Big Decisions Tomorrow - DC to LA Move?

Options
MrBuhl
MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
edited June 2016 in The Clubhouse
Well I've been struggling all weekend with a big decision, everyone we know, and all our family is on the East Coast, but my dream job opened up in Los Angeles with my company, and I have been asked if I'd be interested in it. It's probably the ticket to a whole new level of bigger roles for me for the next decade if I can pull if off.

I have never lived off the East Coast, (Florida, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Virginia), and my wife is from here. Two early teen girls to consider as well.

I think I'm going to take it, but anyone have any amazing pro's that I might haven't of thought of for moving to LA (at least for a year or two, probably not stuck there forever unless we love it). ...Or cons for that matter - I know housing is the biggest expense, we'd probably end up renting there.

I'd love to hear some thoughts if any of you fine folks have lived out there?
VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
SACD Marantz DV8300
Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
Yamaha YP-D6
Soundcraftsmen PCR800
Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
Pho-700 Phono Pre
Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Go west young man, or old. Whatever your case may be.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,840
    Options
    Best to ask that question to your family and friends. Me, I want nothing to do with LA.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Can not offer any advise Ed but I'm glad you got the offer and hope whichever way you choose to go, that it works out great for you and the family!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    @F1nut definitely agree and I have, though we're all East Coasters, so was hoping that some here had or do live out there that could shed some local light.

@motorhead43026 I'll take that as an endorsement!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Talk to @nooshinjohn he made the big move

....Dibs on the Dodd ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    ...Or cons for that matter

Its California. They take stupid laws and regulations to a whole new level.... and everything is remarkable overpriced....
    F1nut wrote: »
    Me, I want nothing to do with LA.

Agreed........., but make that the entire state of California....

However it sounds like its what you want, so if its what you want, go for it...

Personally I just despise all things California.....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Agree with the California comments. But, you have to consider what this position opens up for you. If you are young, then working for a few years for a job that will open up a better job/pay-grade/experience/etc. may be worth it to live temporarily in a place you make not like.

And as been said, make sure you make this a family decision.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Cost of living in California is ridiculous, is it not?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    ^^ when you run the calculators, to my surprise pretty much everything except gas and housing were actually lower in LA ^^ So I know that's the stereotype, but I'm not sure it's true necessarily. DC is a very expensive area to live as well.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    ^^ when you run the calculators, to my surprise pretty much everything except gas and housing were actually lower in LA ^^ So I know that's the stereotype, but I'm not sure it's true necessarily. DC is a very expensive area to live as well.

But isn't gas and housing 2 of the highest expenditures
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    Options
    Ummm, SoCal. Sunshine, beaches, great food, culture and entertainment is endless. If it was San Diego I would think you are crazy for thinking about it this long...except for the housing part, the cost is pretty nuts.

For me the main consideration would be my wife and kids. But part of that consideration (for me anyway) is my ability to help pay for their college education, and to have a healthy retirement so I am not a burden on them. If this job will help you accomplish those long term goals, then I think it should be strongly considered. YMMV...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    LA was nice to visit,,,, ask your family their thoughts and feelings. Good luck
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    I've been all over the country and wouldn't live anywhere else (except San Diego).

My company moves folks here all the time. Most arrive kicking and screaming and cry when they have to leave.
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Didn't they just have a earthquake between San Diego and LA the other day? I lived in San Diego and would go back if my job took me there. I will probably move back when I retire. I'm wondering what part of LA your looking at the Suburbs are nice the traffic is terrible if you have to commute.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,120
    Options
    The best words I can think of for the OP come from Nancy Reagan, and are true for many things besides drugs... "Just say NO!"
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Thanks for that... o:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Sjould you live in DC or LA sounds like the start of a bad joke in Texas.

You're in a lose/lose situation. Dream job versus the end of an average teenagers life. Don't envy you one bit.

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,882
    Options
    Doesn't pfb live in the L.A area? That alone would dissuade me.
    Just make sure you're not pulling a "coach" from Friday night lights. If you're not then by all means do it if the family support you. With that said we moved often when I was young and it affected me big time as I got older. Not saying you have moved often. But I never really got to make good friends.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    ^^I went to 5 different high schools^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I have lived in West Los Angeles for the last 61 years.
    Question 1) How much money will you get for your old house to use as a down payment on a house here?
    Question 2) How much will you be making a month. It would be wise to stay under 40% of your salary to go to loan payment per month. Don't forget the high cost of power, water, gardener, and of course, property taxes. Property taxes will be 1 to 1.5 percent of the value of your new house per year.

As an example a decent, not amazing house in a local bedroom community named Westchester has seen a lot of houses sell recently. For 1.2 to 2.5 Million. These are on postage stamp sized lots with 1700 to 2600 sq ft houses on them. If you want to live near the beach in Santa Monica expect 3 to 5 million. Brentwood that same 5 million will get you tear down with a nice sized buildable lot.

