want to say that we had a great time and want to give a HUGE thank you to troy and the ever so gracious wendy for all of their warm hospitality while we were there. Also a many,many thanks to troy for the pre he gave to my son, he is still floatin on cloud nine and bugged the hell out of me on the way back about getting it hooked up as soon as we got back home. Oh yeah, and now that Misty has heard the amazings I have been cleared to find a pair as soon as the funds allow it.

Got to hear some really great sounding gear (and believe me there was a ton of it there) I just could not get enough of those wonderful sounding pres with tube stage. I have made some new friends and finally was able to put some faces with the names,they are a great group of guys and I feel fortunate to have meet all of them. The highlight was getting to meet Paul and Al and having a listen to some of their thoughts on audio and otherwise and getting to know them on a more personal basis.

Hey doro, hows that shin man? At least the bush broke your fall and you where able to protect yourself.:D Oh and, ppg comin at ya soon bro.

Take care you guys,
    Mike
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2004
    WOW, what a weekend!

Troy and Wendi are unequaled hosts. I am and I'm sure everyone that was there is grateful for their hospitality and generosity. Let me tell you, Troy is a lucky man to have the lovely Wendi in his life.....what a woman!

It was great to see a few folks I'd met before and great to finally put a face with a bunch of other great folks from the forum. I look forward to meeting all of them again. Each and everyone of them is welcome here any time.

Al and "Polk" Paul are very cool guys, they took all of us crazies in stride. My hat is off to them and Polk Audio for all their support.

Troy already said this, but if there is one thing that stood out in my mind about all the gear...............'there is no substitute for radiating surface area and a real mans amp' and Troy has both in spades. The Amazing rig set up is awesome!!! I found myself drawn back into the "Cave" time and time again. That's a world class rig you've got there, thanks for letting us enjoy it. As if that wasn't enough, he has another big rig set up with the Polk SDA SRS 2.3TL's. Again, simply awesome!

One word of caution to anyone visiting Troy and Wendi for the first time, do not put your hand anywhere near Gunny's mouth...:D

If there is one word to sum up the Polkfest weekend it would be excellent, just excellent!

Jesse
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited October 2004
    Ok...

So wheres the pics already??:mad:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2004
    Sid, ENOUGH already, you'll all get pics after due process. Quit effin up the thread.

Oh, and just so you guys know, I did finally find my liver, it was outback, just off the rear deck in the grass.

Still having flashes, and brief visual recalls of events transpired. Just wanted to say I'm sorry, publically, to all attendees - just in case.

We blew the doors of this one, BELIEVE IT.

Me and my bro Mark - one word ****'s "HARDCORE".

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    edited October 2004
    LOL

Alright alright... Ill be patient...

I wish I woulda come dangit...dangit...dangit

Sounds like yall had a good time!!!

I am envious...
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2004
    congrats on a very successful and fun Polkfest 2004.

I too wish I could have made it.. but wasn't able to.

I look forward to the pics too.

cheers, al

P.S. If anyone has any leftover large Polk T-shirts... i'd love to have one. i'll pay postage even. thx
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    So wheres the pics already??:mad:
    Sid....Russ just said it well (as did I with my eloquent "SHUT UP", but you're not getting it.

You need to wrap your head around the fact that we weren't snappin up pics so that we could run to a computer and upload them for your enjoyment. Maybe you'll realize that we were having fun, and in that having fun, that meant NOT HEARING FROM YOU saying the same things 10 times in a thread.... :rolleyes:
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • brettw22
    edited October 2004
    Sorry, and this isn't meant to be a cranky thing, but those that are (even thinking about) asking for freebies........please stop.........

People that attended the gathering made schedule changes and did whatever they needed to do to get there to listen to different gear/speakers. Polk was kind enough to provide things to those that attended, which they obviously weren't obligated to do.

I know everyone wants freebies, but please don't verbalize how you feel cheated that you didn't get something for deciding to stay home.

I look forward to seeing the pictures posted in due time, but for now, am even more excited to be getting to bed before 4 and 5am...........:p
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Oh yes! If anybody has any pics they could e-mail me or a Polk "party favor" let me know.:(

Come on guys! This was planned far in advance and anybody that couldn't attend, simply couldn't. I'm sure pics will be posted, stories will be told, and extra freebies will be shared accordingly.

Let these guys get in their post coital nap and wait.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2004
    Brett,

That was a fairly un-thought out statement you made above. There are probably quite a few individuals who could not possibly attend, no matter how far in advance it was scheduled. Jstas was getting married on the 9th. Think HE wouldn't like to have been there? That's just one example.

