The future of streaming?

machone
machone Posts: 1,471
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Just skimmed it, but that looks very cool! Hope it trickles down!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    As we used to say, when I was working in the computer industry, "It's only a matter of software!"
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Anybody hear anything more concerning MQA?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I dig it, sounds like the solution for limited bandwidth and higher rez audio. Only downside is now you have to buy dacs with that licensed technology or it will just play cd quality.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Very interesting....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Big article on it in The Absolute Sound this month.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    I just searched "tas mqa" on google and found tons of info on it. Couldn't find the article as written in the magazine though.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    How do you add MQA to a 2 channel system and what equipment will I need? Or is this just for computers?
  • steveinaz
    sgtmick63 wrote: »
    How do you add MQA to a 2 channel system and what equipment will I need? Or is this just for computers?

The way I understand it, it's basically a new codec (software driven).
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    I suppose good in theory, but sadly the reality is CD quality is more than good enough already.
    Sounds like a solution to a problem that does not really exist.

The levels they are talking about in the examples, are way below a normal home noise level to begin with.

I get why using a wider and deeper signal could be better, but only in theory.
    When people A/B them, many claim to be able to hear some big difference, but are never able to prove it.

There are numerous examples where audio engineers and audiophiles are not even able to tell MP3 From CD quality, let alone from Higher than necessary resolutions.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2016
    ^^^only assumption or quality of your system, or just your ears

Just 2 weeks ago after uncrating a $50k system as soon as we got it plugged in we starting pushing steams from the NAS and dac. I have layers of duplicate recordings as well we were demo'ing Streaming services. It was way apparent the increase in tonal dynamics as we moved up the food chain. We could tell immediately just as we were walking around cleaning up the boxes and such.

We were a little disappointed in the system originally, sounded alright but not really great as we were expecting...were started using a well known streaming service as it was the first thing that we could get going.

Then we pulled up the higher resolution stuff, bam!!! Like a slap in the face, there was the dynamics we were looking for, same Db level, same track, just higher res
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • K_M
    ^^^^^

All the proof I need. :s

Hey guess what! some guys I know down the road, unboxed a $100,000 set up and said they heard no difference??

When asked to prove anything, anecdotal evidence seems to be all most can deliver.
  • txcoastal1
    Come on down to LSAF and I will duplicate the scenario

Not here to debate with you as you are trolling to start up a debate as we have seen you do before

You expressed your opinion and I have mine. If you want to challenge me, come do it person, the door will be open

Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    K_M wrote: »
    I suppose good in theory, but sadly the reality is CD quality is more than good enough already.

The levels they are talking about in the examples, are way below a normal home noise level to begin with.

When people A/B them, many claim to be able to hear some big difference, but are never able to prove it.

There are numerous examples where audio engineers and audiophiles are not even able to tell MP3 From CD quality, let alone from Higher than necessary resolutions.

Everything matters and supposition doesn't cut it here. Either get out and do a fair in depth evaluation, or you should probably not comment. Your comments are baseless since you are just assuming things.

You'd be very surprised (if you ever took the time to learn how to evaluate audio) at how quickly the cumulative effect of many small (seemingly insignificant) things really do matter and make a difference on the whole.

If you are not quite there or really don't care to get there, that's fine, but then you should probably stop commenting as much of what you state is baseless.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    edited April 2016
    heiney9 wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

Everything matters and supposition doesn't cut it here. Either get out and do a fair in depth evaluation, or you should probably not comment. Your comments are baseless since you are just assuming things.

You'd be very surprised (if you ever took the time to learn how to evaluate audio) at how quickly the cumulative effect of many small (seemingly insignificant) things really do matter and make a difference on the whole.

If you are not quite there or really don't care to get there, that's fine, but then you should probably stop commenting as much of what you state is baseless.

H9

No everything does not matter.

I respect your opinions and thoughts.

If "EVERYTHING MATTERS", maybe..... proving things, beyond anecdotal stories, matters also?

• K_M
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Come on down to LSAF and I will duplicate the scenario

Not here to debate with you as you are trolling to start up a debate as we have seen you do before

You expressed your opinion and I have mine. If you want to challenge me, come do it person, the door will be open

The high res thing is debated or argued on every audio forum in the world.

Someone that disagrees is not a troll.

The challenge thing sounds cool, but we all know in reality it rarely happens.
    I expressed very little opinion.

I have never seen any evidence to support a listener being able to determine high res from regular, when unaware of the source.

That may say something.
    Carry on!

• txcoastal1
    edited April 2016
    Ok your point is made... You are always right, and everyone Else is always wrong, got it

So let me guess, you will always be trolling cable and resolution threads?

One more thing... I guess that your opinion is screw all new development in recording and distribution of music because MP3 is where everyone needs to be because that's all we need

• K_M
    edited April 2016
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Ok your point is made... You are always right, and everyone Else is always wrong, got it

So let me guess, you will always be trolling cable and resolution threads?

One more thing... I guess that your opinion is screw all new development in recording and distribution of music because MP3 is where everyone needs to be because that's all we need

I was not saying anyone is right or wrong.

There simply is not real evidence it matters.
    I think for Recording it does matter, for the end listener, not at all.

Big difference.
    As far as MP3, I do not consider it the best obviously, but again, when put to an actual test, the huge adjectives turn to "hard to say for sure" in many cases.

I think the differences are very minor in all of these cases. **my reality anyways**

There just seems to be very little backing any of it up, beyond stories. Nothing personal against you for real.

You realize we are now in the realm of questionable audio arguments.
    This is not new, not invented by me, nor does it mean someone is a troll.

Every audio forum I have read, they debate this stuff.
    That is why it is called "Questionable"

It means the common consensus, is there is no agreement.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    ^^^Are you male, female or an it? I just need to know what type bait I need to troll you^^^
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    My cat has three legs.
  • lightman1
    Anti-gravity bunny!!!!!j8ie5i6bx30d.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    Dude they are actually "flying bunnies"
    I've seen them on the internet

• steveinaz
    Don't ya just love "johnny-come-lately" know-it-alls? Like we haven't been doing this hi-fi thing for 30+ years.....
  • K_M
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Don't ya just love "johnny-come-lately" know-it-alls? Like we haven't been doing this hi-fi thing for 30+ years.....

Prove it!
  • lightman1
    Hey kids! I'm gonna fire up the grill. Place your orders now!
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Sausage.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Sausage.

You can't say sausage here... REPORTED!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    LMAO

Nobody needs to prove anything. Either I prove things do matter, or you prove they don't ?

Audio is an interactive sport, takes involvement, not conjecture or baseless opinions. As usual, those that don't play on a certain level of audio can't digest why there are levels above what they are used to. Dive in, get involved, go listen, have fun. Whats not to get ?

CD quality may be fine for you, then rock on, but others with a more refined system may want to indulge in better quality streaming services. Which is what this technology hopes to bring about. Win-win in my book.

Yes, this appears to be software driven, and to take advantage of it, you'd need a dac who has licensed the software, or whatever piece your streaming to. Who knows what streaming services will charge also. Bottom line is, more money all around.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable