Home cookin' flac files...questions

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,521
edited August 2016 in Going Digital
If I want to create a "Stevie's 80's hits" album from flac files, can I simply copy & paste songs from various artists into a folder I create? Will it play correctly? I never tried it.

Would I need to do some tag editing to correctly rename "album" "track number" etc for each song; or am I over-simplifying?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Depends on what you're using for playback, but I do that very thing with a USB flash drive on my AVR. I place all the songs of a given artist/album I want to hear (in the order I want to hear them) in a dedicated folder...and then play that folder. Some devices will read through sub-directories, etc., but not the major AVRs. I use a simple letter/number pre-fix on each file name to make sure albums/tracks play in the order I want them.
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    How about just creating a playlist?
  • steveinaz
    Source is an Oppo BDP-103 with a USB Hard drive attached. Not sure how the Oppo does playlists, I'll have to look into that.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    steveinaz wrote: »
    If I want to create a "Stevie's 80's hits" album from flac files, can I simply copy & paste songs from various artists into a folder I create? Will it play correctly? I never tried it.

Would I need to do some tag editing to correctly rename "album" "track number" etc for each song; or am I over-simplifying?

You would need to make a playlist with whatever software you use to play those FLAC files back.

For example; if you use Media Monkey to play your files, then you would need to create the playlist in Media Monkey.

If you use Sonos, then it would need to be created with the Sonos software.

Not sure if the Oppo gives that option.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    How about just creating a playlist?

You can only create it within the software of the player you are using to playback said files.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I just tried pretty much what you're looking to do (I think), I created a "set" of songs
    on a brand new USB thumb drive using a simple Windows 10 laptop.
    I dragged 5 files into a folder I labeled DEMO, (two MP3s, 2 .flac, 1 WAV) and popped the drive into the front USB port on my 103. It recognized the folder on the drive, and played the songs in the order I copied them to the drive. I did not assign any numbers
    or special tags, and even rearranged the songs back on my laptop, and it played them in their new specific order. AFAIK you can't change the order within the Oppo menu at all.

In other words, basically what @StantonZ did but without adding numbers?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2016
    Polrbehr; Cool. Interesting that it arranged them by order of copying. You'd think you would have to edit the tags and reassign track numbers. I'll play with this tonight.

Basically like making a mixed cassette tape concept. The Oppo has a playlist function, but I have never used it.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Since the Oppo recognizes the files/folders, when creating the files on your PC you can possibly once they are loaded add a number in front of each song and to a sort by name, then move the folder to thumb drive....IDK
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited August 2016
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Polrbehr; Cool. Interesting that it arranged them by order of copying. You'd think you would have to edit the tags and reassign track numbers. I'll play with this tonight.

Basically like making a mixed cassette tape concept. The Oppo has a playlist function, but I have never used it.

I wasn't sure if that was the case, that's why I removed the drive back to my laptop and deleted all 5 songs, then copied them back in a different order. The 103
    played them in the order they were copied again. Only thing is, I don't believe adding a number will have any effect on how the 103 "sees" the file list. Back to the drawing board...

I think @txcoastal1 is correct, if you assign numbers to the songs you've added and sort them before you copy them to your device, the 103 will simply play them as they appear.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • steveinaz
    Yep. I have my EAC setup to rip songs: 01-Songtitle.flac format.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Keep us posted Steve
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have a Fiio x5 portable player, that you can use up to 2 200gig microSD cards in it and the only way you can use playlist on it is doing exactly what you mentioned.

got folders called Hrock - newwave -punk - jazz etc.. let me know how it works with the oppo 103
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2016
    So far what I have found, the Oppo 103 will only save 1 playlist; so it appears creating your own mixed music folders is the only option. I haven't played with creating my own mixes yet, I'll mess with that this afternoon.

Playlist: You create a playlist by pressing the *options* button on the remote while playing a song you want to save, then select "add to playlist."