Big Decisions Tomorrow - DC to LA Move?

Options
2»

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    Thoes are some pretty expensive areas you mentioned on the west side of LA. You sure the wallet can handle that ?

Of course, the east side of L.A. is affordable.....and a death sentence. Those other more affordable area's John mentioned are nice too, but still pretty darn expensive. Hope this new position comes with a 500k bonus or up in salary. You also have to consider the moving package the company is offering so you might want to dig into the details a bit.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Having grown up in the flat boring lands of Kansas you could not get me to move to Kansas City or Oklahoma city or Dallas, let alone LA :s

Best Luck to your choice Ed! I'd open a nice Hotel out in the middle of no-mans land but then who would show up?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    I was born in SoCal and love it!!! I moved to NJ for 2 years and hated it!
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Never been to Cali and would like to go before I die.
    I have heard all of the usual about living expenses out there and cannot confirm any of it of course. However I CAN confirm how expensive it is to live in DC as I've been here for 20 years now.Same goes for Connecticut which is where I am originally from.
    I also hear that people are a lot more laid back out there compared to DC and ESPECIALLY Connecticut (*where speaking to a stranger might get you cussed out-NO this is NOT a joke*)
    I got tired of all of that foolishness and moved south to get away from it. My mother raised me better than that. However it has ramped up in the ensuing years here.

Maybe your offspring could benefit from living in a different environment........
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited June 2016
    Options
    SoCal is not just a place to live but a lifestyle, and a nice one at that.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Thanks guys, you're all really confirming a lot of what we're thinking already.

It definitely has to make sense for the family and everybody has to be ready, at the same time it has to make financial sense too. We hotel folks are a kind of wandering vagabond, so it's actually the Fourth time the wife and have moved together and the second with the kids... its just tougher this time due to the age, and honestly our age!

And the great unknown of what I think @motorhead43026 mentions, we don't know if we fit that lifestyle I guess. Talked to a few more work folks today and I really think the job will be right... now for the rest!

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I was born in DC, and grew up in the MD suburbs (College Park, Rockville). I moved to CA (Bay area) in 76, and am still here. I did buy a retirement house on MD's Eastern Shore, but after just remodeling CA house I am not sure I want to go through the hassle of moving. I feel the cost of living here (Bay area) is close to the DC area.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,549
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I'd open a nice Hotel out in the middle of no-mans land but then who would show up?
    The Eagles.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    ^^ That there made me LOL ^^
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• tonyb
    Options
    You can keep southern Cali, I'll take from Big Sur on up any day though. I would love to live in Carmel but heck....even winning the lotto would make it a stretch.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    You couldn't pay me to live in L.A. wait they do pay me to live here that's the only reason. I can't wait to get out of here.
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,140
    Options
    Left Socal in 1981 and never looked back
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,156
    Options
    @MrBuhl... I tried to call you but the number you called me from is not finding you.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    voltz wrote: »
    I'd open a nice Hotel out in the middle of no-mans land but then who would show up?
    The Eagles.

That would be cool if Don Henley & Joe Walsh showed up plus Joe is from Kansas.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • tonyb
    Options
    So what was the decision....stay or go ? Be a beach bum or a surfer dude ? Or stay put and put up with East coast junk.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • MrBuhl
    edited June 2016
    Options
    LOL - well... I put my name in the hat, it appears there may be another one or two interested so it's not for sure - but in the end my wife and I felt that it was just too much opportunity to pass by this time, and I confirmed that it doesn't have to be permanent, "sometimes they come back". Soo... I've already been a wannabe, now maybe I willbe...

t3vmzv5qjvzc.jpg

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Options
    @MrBuhl... I tried to call you but the number you called me from is not finding you.

Probably the switchboard John - sorry I've had a couple crazy crazy days so I couldn't call yesterday!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Ha.....shark bait pal. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-