It's easy to pick up and go if you've no obligations other than to yourself.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • brettw22
    edited October 2004
    GG.....who knows.....I was tired last night.

I think it was just that people hadn't even made it home, (or the gathering had even ended) that seemed a little rushed to lay claim on freebies....

Obviously those that have things they want to give away can......just seemed a little inappropriate at the time......oh well.
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    Wendi - You held most of us together at some point over that weekend, you are pure gold :D I can't wait for you two to visit me up here for some DC/Baltimore action.

Troy - I love you man!

Russ - "Hardcore?" **** man...."F'N Hardcore" is more like it. If you ever want two drunk, non-stop giggling, private joke telling effer's to stop by and potentially insult or offend everyone in the home...go no farther than me and my homeboy Russman. I have laughed enough for another lifetime.

Al and Paul - Thanks so much for taking the time to join us, it was incredible. If you want to talk serious mind blowing audio, these Polk guys can hook you up. Your participation in this festival of spinning lights and speakers means so much to those that attended, and those that will only be able to participate here in the forum.

Well, Polk forum peeps, I can't say anything that will change your life, other than Troy's rigs are in fact silly, silly bizzilly. System synergy is in full effect in that home. Perfect rigs....period.

The group of guys that showed up from our little piece of the world are fantastic.

Nothing like talking to "Polk" Al, and pouring beer on yourself in mid conversation....and not just accidental pouring, massive pouring, the cup of which for some reason wasn't anywhere near my mouth. Stupid depth perception. I lost all my cool points.

Russ(Hoosier) - You are a gentleman and a scholar. If there was anybody I've met in my life that says the right thing at the right time...it's you dude. That "Attaboy" while Russman is puking off the deck is a classic. Actually the fact that you conned him into thinking it would make him feel better is also pretty sweet.

Bruce(Tour) - Good lord do you like to travel. I enjoyed the alcohol and cigar intake with you, and your accidental electrocution on that amp was pretty funny...I mean, ahem, had me concerned :)

Brett(Duh) - It was great to see Brett, in all his sarcastic action, but he really is a nice guy in person and a pleasure to chat with. He only picked on me a couple times ;) Furthest travelled award goes to Brett....Phoenix, AZ - Polkfest or Bust.

Ted(Reel) - You are a mountain of a man, and remind me to keep you away from the Rum next time ;) Thanks for your help on the firearms training for my wife. I'll have her running tactical entry in no time.

Steve(Shack) - Excellent BS'n with you, and yes I was serious about the SDA's LOL Jesse said you kept on asking him if I was serious :) We'll talk later man.

Florida Steve(DJ) - Glad I could entertain you with some "I'm sure to regret" photos....or was that Russman's camera...hmmmm. You are quiet guy, but all about audio when you get rolling.

Mike(HWM) - I loved meeting your entourage, and thanks for the TShirt. I'll get one down for trade soon. It was great to hear those Tennessee Sound Company speakers, they may not be mindblowing, but not too damn shabby at all. A neat looking speaker to say the least. Yes, my shin is ok :)

I fought the bush, and the....bush won.

Jesse(F1) - Thanks for getting me to my room on Friday, as I certainly don't remember a damn thing past....well I'm not even sure about that. :) You couldn't ask for a better traveling companion than my friend Mr. V.

Anthony(Amulford) & Sean(Zero) - Anthony is another late nighter, and left to our own devices, firetrucks could easily have been involved. Great to hear the RT2000's finally, and they certainly don't lack bass. Sean, nice to see you again, although it wasn't very much. This boy was demo'n his **** off that night!

AK Dave(DAG) - Thanks for chatting, and hope you enjoy the RCV. I look forward to talking with you again on AK or here.

My summary experience of the whole weekend:

I was saying goodbye to my friend Russ Abernathy....hand outstretched....and as I look up at Russ' smiling face....which is beaming and with a content, peaceful, all knowing look on his face....he sums it up in a singular word and a smile...."Excellent."

No crying, hugging, joke telling, pats on the back or ****....just a word...."Excellent."

And you know what, your damn right.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    I think most everyone who contributes to this forum on a regular basis would have LOVED to be at Polkfest.. but some of just couldn't make it.. for whatever reason... even though this was planned months and months in advance.

If this was held anywhere on the West coast.. i'd be 99% sure i'd be able to attend.. East coast gathering for some of us few Polkies out West just isn't possible.

Not to start WWIII or anything.. just for my own curiousity.... how many folks would be able to attend a gathering in LA for instance? That's a long way from the East. Even with plenty of notice.. some folks just wouldn't be able to attend. no matter how much they would like to.

So please don't bad mouth anyone who couldn't attend.. but would have liked to.

