2016-2017 Dodge Durango RT

2»

Comments

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Dodge isn't a company. Shiat-Chrysler is.

Fixed it for you
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    I wouldn't have any issues with buying a dodge they are all pretty darn good nowadays. They do seem to rust a couple years sooner than most, but other than that, pretty good.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I wouldn't have any issues with buying a dodge they are all pretty darn good nowadays. They do seem to rust a couple years sooner than most, but other than that, pretty good.

I just experienced yet another day in hell due to these fine quality cars.... no thanks
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2016
    In the last 15 years I've owned a jeep wrangler, 2 dodge Dakotas a dodge ram, a dodge status, and a jeep grand Cherokee. Never had a single problem, did the maintenance and they never failed me.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,707
    My current Chrysler has 100k, other than regular oil changes, brakes and tires nothing else has been required.

John, sounds like you need to find a job not involving automobiles.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    I don't know, sounds like John's experience is more in line with expectations than yours...

4o6secn2lc20.jpg

That ranking was done covering 740,000 cars. How many did you all own?
  • jeremymarcinko
    That chart means nothing.
  • Paradoxex
    How is that? Here's the rest of the context.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cars/how-car-brands-compare-for-reliability/

Let's be clear, you're giving your experience based on past makes and models, many of which predate the current ownership of the Dodge brand. How do you know a new Durango even approximates the same type and quality of SUV you bought in the past?

No offense, but it's a little rich to disavow a preponderance of evidence just because it doesn't jive with your anecdote. Cognitive dissonance is a thing, you know.
  • jeremymarcinko
    edited July 2016
    You should feel good about yourself you seem so intelligent.

This is an internet forum where we exchange experiences.
    Data based on surveys are biased and not reliable and that one is no exception.
  • F1nut
    I wouldn't base anything on what CR says, you shouldn't either.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Paradoxex
    That's fine...I'm just adding to the greater wealth of knowledge in this thread.
    nooshinjohn gave his experience, and you two countered with individual stories that, while valid, draw from far less experience and savvy than he brings to the table.

I brought a collection of knowledge from owners of 740k cars; two current and former Chrysler owners responded with petty ad hominem attacks saying CR is worthless. I am sure your n=1 is a better source than n=740,000 or however many owners that represents. Statistics be damned.

Besides, the real problem with your stories is that the company was taken over for good in 2014. How many cars did you buy since then? Because if the answer is 0, you aren't comparing apples to apples. I'm just trying to put information that's relevant to the decision being made today, to buy a car made under the current management.
  • F1nut
    For one thing, John just got that job after selling TV's and such, so I wouldn't put much weight in his experience. Now, if he had been a service writer for a number of different car companies over the past 20 years.....

My buddy owns full service gas station. One of his mechanics worked for BMW for a very long time. Listening to him talk you'd never buy one. What does he drive now you ask? A Chrysler. The other mechanic drives a Dodge as does my buddy's brother.

CR was a good source for consumer goods once, but that time has long past.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited July 2016
    F1nut wrote: »
    For one thing, John just got that job after selling TV's and such, so I wouldn't put much weight in his experience. Now, if he had been a service writer for a number of different car companies over the past 20 years...

Now that you mention it... Aside from being a car guy since I was knee-high to a frog, I have 25 years experience with every type of car from my days of taking every model imaginable apart to put cell phones in them to twelve plus as a service advisor for three different manufacturers and building them on assembly lines, the TV thing was a side thing to get by for a while...

In the year and a half I have been with mopar, I have seen thing that would scare you from even opening the door on one. An example... my shop foreman owns a Hellcat Charger. He does not abuse his car in any way. At 481 miles a bolt backed out inside the differential and the car got a new rear end. Less than 900 miles later. The harmonic balancer came off. Two months later and the car is waiting still for a new engine.

I have had communication with other advisors, and they too have had similar experiences. In all my time writing service specifically, I have never seen so many problems. I won't question anyone else and their experiences. My store sells 200 plus units a month, but we also process 25 to 30 Lemon law cars in that time span. When I was at GM, we sold 900 a month, and did less than 10 buy-backs.

No doubt most get a good car, but the problem ones really scare the crap out of me... Today we had 4 PDI Rams, and the bolts for the wheels on these trucks had several on each that were nowhere near proper torque, three lugs missing, and a couple bolts just hand tight.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Fair enough John.

