Digital source - recs?

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,523
Looking for a new digital source, time to move from the Cary 306 SACD player.

Any recs? Looking for something that sounds analog, but retains the ability to stage and position instruments correctly.

Would like something that I can plug into a network down the line, perhaps something with USB inputs.

I know skip vouches for amr.

Anyone else?
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Anyone else?

Yes! Esoteric Grandioso Stack!

http://www.esoteric.jp/products/esoteric/p1d1/indexe.html

I normally don't rec MDs to buy cheap stuff. :smiley:
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    megasat16 wrote: »
    Anyone else?

I approve this message :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • megasat16
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Anyone else?

I approve this message :)

No offense to Skip, of course. AMR makes damn fine digital players!
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Anyone else?

I don't think my ears deserve that.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I was thinking Emm labs dac2x with tsdx transport...

My friend let me quickly borrow his and it blew away the Cary... But that was when I had Rockports
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Lots of good stuff about Lampizator Big 7.... but I worry about having tubes at the source. Plus awfully difficult to demo.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Good point haimoc, I was looking at that too... wonder how these 3 cmpare:

Esoteric K1 vs Emm DAC2x/TSDX transport vs Puccini.

• Joey_V
    Options
    Pretty close to reaching a deal with a guy for Emm labs dac2x and the tsdx transport. This will likely be a 3 month purchase process as I transition from Cary to Emm.

I read about Puccini and it seems like it is not on the same class.

Read as much as I could about Esoteric K1, and all these filters and breaking in of filters... Gets confusing after a while. Sometimes I do better without a myriad of choices or I'll drive myself nuts.

Emm I briefly heard with my Rockports, but without the transport tsdx. I was surprised to hear the degree of difference from the Emm Dac2x and the Cary. Honestly it's like one was hazy and the other focused.

I've had skip in house before and he brought over a hi end marantz and when we listened, I honestly could barely tell a delta between that marantz and the Cary. The degree of difference between those 2 were, to me, insignificant. The difference between the Cary 306sacd and the Emm dac2x was large.

I wish I could hear the Emm dac2x and transport combo in my current system, would be an easy decision for me to make then. There is risk here... If the transport is a moot point then I would have bought it for nothing and to sell a transport on its own on audiogon is fraught with peril.
  • megasat16
    Options
    No doubt Ed Meitner is your kind of guy and EMM labs stuff are made for Surgeons and MDs.

Excerpt from EMM LAbs PRE2-SE-Reference Preamp Ad -

The PRE2-SE also features our aerospace-grade composite laminate circuit boards. These provide several performance advantages over conventional boards:

Copper traces are microscopically smooth on top and bottom, significantly reducing skin effect issues

Just kidding! The EMM labs combo would be a pleasure to listen to for everyday use. You can lay your Cary rest easy now!

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    You know why that Cary doesn't sound up to snuff ? It's pissed off you took it out of Chicago. It doesn't like all that country music you've been shoving down it's throat. Easily rectified, send it to me....make it happy again. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    You know why that Cary doesn't sound up to snuff ? It's pissed off you took it out of Chicago. It doesn't like all that country music you've been shoving down it's throat. Easily rectified, send it to me....make it happy again. :)

Now y'all just be crazy
  • Joey_V
    Options
    It's done... I just bit the bullet

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It's done... I just bit the bullet

As long as you bit down on the primer end.
    Biting down on the other end makes a terrible mess.

Ohh....And congrats on the new toy. ;)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    It's a mess either way man
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I Move forward with baby steps when going digital. There is rapid tech changes in sampling rates and conectivity coming. Digital trasportation and conversion components are rolling out new specs all the time almost like bdp's with the value taking the same nose dive.

Why not go for a used midrange unit and then go for some kind of top of the line player highly spec'd ****. I finaly got my hands on the Marantz na 11 s1 network dac and its a great sounding unit. Paired up using balanced ic's and the Cary slp05 with a pair of mc501 monos I found myself realising the true nature of music deep within my soul discovering the fact that I now identify as pansexual !
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I went with a good priced, used pair of EMM Labs DAC2x and TSDX. I didn't want to buy brand new and I didnt want to spend the money on a K1x or the upcoming Emm Labs DA2 and new transport... as that costs a ridiculous amount.

So far, I had cold feet until I pulled the trigger... I feel decent about it right now.

My Cary already has a potential buyer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    What is your budget Joey? And do you need a cd drive or HDD? Or just a dac?
  • Joey_V
    Options
    My budget was between 10-15.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Just a dac and a transport. I can hook up a streamer later
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Hmm just saw a Berkeley alpha reference dac on audiogon for 9995$... That's the best deal I've seen yet. I thought these were 6 months back ordered.
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    Options
    I admire you, Joey. Are you going to get it?
  • megasat16
    Options
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I'm diggin' my Simaudio 780D DAC/Streamer
    Does everything I need including steaming native DSD direct from NAS without software conversion.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I can back that up 1000%. The detail in every track was presented with an elegant force.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    Options
    Joey,

All good choices mentioned. I personally like the Lamp DAC's. You really can't go wrong with any that has been mentioned as they are all in a league of their own. I have experienced pretty much all of those makers.

Versatility and Audio, I would give the Simaudio my vote. Set up once, forget about it. It's bad ****.

If the wind blows you towards my direction, I have a DAC you could take home and mess with.

Cheers man!

halen
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Just a dac and a transport. I can hook up a streamer later
    Based on your requirement, within your budget I would try to get an audition of a Vitus RCD-101. That is a true balanced SACD player with a heavily modified Sony drive and array of digital inputs (incl: DSD support without the need for drivers). The RCD-101 is based on sample rate conversion like the Signature series player & retains the essential Vitus dna, which is non-digital and very analogue-like sounding imho.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    halen wrote: »
    Joey,

All good choices mentioned. I personally like the Lamp DAC's. You really can't go wrong with any that has been mentioned as they are all in a league of their own. I have experienced pretty much all of those makers.

Versatility and Audio, I would give the Simaudio my vote. Set up once, forget about it. It's bad ****.

If the wind blows you towards my direction, I have a DAC you could take home and mess with.

Cheers man!

halen

Thanks halen
  • Joey_V
    Options

Yeah... That's the one alright. 9500 is a steal for that guy. I can send it in for reference 2 update... Of course that'll be another 3500$ so that'll suck