SVS 25-31 PC+ on the way...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
Due here next Wednesday. I'll probably take the day off and play with the settings and see how it goes. I've got my most bass heavy CD's lined up and ready to go. I'm going to start with all ports open/25Hz tune point; 60Hz on the xo (and work my way down) and very little gain at first. I've moved my towers out about 6" more from the back wall to decrease their bass response a little. Once I get that dialed in, I'll start messing with the phase settings...pics and data to come...
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited April 2004
    Options
    That model is certainly the bruiser in the Plus cylinder line-up. It won't disappoint, that's for sure. Looking forward to hearing your impressions. I think your approach is a good one - start at 60 and work down and start low on the gain and work up.

I think you'll probably end up somewhere around 40-45 Hz. My RT800i are rated to 42 Hz -3 dB and they don't really do justice to low E (around 40 Hz) on a bass guitar.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2004
    Options
    41Hz spot on for the low E on the bass guitar.

Depending on your music, a lot of more recent metal / rock bands are drop-D tuning (starting at D, instead of E on the 1st string), going even lower. Godsmack, Days of the New, etc.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    41Hz spot on for the low E on the bass guitar.

Depending on your music, a lot of more recent metal / rock bands are drop-D tuning (starting at D, instead of E on the 1st string), going even lower. Godsmack, Days of the New, etc.

Cheers,
    Russ

That's an interesting tidbit, Russ. I thought I noticed some really deep bass guitar work on some recent stuff, but I wasn't sure why/how. Didn't know they were tuning them lower than E. How low would D be, then?

SVS
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2004
    Options
    37Hz from a quick search online.

Sounds about right.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Dr. Spec
    Do you run your RT800i's full range?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Dr. Spec
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Dr. Spec
    Do you run your RT800i's full range?

God, no. Digital high pass at 80 Hz to the PB2-Ultra for all applications.

The FR with the SVS in the loop is actually smoother than the RT800i on full range. The 800i on full exhibits a mild peak at around 50 Hz that the SVS does not.

The 3803 is such a flexible AVR that I can compare (on the fly and at the same exact calibration and playback level) a redbook CD in three modes:

1) Through the 2900 using its DACs and BM and the external analog inputs with the 800/SVS.

2) Through the 2900/3803 using the digital coax and the 3803 DACs and BM with the 800/SVS.

3) Through the 2900/3803 using the digital coax and the 3803 DACs and the 800's on full range with no SVS.

Pretty interesting and informative to tab on the fly between all three to hear the differences between the player, the AVR, and the 800/SVS and 800 alone.

Russ - thanks. 37 Hz huh? For sure the 800's are losing ground rapidly at that point - this just reinforces the need for extra low end on today's music. Of course the 800's are far from bottom feeders, but you know what I mean.

SVS
  • shiu
    shiu Posts: 169
    edited April 2004
    Options
    What are the frequencies of each string of the double bass?
  • pjdami
    pjdami Posts: 1,894
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Steve,

Congrats on the purchase. I saw in another thread that you were a little nervous. Don't sweat it. After you get it you will probably be kicking your **** about why didn't you do this a long time ago. I sure did. Trying to find an unhappy or dissatisfied SVS owner is like hunting down a Sasquatch; you may find a footprint here or there, a blurry picture, but no physical evidence:D

Your SVS 25 - 31 PC+ will perform very similarly to my PB1+. Its almost the same exact design in fact but cylinder vs. box and some few extras on the PB1+ like a PEQ and wood finish. You will not know the sub is there unless you turn it off. In the 25 hz tune with all ports open, mine digs down flat to 20 hz with a little room gain and its not even corner loaded.

Russ makes a good point. Graphing and making charts is fun but ultimately your ears will decide what is best. For me, the charts and my ears seemed to agree though pretty much.

Are you going to split the preamp outputs on your MF preamp to send the sub a signal or will you run it the speaker wire method?

PJ
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2004
    Options
    Pjdami: My Parasound HCA has "looping outputs", essentially another set of preamp outputs--very handy as you know the A3CR has only 1 set of outputs. I'll be running a Monster interconnect from there to the subs low-level input. I never liked the idea of using the high-level connecion.

Thanks for reassuring me on this purchase...I'm sweatin' bullets!