I own two houses next door to each other. The lot size is 50 by 150 per lot. I am asking 7 million for the two lots, combined. If I develop them myself I can go up three stories and build 27 Condos. Condos are selling for 1.2 million each around here. More in highly desirable near beach areas.
    If I ever move away I will never be able to move back again. Unless I build those Condos
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,907
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Best to ask that question to your family and friends. Me, I want nothing to do with LA.

I'll second that. Been there many times and nothing to me is desirable. Plus with teen girls....I think your putting them behind the 8 ball by moving them there. If you didn't have kids, maybe worth the experience but with kids....lots of headaches await you.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    First off, congrats on the offer, it seems your company recognizes your work talents and feels very comfortable in your abilities.

My cousin lives there as have a few other family members that have since moved back to the mid west.

The biggest complaint I hear is the heat, the traffic, the demographics and of course the cost of living.

Whenever we visit it seems very very busy out there. Lots of neat things to see and do but..busy and expensive.

Would it be possible for your company to let you and the wife go out there for a while to look things over?

Best wishes either way you go..
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,543
    Options

Thanks for that... o:)

I still consider you and Nooshin Hoosiers, so your not included in that :smile:... and the other forum members over there are too bad :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Didn't they just have a earthquake between San Diego and LA the other day? I lived in San Diego and would go back if my job took me there. I will probably move back when I retire. I'm wondering what part of LA your looking at the Suburbs are nice the traffic is terrible if you have to commute.

At this point, I've been directed to the West side of LA, that's where the job is, so Santa Monica, Pacific Pallisades, Brentwood area. I won't know till I get the lay of the land though. Also, with the lower rainfall, I plan to bike commute quite a bit which will save me some traffic woes.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• motorhead43026
    Options
    Wow, that is a beautiful area. One of the more desirable areas to live.

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    You have to ask yourself, where do you want to be when the Big One hits and @steveinaz suddenly finds himself with beachfront property? Just sayin.....
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »

At this point, I've been directed to the West side of LA, that's where the job is, so Santa Monica, Pacific Pallisades, Brentwood area. I won't know till I get the lay of the land though. Also, with the lower rainfall, I plan to bike commute quite a bit which will save me some traffic woes.

You can't even buy a condo there for less than 1.2 million. My wife and I go to Palisades all the time, as it is less than a half hour from our home in Woodland Hills. I would look at Calabasas, Woodland Hills, Agoura Hills and Westlake Village. You can take the canyons through to the area where you will be working and cut you housing costs in half or better.
    Post edited by nooshinjohn on

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,377
    Options
    Two bedroom condos in Santa Monica seem to start around $3500 per month in rent, and really basic and old three bedroom single family homes start around $6500 per month. Rent can of course be reduced by living further out and commuting long distances. Is the company paying relocation expenses and accounting for the cost of living at that office location?

There are other long term expenses to consider like air fare to visit family back on the East Coast a certain number of times each year for all involved. Trips to visit colleges nearing graduation dates. The cost of setting up a new home in a completely different and expensive location should not be underestimated.

I'd consider moving to San Diego if the financial side and local school quality worked out, but the LA basin would be a really tough sell for me. The offer would have to be guaranteed to be lucrative for me to want to uproot kids and move there.

The worst thing you can do for your career is to lead your employer to think you really are interested then back out of the move after thinking about it for too long.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,487
    Options
    When I first read this last night, I thought, what a fantastic opportunity! I've never lived in CA, but always wanted to go check it out. So much of what I enjoy lifestyle and activity wise seems more readily accessible on the west coast as opposed to where I live in VA on the east, and the west coast and pacific northwest have always held some measure of inexplicable allure for me.

Now, after reading a lot of the feedback and info from those with experience... holy woses, no, I would go crazy with long commutes and cost of living, unless it could be truly commensurate with existing lifestyle.

Mista B - either way, I hope you reach a comfortable decision, though it'll be kind of a bummer to lose you to the west coast.
    The best words I can think of for the OP come from Nancy Reagan, and are true for many things besides drugs... "Just say NO!"
    John, do you not like it there?
    I disabled signatures.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Some great advice and input here, so not much I can add. Reading all the posts, I agree that if it were me, my children would be the deciding factor. Depending on age, uprooting them can have some not-so-great effects on them. I was fortunate to grow up in the same town without ever moving, and the friends I had growing up are the friends I've kept to this day.

Sounds like there are a lot of pros and cons... I don't think there's any harm in taking your time to make a rational decision. This isn't something you want to rush and have any regrets afterwards.

Keep the wife and kids equally involved in the decision!