:cool:
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2004
    John,

I forgot to answer your question.....let's just say I was happy!

kidding, just kidding :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2004
    First and formost I want to thank Troy and Wendi (It is quite obvious that Troy married UP if you know what I mean) for opening up their home for a bunch of crazy folks for an entire weekend! The level of committment of time, money and patience by them was huge.

I can't say that the bar was raised from Russ' gathering since I was not there....But I will say that the standard for one of these gatherings has now been set so high that just duplicating it will be be a feat unto itself!

I was out gas money and a hotel room....that's all. Burgers, dogs, brats, baked beans and beer (and various non-alcohol beverages) on Fri. night. Barbecue, fried chicken, rice, potato salad, slaw and more beer for lunch and dinner on Sat. Pizza and more beer late Sat. night (they took up money for the Pizza but by the time they got to me they didn't need any more). Eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, grits, donuts jucie, coffee for breakfast Sun. morning (I think most of the beer was gone....). I don't eat this good at home.

We got to meet Troy and Wendi's family. Even the neighbors came over on Sat. night after they realized that Troy's home had not been taken over as a halfway house for the criminally insane.

Paul and Al were a blast....They actually seemed to enjoy talking to us and were very open and candid about Polk and what they do. The door prize they brought to the gathering was was rightfully won by the most deserving attendee...Troy!

Thank you Al, Paul and Polk for the support!

I want to thank Frank at Signal Cable for his support of the forum and the event. Especially since I walked away with a nice pair of 8' Double Run Signal Speaker cables as a door prize.

The opportuity to listen to new (to me) gear and music was a blast. While it didn't cost me that much to attend the gathering....the aftermath could be VERY expensive. The old saying "you don't know what you are missing...until you KNOW " is very true. More gear, more music....but hey...it's only money and you can't take it with you.

Unfortunately the golf outing did not take place. I was able to stop and play on the way down to Troys and also on the way back so I got my golf fix in. A round of golf with this bunch could have been interesting. However, it was probably for the best since no respectable course would have let this bunch out to destroy their course and insult the other golfers.

The Polkies were great, I have seen pics of several of them on the forum...but meeting them in person was cool. A few moments to remember:

Tour running into the room yelling "Shack...come here...you gotta hear this" (more than once)

Doro fighting the bush and he was OWNED!

Hotwheelman's 10 year old son talking about what gear he has and what UPGRADES he wants.

Doro "power napping" on the floor.

Someone running into Troy's mancave where the Amazings are housed yelling "you guys are not safe in here...at least outside you can see the bottle rockets comming!".

Zero explaining why upgradable/modifiable gear is not a good idea for him.

DAGLJAM6 establishing permanent residence in Troy's mancave. Seems like once he hooked up his Jolida CDP with Troy's Conrad Johnson pre and the Amazings...He just couldn't leave (except for essentials like beer and a smoke).

Amulford showing up hours behind everyone else on Fri. night but catching up and blowing right past everybody in record time...this guy knows how to party!

Reeltroulble1 mentioning something about having 10,000 or 25,000 or whatever firearms in his library. I think his gear at home is safe!

There are countless more...but I leave that for others.

I hope that I have made some REAL new friends this weekend. Not just names on an online forum. I know that if there is another of these little soiries I will make every effort to attend...not so much for the gear...but for the people I met and would like to see again. I would welcome any one of the folks I met in my home. And for all of you guys that said "If you are ever in my area....come by to see me" I hope you meant it....because I will.

I agree with Mark, quoting Russ....."EXCELLENT"
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited October 2004
    Wish I could have been there. I'm pretty sure I told Troy I couldn't make it when he invited me some months back because I just don't have the financial means to go to one of these things right now. I'd really like to because I feel kind of misunderstood around here and that's hard to deal with when you have so many people that actually know one another.

Ah well, I know the tides will change in due time, but there is just too much on my plate right now. Glad everyone had a good time!
  • dorokusai
    edited October 2004
    DB - I have a T-Shirt for you, XL OK? Email me your addy again.
  • danger boy
    edited October 2004
    Doro,

XL is fine.. i can fill it out.. since i've been working out.. my bulging muscles will look great in a Polk shirt. :rolleyes: :p

I will email you my addy. when i get home later today.

thanks, al
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2004
    Ok, A group question.

Does anyone care if I posted pictures some funny, some cool, whatever pictures. But all my pictures are of people not gear.

Sorry I was there for the people.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• VR3
    edited October 2004
    YES!! POST!!! POST!!!

I wanna see EVERY PICTURE!

Since.....you know...like........

No one ever sent me pictures of the baltimore gathering....