Woodworking question

Just an amateur woodworker with a few basic tools, and I'm planning to build a simple bench, similar to this:
101810.jpg
The legs and frame will be assembled with dowels and glued, but I'm undecided as to how I should attach the boards on the top. Suggestions?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Screws and wood plugs. If you do not want them seen
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    What are you using for the top? Indoor or outdoor? Trex, azek, wood, PT...?

Azek has a great decking screw with plugs that work/look nice.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Blind dowels and wood glue. If the design doesn't call for a center support board running front to back, you might want to consider adding one.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    F1nut wrote: »
    Blind dowels and wood glue. If the design doesn't call for a center support board running front to back, you might want to consider adding one.
    That's what I'll do - thanks! Yes, I definitely planned for a center support.
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Check out the Kreg pocket hole jig. I have used it a lot and it works great.
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    deucekazoo wrote: »

Ditto
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    deucekazoo wrote: »

This.

It will save you A LOT of time and effort when used effectively.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Beautiful.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Pretty!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Looks very good! You going natural or are you going to kill it with stain?
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    that looks fantastic! better than the model photo you posted.

Would you mind posting some details on your build? I mess around with building stuff periodically, but nothing this nice yet. Curious as to lumber type/dimensions/source, etc., and whether purchased in this finish, or whether you had to modify/clean it up. Very nice work.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Ed, that looks great!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the compliments.

As far as finish goes, we're leaning toward natural with a clear coat. Here's the deal. I made this for my son and his (now) wife for their wedding. The bench served as a guest book of sorts, and all the guests wrote messages and signed the top surface. Everybody was pleased with the result. I found some Indian ink pens to use for this, which I think shouldn't fade, but stain is out of the question for the seat. We've tossed around the idea of staining the legs and frame for a two-tone look, but I'm not sure. I'll probably stain a few scraps to see what it looks like.

msg - I used 1x8 poplar boards and ripped them to produce 2-1/2" boards. It's a 4-foot bench and is about 17" high and 16" deep.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    What a wonderful idea and congrats to your son and his new wife
    Nice job
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    As far as finish goes, we're leaning toward natural with a clear coat.

Keep in mind there will likely be a nice upholstered cushion on that bench in the not too distant future.

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    I would look into this stuff for a clear finish:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OBT0XM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've used it a couple of times and it has worked really well.
  • F1nut
    No offense, but wax is an extremely poor finish. Actually, it's really not a finish, it's a polish.

President of Club Polk

• Upstatemax
    F1nut wrote: »
    No offense, but wax is an extremely poor finish. Actually, it's really not a finish, it's a polish.

I've used it a few times, with very good results. I like the idea that it's easy to apply, very easily repaired and you have a lot of control over the final look.

If he built a kitchen table, wax would never cross my mind. But for a piece like this, I don't see any reason it should be overlooked.