Recapped my SRS 2. Help me troubleshoot loss of SDA effect in right channel.

Options
I finally decided to try my hand at recapping my SRS 2. I’ve done a few simpler recap jobs in the past and I’m ok with a soldering iron.

So last night I cracked open a beer and started. 3 hours and 4 beers later, I finished. Plugged everything in, eager to enjoy my work, and I got sound. That’s good. The bad: no SDA effect from the right speaker. Full SDA from the left. Whoops. Maybe I should've done the job sober.

From what I know, it seems like no SDA effect from the right speaker means that the left speaker isn’t sending the out of phase signal from the dimensional drivers. Is that correct? That would at least allow me to focus on one speaker over the other. But as far as I can tell, I’m getting sound from all the drivers. Oh, and I already checked that each of the drivers is hooked up in phase. And I tried swapping leads at the speaker terminals to see if something got wired out of phase there. Still no SDA from the right.

Any help would be appreciated. And kids, solder and beer don’t mix. Just say no.

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Assuming that your recap work is correct,,have you checked to make sure that you have the wiring from the drivers connected correctly at the crossover?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    You're getting sound out of ALL drivers? Make sure you aren't getting sympathetic vibes from each other, especially at higher volumes...you may have to take the dimensional driver(s) out and listen to them out of the box to be sure.

But I would first disconnect the interconnect cable and carefully listen for changes.

Short of walking thru' you work again step-by-step, that's all I have. :/
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,703
    Options
    Double check the quick connections at X-overs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 365
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Could you have the stereo and SDA connection reversed ?
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Good suggestions. I think first step when I get home is to pull the dimensional drivers out of the cab and listen to make sure they are indeed running. It's tough to tell and as sousurfer said, they could be getting sympathetic vibes.

I've already double checked the connections. Maybe I'll take a picture of the other crossover and compare them just to make sure all the wires are heading to the same place.

I'm sure it's something little that I goofed up while under the influence.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,703
    Options
    No fret, I usually have a more steady soldering hand as beers vanish.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm sure it's something simple. Which generation are yours ?
  • Rex81
    Options
    xschop wrote: »
    No fret, I usually have a more steady soldering hand as beers vanish.

I remember starting the job, then I remember standing up, looking at the clock and thinking to myself "Wow, those 3 hours just flew by! That wasn't so bad." Funny, I don't remember much in between.
    TForan wrote: »
    I'm sure it's something simple. Which generation are yours ?

1986 blade/blade.
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The quick connectors on the wires from the blade/blade socket to SDA board were a bit finicky(loose) on my CRSs. Possible one slipped off during reassembly?
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Options
    Start with the simple things. Do a battery test and see if all the drivers are in phase. If the SRS 2 is like the 2Bs the drivers should all move the same direction when 1.5 volts is applied to the terminals on the back. I always disconnect the IC when I do the test.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    The 86' SRS-2s are 3rd generation. The dimensional woofers will still produce bass frequencies below 150 Hz via the sub-bass drive circuit. Each conductor in the Interconnect Cable carries the full signal from the opposite speaker. There is a break or something is not connected correctly. The two wires from the upper half of the crossover must be connected in phase, to the correct spades on the lower half. The two wires from the interconnect go to the upper half, and one must be reversed.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rex81
    Options
    Thanks westmassguy, this helps. Good to know that dimensional woofers will still produce bass frequencies. I'll be sure to check connections tonight and report back.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As David suggested, I'd check to make sure the two wires from the interconnect are reversed from each other.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    And this kiddies is why we don't work on SDA's with no before pictures and the beer is for when you get done and finished AFTER you make sure all is buttoned up good and well.

face meet palm:)
  • Rex81
    Options
    Haha, I actually did take before pictures. But a project without beer? I don't think I can be taught to work like that.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Rex81 wrote: »
    Haha, I actually did take before pictures. But a project without beer? I don't think I can be taught to work like that.

your answer should be in the pictures if you took pictures of the wiring off XO to the drivers.
  • Rex81
    Options
    Solved it.

I got home, compared the before pictures with the after, compared the working crossover to the dysfunctional, everything looked good. Then I used a little trick all the master electricians use: I put on some music and started wiggling all the wires around. :p

I put the massive sub-bass caps on a separate board mounted on the base of the speaker with jumpers running to them. When I wiggled that connection I got some scratching noise, then the dimensional woofers got louder. Pulled my hand away and they got softer. The joint looked good, but it obviously wasn't. Refilled it, and I'm back in business.

Thanks for all the suggestions. They helped me narrow my search. However, sometimes it's just shoddy craftsmanship.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to step away

happy listening
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

happy listening

That AND leave the beer until AFTER you're done like @pitdogg2 said! :#:s
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, that was easy ! How do they sound ?
  • Rex81
    Options
    TForan wrote: »
    Well, that was easy ! How do they sound ?

They sound great! I'm admittedly a bit of a recapping skeptic. I've recapped speakers 15 years older than these and didn't hear much improvement, so I've been reluctant to spend the time and money on doing these. But I gotta say, even without burn-in, the change is fairly dramatic. I'm not going to say "night and day" (I hate when audiophiles overstate differences), but it's definitely a solid upgrade in overall clarity.

I became quite fond of the relaxed highs of the old crossovers and was afraid they might be too bright after the recap. They're definitely brighter, but not harsh. I'm happy. And looking forward to hearing them progress with burn-in.

After about 100 hours I plan to do an exhaustive comparison between my KEF LS50. Obviously completely different speakers, but I bought the KEFs to get that last level of detail that I wasn't getting with the SRS 2. After the recap, I think it might be there, along with all the other benefits.

Didn't you just recap your SRS 2s? How do yours sound?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 365
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I had David (westmassguy) do the heavy lifting and have about 100 hours on them. They have a solid improvement , thats for sure. I also did the rings,magnet adhesive, dynamat, tweeters and sound absorption foam. The Yamaha seems fine with the sub 4 ohm load contrary from some opinions. They really do have a unique sound. Sorta opposite of in your face. Here they are with all the other old stuff except the Parasound P5.

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    Very nice!! clean and simple.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2016
    Options

happy listening

Is there an agree to disagree button?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • soulsurfer
    soulsurfer Posts: 22
    Options
    good to hear you gotter fixed and with minimal difficulty - who0p!
    Carver TX-11b - Carver 4000t - Carver TFM45 x2 - Polk SDA SRS 2 (094 tweets) - RSL CG 8^2 (Howard's XO upgrade + driver upgrade = 350w rms and amazeball toanz)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    j02vp3a9ake7.jpg

happy listening

I'm getting ready to go to work right now. If your grid shuts down in the mid-west....I apologise in advance.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaa
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)