weird (? burning) smell

Last week, I was listening to my lsim705 loud for about half an hour. After I was done and turned everything off, I noticed a weird smell from the front of the room. Smelled like something had gotten heated up, maybe burnt. I smelled around the amp and preamp, but didnt notice anything there. I seemed to be from the upper speaker area of the one lsim705m, but I wasn't 100 percent certain. The speakers did not sound any different while I was listening to them. I tried listening to them today at moderate volumes and both sides seem to be working ok/sounding the same. How can I check to make sure they are ok? Also, is it normal to not see much movement at all in the upper cone? What frequency does it play?

Thanks
lsim705,lsim706c,lsif/x(4)+mc80(atmos)
rti6,csi5,fxi5

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Sounds like burning crossover. I did this on my lsi 15's and they did play fine after, but once pulled apart a small resistor was burned. There is a crossover in the upper section of the speaker right behind the tweeter. It is normal for the small driver by the tweeter, not to move much.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Get a look at the crossover betting the resistor looks brown may need to replace with same ohm rating but higher wattage. I'd do both speakers if it is toasted.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Rock 'n Roll and beans.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gurot1
    gurot1 Posts: 519
    msg wrote: »
    Rock 'n Roll and beans.

You guys are too much!

Anything I can check without opening up the speakrs? Also, how does one take apart the speaker...looks like a shame to even touch those beautifully finished speakers.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited July 2016
    Has the smell disappeared after a cool down? Or does the amp or pre still have the stench of burnt circuit?
  • gurot1
    I didnt notice any smell today.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • lightman1
    Hmmm... Sounds like the speas were running hot. Keep a keen ear out on the highs. Not too familiar with the crossovers on those.
    Dave @westmassguy might chime in on the removal and inspection.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Sounds like the speas were running hot. Keep a keen ear out on the highs. Not too familiar with the crossovers on those.
    Dave @westmassguy might chime in on the removal and inspection.

No clue on that model. Polk Tech support may be able to help:
    Tech/Product Support
    9AM-5:30PM EST Mon-Fri
    1-800-377-POLK (7655) Option 1
    If it's a burned resistor, might be wise to do both crossovers, with a larger wattage Mills MRA.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited July 2016
    The burning smell would be a resistor. Looks to me like you are driving them with an AVR, which at high volume levels doesn't have a power supply capable of delivering clean, high current juice meaning you were likely in clipping range.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    gurot1 wrote: »
    Anything I can check without opening up the speakrs? Also, how does one take apart the speaker...looks like a shame to even touch those beautifully finished speakers.

I'm also not sure where the crossover boards are in this unit, however... I did learn that the driver mounting isn't such a mystery. The driver surrounds - those rubber gaskets - peel out, revealing regular mounting screws. I can't remember whether the upper array gasket uses thin double-sided tape as well as just the friction/compression mount, but it wouldn't be too difficult to replace if it does, and you were to find that it lost its stickiness.

Would still contact Polk Tech Support ahead of time if you're unsure.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gurot1
    edited July 2016
    I was trying to calibrate everything using rew...didnt realize my spl meter wasn't working and registering levels properly. I should have used my brain and been like this sounds much louder than 75 dB! I pushed the preamp to over 0...in hindsight I probably shouldn't have! Live and learn! I had given up on rew once the preamp was at 0 and was just listening to a cd of mostly vocals.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Last coupke of times I contacted polk support, they never returned my call, but that was a year ago. Without opening up the speaker, is there anything I can test from the outside? I personally don't hear a difference, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. All three lower drivers seen to be working fine and when I was listening to something after disconnecting jumpers on speaker terminals, both speakers sounded the same (the smell had only been coming from the other side last week.
    Also, make sure you pay attention to the battery test position of the spl meter...mine was reporting low. I listened to the sub using the old battery and a new one, the meter read much higher spl with the new battery in! This would have avoided the whole speaker smell issue in the first place! Live and learn
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • F1nut
    There is nothing you can check from the outside.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gurot1
    Will there be much of a difference in terms of the sound of the speaker? Any problems if I keep running them in current condition? With the three little monkeys that live with me, will be a while until I get a chance to open them up.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    Woud the lsim706 have similar tweeter/timbre as the lsim705? I could listen to that to see if sounds different when jumpers off.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    For that comparison you can just switch the Left & right speaker wires.
  • gurot1
    Good idea. I will try that. Yesterday I thought my one speaker was fubarred. It didn't sound right at all and no bass. Turned out I forgot to reconnect the jumpers. Doh!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • F1nut
    Your audiophile card has been revoked.

President of Club Polk

• lightman1
    ....and shredded accordingly.
    If they were wired out of phase, you might have gotten some leeway.
  • gurot1
    I never had that card yet! I still need way more experience.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • gurot1
    edited November 2017
    Thought I would update this thread...I was lazy and finally sent the speakers to the repair facility through best buy in September. Just got them back a few weeks ago. They replaced the mids. I havent had time to set them up and listen yet. Hopefully I won't have to break them in too much.
    rti6,csi5,fxi5
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    In all Lsim speakers, the low crossover is in the woofer sections behind the woofers.

The upper crossover is fastened behind the midrange unit on a cabinet wall.

Everything connects with quick disconnects and can be removed with a screw driver.

Not much room to play with though
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gurot1
    edited December 2017
    They replaced rd3202 drivers. At first when I hooked them up the other day they didn't sound good at all. They sound very dull with no life to them. Now I have left them on far a couple of evenings and when I listened to it this morning the sound has warmed up. It has been too long since listening to them before repair to reliably assess if they sound different than before but I would say they are a bit "warmer"sounding than before. I sent them in a few months ago as with the little ones in the house I wouldn't get the time to safely open them and inspect them without little supervisors watching me and potentially trying to fix the speakers themselves at a later date!
    rti6,csi5,fxi5