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    F1nut wrote: »
    For one thing, John just got that job after selling TV's and such, so I wouldn't put much weight in his experience. Now, if he had been a service writer for a number of different car companies over the past 20 years...

Now that you mention it... Aside from being a car guy since I was knee-high to a frog, I have 25 years experience with every type of car from my days of taking every model imaginable apart to put cell phones in them to twelve plus as a service advisor for three different manufacturers and building them on assembly lines, the TV thing was a side thing to get by for a while...

In the year and a half I have been with mopar, I have seen thing that would scare you from even opening the door on one. An example... my shop foreman owns a Hellcat Charger. He does not abuse his car in any way. At 481 miles a bolt backed out inside the differential and the car got a new rear end. Less than 900 miles later. The harmonic balancer came off. Two months later and the car is waiting still for a new engine.

I have had communication with other advisors, and they too have had similar experiences. In all my time writing service specifically, I have never seen so many problems. I won't question anyone else and their experiences. My store sells 200 plus units a month, but we also process 25 to 30 Lemon law cars in that time span. When I was at GM, we sold 900 a month, and did less than 10 buy-backs.

No doubt most get a good car, but the problem ones really scare the crap out of me... Today we had 4 PDI Rams, and the bolts for the wheels on these trucks had several on each that were nowhere near proper torque, three lugs missing, and a couple bolts just hand tight.
    That's crazy. I have seen a shift to Dodge , Ram , Jeep over the last several years with those brands on the road. They seem to be whats selling today more then others. Well at least in my area anyway.
    My Wife has a Jeep 2015 Renegade and it only has 7k on it and it's been good so far, time will tell. It's a fund vehicle and she likes it a Lot.
    My best friend has a 2015 Ram 1500 Pickup Truck with a Hemi engine and that truck is awesome. He has about 20k on it now and he has had no issues and loves his truck.
    I also have another friend who had a older model Ram Pickup truck and had all kinds of issues with the rear and transmission. He sold it and went German.
    I think all companies have issues with certain models but I'm looking at the Durango and would like to know if there are issues with it that you have seen. After driving one , I drove the RT HEMI I can't stop myself from wanting to get it. I'm gonna lease it so I'm no considering buying one. I don't buy vehicles anymore as I feel it's a waste of money. My leases I get are amazingly cheap and I get to drive brand new cars or trucks every 3 years with no worries of issues as far as out of pocket expense.
    But I don't want to get Durango RT and have it spend most of it's life in the shop either. I still have to pay a lease payment and I would prefer to drive what I leased then a Loaner of who knows what.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2016
    In the last 15 years I've owned a jeep wrangler, 2 dodge Dakotas a dodge ram, a dodge status, and a jeep grand Cherokee. Never had a single problem, did the maintenance and they never failed me.

A serious question: How many miles per vehicle?

FWIW, I think the magnitude of how things go after 100-150 k miles is where there starts to be significant differentiation between the various marques.

My benchmark used to be 100k miles; but now it is 200k -- cars really are better than they used to be... unlike hifi equipment ;-) (kidding, kidding)

We did 181k on our '88 Chevy Corsica (only major repair was a head gasket at about 150k); 188k on my '00 Ford Focus ZX-3 (which I handed down to our daughter/son-in-law who got it to over 225k before fatal rusting around the rear suspension claimed it); my 01 Toyota Tacoma is at 188k -- beat up but running well.

(the freakin' Focus did 225k on its original clutch, which strikes me as mind-boggling given that most of those miles were logged in the brutal Boston metropolitan area)

... and of course, Mrs. H's Escape Hybrid was just claimed (mostly) by rust similar to that of the Focus -- at 246k.

28371614662_5fdd4f6561_b.jpg002 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

All of the above, of course, is strictly anecdotal.

Our family's history with the occasional Mopar product (dating back to my parents' 1957 Plymouth) has been abysmal (also, of course, anecdotal).

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    In the interest of balanced anecdotal reports, here's a counterpoint posted elsewhere by the obviously very satisfied owner of a 1999 Dodge p/u (Cummins Diesel powered):
    http://www.hifihaven.org/forum/non-audio/43460-rare-day-our-house?p=43551#post43551