Just received a pair of REL T5 subs

I bought these T5 subs for use with a pair of KEF LS50 bookshelves. Although not dialed in completely I'm blown away by the sounds coming from these little 1 foot cubes. How do you get that much quality sound out of a little 8" driver with 125 watts? I thought they seemed expensive for for what they are, that is until I hooked them up! I'm very impressed so far.
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    interesting as I am in the market for a small sub. How big is your room?
    How u like the Kef's? :*
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2016
    I like the KEFs a lot! I am using a Schiit Ragnarok amp with it. A reviewer in Stereophile claimed the combo of the KEFs with the Rag was the best sound he has heard in the 21st century.

The romm is approximately 18 x 16' with vaulted ceiling. At first I hooked up just one T5 and it provided plenty of bass with no problem. Then I added the second one and that is where the sound magic really took over. Stereo subs are the way to go, at least in this application.

I noticed audioadvisor has the T5 for $599 each now that the T5i has been released for $749 each, the original price of the T5.

• [Deleted User]
    "A reviewer in Stereophile claimed the combo of the KEFs with the Rag was the best sound he has heard in the 21st century." :o

thanks for the info! I'll check out AA :)
  • madmax
    Oops, that was musicdirect for $599. http://www.musicdirect.com/p-13261-rel-t-5-subwoofer.aspx

• madmax
    These from Goldenear (Sandy Gross company, ex Polk guru) looked interesting also. http://www.goldenear.com/products/forcefield-subwoofers

• [Deleted User]
    Thanks! Choices!! :p
  • madmax
    Using the passive radiator like the Golden Ear is something REL does on a lot of their line. Over the years though, when I ask about audiophile music subs, REL is always the first mention from other audiophiles.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I was torn for the longest time between a couple rel subs or some small sealed svs subs. I would love to try a pair of T5's in my system one day. Very nice subs, but haven't heard any in person. They are Priced way to high up here in Canada.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    I don't get why UK products are expensive in CA
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    madmax wrote: »
    Using the passive radiator like the Golden Ear is something REL does on a lot of their line. Over the years though, when I ask about audiophile music subs, REL is always the first mention from other audiophiles.

Yes Sir, Rel has always made musical subs, which also makes them easier to integrate with your speakers than HT based subs. Dual subs for music is the way to go imho, good choice there.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • madmax
    tonyb wrote: »
    Dual subs for music is the way to go imho, good choice there.

I tried the single sub first. It was OK but adding the second one is where the sound really came together. With the single I was able to tell there was a sub hooked up but the bass became fully integrated with the mains when I added the second one. More difference than I would have thought by adding the second one.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    The LS50 and T5's should be a great combo once you get them dialed in.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

I'm interested in the GoldenEar as well. Size is good for me and thinking they may be more musical than some just because of who they're from.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Got to audition a T5 this past weekend. Impressive little sub. Would have like to hear the T9 with the passive radiator but ran out of time.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    You using speakon inputs?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    Love the REL subs, using a Strata III with my Mirage M3si speakers = seamless sound