mini-monitors / finally scored!

Options
After years of searching and waiting patiently for the right opportunity, I scored a pair of MM off e-bay last night. I'm curious to know if anyone is familiar with the mids on this pair. They don't look stock nor do they look like an oem replacement. At this point I don't care!~ I'll figure out how to handle.cczgy964cdsn.jpg

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Those mids are not original. Polk used 4.5" CTS drivers, with foam surrounds. Essentially the same driver used in the Series I & II 901s.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/272011745877?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

link to a sale on ebay with the correct or at least closer than what you have mid.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've got a pair and some spare cabinets and rough passives as well as crossovers in my closet. I was watching the same item because I have a saved search in ebay for the mini monitors. They are rare and hard to find. Based on what you paid, you obviously wanted a pair badly :). I'm still looking for a decent set of grills. Hope you enjoy them.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• Frzninvt
    Frzninvt Posts: 15
    Options
    A nice pair went on eBay about a month and half ago. I posted a WTB ad with photos in the classified section with what looks like the original midbass drivers.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,135
    Options
    The original CTS drivers aren't terribly hard to find -- they're also very nice midrange/extended range drivers in their own right (and, of course, IMNSHO).
  • elitt
    elitt Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks all. This information is truly appreciated. I shocked myself at the price point but I was waiting for a while, and cut my take-out budget for the month!
  • Polkaguy58
    Polkaguy58 Posts: 352
    Options
    I always wanted a pair of those.
    The woofer look like they're quality, polyprop's with butl rubber surrounds.
    How do they sound ?
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Elitt- If you don't mind me asking= How much did you pay and hows their physical condition? And does anyone know what their original MSRP was?
  • elitt
    Options
    I paid about 140 shipping included. The cabinets are in great shape. Another pair just went for about $18 but had a couple holes in each. Oh well...sippin' n' clickin' last night. What can you do? Adjust the household budget and move on.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    They're cool to have just because their rarity. Same with the Peerless Monitor 4's, they don't pop up too often either.

Are you going to replace the woofers?

Enjoy those speakers, I bet they sound better than you'd think just by looking at them.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • elitt
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    They're cool to have just because their rarity. Same with the Peerless Monitor 4's, they don't pop up too often either.

Are you going to replace the woofers?

Enjoy those speakers, I bet they sound better than you'd think just by looking at them.

Thanks man. I'm going to listen to them and figure it out. If someone knew what they were doing with those mids then I'll leave them as they are.

I'll report back here. The plan is to use them as monitors for my desktop at work unless the magnets are too strong.

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    Man those mini monitors are beautiful! What are the dimensions?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Nightfall
    Options
    elitt wrote: »
    The plan is to use them as monitors for my desktop at work unless the magnets are too strong.

You have a CRT monitor?

• notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Options
    Man those mini monitors are beautiful! What are the dimensions?

In case your still curious as to their dimensions- They are: 35.3 [cm] high x 6 "[inches]wide x 12.2 cm deep
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    That is awesome, what cool little speakers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • elitt
    Options
    3jm7701qepa8.jpeg

They arrived and all is well. One of the best eBay packaging jobs I've ever seen. Someone loved these things in their previous life. 1980 and barely any nicks. I'm sure they'd benefit from a recap but for now I still have the sweetest sounding desktop in the office!
  • elitt
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    The plan is to use them as monitors for my desktop at work unless the magnets are too strong.

You have a CRT monitor?

Ha! I do not, but ignorantly I still though there might be interference.

• elitt
    Options
    Update for the holiday weekend. I managed to get the oddball 4 ohm drivers replaced with original mids, and what a difference it made. I lost a little bass but more than made up for it with clarity and imaging etc. etc.

There is decent bass with a proper source recording. My Cornell Dead Betty Board is soaring at the moment.

I know people take a lot of heat for investing in the mini monitors, but it sure beats the alternative: listening to the company approved plastic box desktop set-up.

I'm digging this sound powered by a Sonos connect amp. I'm really curious to hear these suckers through a more musical source. Loving it here this morning. My office mates, not so much!

oltwfwwl6hd7.jpg
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    I picked up a set of those last year. The cabs. are in decent shape but the mids need new surrounds.The PR's however also use a cloth like material and although there are no holes when held up to the light you can see through them like a pair of pantyhose.
    I also picked up a pair of Acoustic Research AR-4X that uses the same material and exhibits the same condition.My question- is this normal or are they deteriorating to the point where they are likely to come apart when used?
  • elitt
    Options
    Mine fail a true push test, but I'm still surprised at the range these little guys put out. Honestly, with the right source, they're boomin'. I wish I had an answer to your question, but it befuddles me.
  • soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    @befuddle there is a glue type sealer that is used to recondition cloth surrounds. You can use it on foam surrounds too. I don't remember a brand name but places like simplyspeakers dot com sells their version for about 6 bucks.

there's probably better/cheaper stuff. You'll have to shop around.
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • befuddle
    Options
    Thanks much Soulsurfer I'll look into that
  • elitt
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Soulsurfer - Thank you. Have you seen a product that word work to 'restack' or bind together the layers of cardboard that are on top of the metal frame? Do you think the glue sealer you speak of would work for that?

I plan on showing these MM some cosmetic and internal love as I will probably be staring at them daily for a while.

• Nightfall
    Options
    I plan on showing these MM some cosmetic and internal love as I will probably be staring at them daily for a while.

Glad they're in your hands. They're a rare piece of Polk history.

• soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    @elitt I'm not familiar with polk speakers much. I'm a newbie. LOL I just have some general experience with random speakers.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about to be honest. What metal frame and what cardboard do you speak of?

:)
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • elitt
    Options
    The outer rim of the drivers and passives appears to be made of layers of paper-ish cardboard. I'm sure that's the right technical term :) They are starting to fray a bit. Not enough to mess with, but I want to know how to handle the fix or repair if they ever start unraveling.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    The outer rim of the drivers and passives appears to be made of layers of paper-ish cardboard. I'm sure that's the right technical term :) They are starting to fray a bit. Not enough to mess with, but I want to know how to handle the fix or repair if they ever start unraveling.
    It's called a gasket
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I may be wrong but what I think elitt is describing is the material glued onto the outside upper facing outer rim of the driver baskets/screw head side [which are also called gaskets although they don't serve a typical gasket function in this regard] if replacements are unavailable,perhaps[and its just a thought] they might be lightly sanded with a 400 or finer to remove the fray and a small amount of black silicone or similar could be used to top them
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • westmassguy
    Options
    befuddle wrote: »
    I may be wrong but what I think elitt is describing is the material glued onto the outside upper facing outer rim of the driver baskets/screw head side [which are also called gaskets although they don't serve a typical gasket function]
    They do serve a function if the driver is rear mounted.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • elitt
    Options
    As usual, westmassguy settles it.