SDA 2s for $125

Options
13»

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    Definitely need to replace the tweeters and most likely will modify the cross overs for the TL mod.

I don't think you're quite following what is being said here. Let me see if I can clarify it a bit:

Your SDA-2Bs have SL-2000 tweeters in them currently. If you want to upgrade these tweeters, the drop-in replacements from Polk are the RD0194-1 tweeters. However, if you want to do the TL Mod/Upgrade, you will need the RD0198-1 tweeters from Polk. Now, you need to understand that the RD0198-1 tweeter is NOT a drop-in replacement for the SL-2000 or the RD0194-1. Yes, it's the same size and fits the same mounting hole, but it needs to be run with a different crossover (ie. the TL-Mod crossover)

Therefore, you need to decide if you're going for the whole enchilada (198's and TL-Mod components) or not before you order any parts. Or........you could also go ahead and replace the 2000's with 194's and at a later date, update the crossovers (standard, non-TL Mod.) with upgraded (same value) caps/resistors/inductors(?), etc., just NOT the TL-Mod components.

Hope I didn't muddy things up for you, codycatalist! Good luck, nice grab on the SDAs!

I already completely understand the differences in tweeters and mods to the cross overs. I appreciate you attempting to clarify but it's already crystal clear.

Don't let my.low comment count fool you, I've been reading for many upon many hours.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    So, how are they sounding?
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • codycatalist
    Options
    @vmaxer Compared to my Monitor 5s they sound AMAZING! Once I moved them around a bit I got the sweet spot and the sound stage opened up a great amount. I hear no issues with the drivers or tweeters so all should be good. Going to glue the driver magnets today most likely.

Only issue is that I can hear that the SDAs want more power than my 100 watts. They get plenty loud but you can just hear that it wants a little more push to really bring out the dynamics.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Man I continue to be impressed more and more with these speakers. I want to pull the drivers to make sure they are all correct and check on the dacron but I honestly believe they haven't been opened since they left the factory.

The cabinet has great pressure, the mid drivers recede after 4 seconds of pushing and holding the PR. I was looking at the speakers yesterday and I only found 1 small indentation on the back lower corner of the cabinet (not noticeable unless you knew it was there and felt for it). I got VERY LUCKY on this set of speakers, as much as I don't want to pull the drivers my curiosity is killing me (should I change my name to codyCATalist).

Going to get home and listen to some Bob James then pull the drivers and see what I am working with.

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Want to really hear them sing? Add some power to the mix. 100W is really not enough and you are likely to melt a tweeter going into distortion. JMO!
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Want to really hear them sing? Add some power to the mix. 100W is really not enough and you are likely to melt a tweeter going into distortion. JMO!

Yeah I make sure to not go above 11 o clock on my amp. Starting to save for a better source that's for sure!

• codycatalist
    Options
    @DSkip An SDAC player? I'm hoping you meant an amp but YES I am after a nice Marantz. I have a PM325 (40wpc) and LOVED how it sounded with my monitor 5s. In my experience the sound meshes with Polk very well.

• codycatalist
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My apologies! Looking back it was a vague statement. Saving up for a better amp to power these and have a better overall sound. I like how you think though, however if I dropped $1000 on an SDAC at this point in my life well... I think id have to take a long gander in the mirror and think about my priorities.

One day I that will be in my possession but my budget is soooo tiny right now. I'm thankful to have the Polk collection that I do now, I've only spent maybe $200 on them all (SDA 2b, RTA11TL, Monitor 5s, TSI200, RT10). I might be trying to keep my self from falling into the rabbit hole but it catches up to everyone.

• codycatalist
    Options
    Looks like original drivers all from the same year. So glad to have the correct drivers in these.