Input for my new Mac Mini setup is appreciated...

Been a while since I have posted here, but after moving into a new home with an expanded family I have downgraded from two HT rooms to one and not much room or budget to a separate stereo setup. At this point I purchased a new mac mini to use as the heart of my music system with the rest of the main components consisting of Def Tech Mythos ST speakers and a Pioneer Elite SC-68 powering them. I am leaning towards Amarra as the software to run along with iTunes to keep most of the airplay and features of iTunes. My first step, and the one I am hoping for some direction and/or input, is what DAC route to go with?

Currently I am debating between going budget minded and using an iFi nano dsd dac paired with a wireworld usb cable. I like all the files the iFi supports and relatively minimal approach and focus on the usb option. The other option I was considering is tracking down a Wadia 121 DAC or 151 Power DAC and same wireworld cable. Obviously, this is a more expensive option with more room to grow later, and Wadia seemed to nail the USB route sooner than others.

Thoughts, suggestions, general banter?

Comments

• stogie
    stogie Posts: 230
    I don't have any experience with the DAC's you mentioned but I am using a Mac Mini, running El Capitan, as a music server. I tried using iTunes, using Apple's remote app through an Ipad Mini, and didn't really care for the interface. Switched to JRiver and JRemote and am real pleased with the interface. I have not tried Amarra, so no comment there.
    My DAC is an EE MiniMax DAC Plus. If your Mac Mini is running El Capitan, I would not recommend this DAC. As of yet there is no USB driver released for this OS. So right now I have to use the optical out on the Mini but EE says a USB driver is being developed. (It's been several months and still no driver)
    Speakers: Polk SDA-SRS xovers rebuilt by David, RDO194's, Dynamat, BH5, glued magnets, new cloth, custom aluminum terminal plates with Cardas posts and Speakon interconnect
    Speaker Cables, Jumpers & Interconnect: DIY Douglas Connection
    Power Amp: Sunfire Architect's Choice Series II
    Preamp: Adcom GFP-750
    SACD/CD: Oppo BDP-95
    Tuner: Sansui TU-717
    TT: Technics SL-MA1
    Phono Pre: Emotiva XPS-1
    Music Server: Mac Mini w/JRiver - iPad w/JRemote
    DAC: Eastern Electric MiniMax Plus
    Other Polks: SDA: 1A, 1C, 2B, CRS+ / Monitor: 10A, 5jr, 4 / RT5
  • blueboxer
    blueboxer Posts: 621
    I believe I am running Yosemite, but am not entirely sure, that might just be the last screen I recall on my older laptop. I have always enjoyed peachtree products as well, but the dac-it seems a little long in the tooth now and at 1K for their new mi-fi dac there seems to be some more alluring options from Chord, Wadia, NAD, etc.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ^^^^Chord
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • blueboxer
    I had a feeling that would be the end result, they seem to be phenomenal pieces for the coin, especially the Hugo. Although considerably more than some of the options more suited for my limited system, at least it offers the option to add a more substantial two channel amp later.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    blueboxer, here is an interesting link that may give you some ideas and guidance. It is written by Paul McGowan of PS Audio.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps_how/how-to-build-a-music-server/
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • blueboxer
    That article is what initially peaked my interests. Just going with amarra instead and researching the dac portion. DSkip has been very helpful and I might have to take his parasound halo off his hands for it.
  • I know its been a while since this was all posted but was curious if you are still using this setup or if you've made any changes. Maybe went in another direction??
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Even though its his thread, he's more likely to get an email notification if you flag him: @blueboxer
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Ok thanks for the tip! I will repost and flag him.
  • Reposted with flag for blueboxer:
    I know its been a while since this was all posted but was curious if you are still using this setup or if you've made any changes. Maybe went in another direction??http://forum.polkaudio.com/profile/blueboxer
  • Ok I think I screwed that flag up I'll try again after work. LOL
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I already did in my post lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • OK thanks I'm not real up to speed on how to do some of this stuff on the forum. I know just enough to be dangerous. lol
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    blueboxer wrote: »
    Been a while since I have posted here, but after moving into a new home with an expanded family I have downgraded from two HT rooms to one and not much room or budget to a separate stereo setup. At this point I purchased a new mac mini to use as the heart of my music system with the rest of the main components consisting of Def Tech Mythos ST speakers and a Pioneer Elite SC-68 powering them. I am leaning towards Amarra as the software to run along with iTunes to keep most of the airplay and features of iTunes. My first step, and the one I am hoping for some direction and/or input, is what DAC route to go with?

Currently I am debating between going budget minded and using an iFi nano dsd dac paired with a wireworld usb cable. I like all the files the iFi supports and relatively minimal approach and focus on the usb option. The other option I was considering is tracking down a Wadia 121 DAC or 151 Power DAC and same wireworld cable. Obviously, this is a more expensive option with more room to grow later, and Wadia seemed to nail the USB route sooner than others.

Thoughts, suggestions, general banter?
    What about this setup

-Use the internal DAC of the SC-68. I use to have that receiver and it's internal DAC's are very good.
    -Run a dedicated HDMI cable from the Mac Mini to your display( You can't assign a HDMI input to the USB DAC which is stupid but there you have it)
    - Use a high quality USB cable from the Mac Mini to the USB DAC on the SC-68.
    - Y split the SUB OUT to both Mythos 10's for Sub info
    - Run the Mythos 10's in Large as well. This way when playing music you get your lower active notes from speaker level and not line level. The Mythos 10's work much better this way, I know I also have them.
    - Use high quality 2 conductor speaker wire and sub cables, Y adapter. I suggest looking into Audioquest.
    - Make sure you have a high quality surge protector / line conditioner. Dirty power and fluctuations in power hurt performance.
    - I have a very good dual sub calibration for the Mythos ST's, I posted it in here awhile back. If you need it, I can find it and post the link.
    - Running external DAC's can get pricey really quick and overall performance can be a lot better with the above suggestions. I did a lot of DAC shootouts and this is what I came up with for Dollar vs performance ratio's.
    - When your entire system is up to the highest standards( Yours) and you still want more then adding a high end DAC will help but very little. It would be more beneficial to get out of the SC-68 and start looking at separates. This is money better spent then on a DAC to better the internal SC-68's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.