Meatloaf

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Not the kind with gravy and mashed potatoes, the band. Saw them last night, not bad, but.....

He's getting old kids, his voice is shot....can't hold many notes anymore. To be fair though, the guy will be 69 this year. Still, it was enjoyable. The theatre had good sound, the band was excellent....and where he keeps finding these knockouts with a voice to play the female vocals is beyond me. This girl was possibly the best yet.

The old guy had no openers, came out and played for 1.5 hours non-stop. He loves what he does and loves his fans, that was obvious. Looked like he lost a few pounds too. He walked with a bit of a limp and you could tell he was in pain but he was hiding it very well.

Played a lot of hits too from various albums, most the biggies including of course Paradise by the Dashboard lights. He stopped a few times mid song on some songs as the crowd was all singing along, the band stopped too, and if it wasn't loud enough he'd flip everyone off and motion for them to get louder. There's just something so likeable about the guy. All in all, an enjoyable evening.

The wife bought tickets as a pre-birthday gift. Stopped in Lake Forest for dinner, had some Grouper, Super Tuscan wine and went to visit some houses on the lake I used to work at before heading up to Waukegan's Genessee theatre. Not bad for a Wednesday, gonna put the weekend under the gun though.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    Didn't Mloaf actually lose his voice years ago and have to retrain himself to sing in a completely different range? My father could still belt them out in his 80s. And don't forget Tony Bennett!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    edited April 2016
    cnh wrote: »
    Didn't Mloaf actually lose his voice years ago and have to retrain himself to sing in a completely different range? My father could still belt them out in his 80s. And don't forget Tony Bennett!

Your not going to tell me Tony Bennett has range I hope. lol

Yeah, he can't sink the hard passages or range a lot of his songs require. Probably why others don't even attempt to sing his songs, hard to do, and now hard for him even. He was never a great singer in my book, just like Springsteen isn't a great singer, but they both can tell a story and entertain in their music.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    tonyb wrote: »
    Not the kind with gravy and mashed potatoes, the band. Saw them last night, not bad, but.....

The wife bought tickets as a pre-birthday gift.

Well, happy birthday.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    oh ya! Happy Pre-Brithday!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Where was he playing at?????
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    @tonyb,

Happy pre-birthday and happy birthday when it arrives!

Sounds like you had a fun night.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    erniejade wrote: »
    Where was he playing at?????

Genessee Theatre in Waukegan. Actually a nice joint to see a band as there isn't a bad seat in the house. Styx is coming there this fall.

Another thing I dug about this joint is the bars where open before during and after the show. Plus for mixed drinks it was only 9 bucks, and top shelf booze. Johnny Walker, Absolute, Jim, I was shocked. Even had coffee and Baileys.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Nice!!!!! Genessee has been getting some good band lately. Aurora Riveredge park also has some good stuff coming up. Joe Perry, Alice Cooper, and Johnny Deep Hollywood Vampires might be an interesting one to see.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Sounds like a nice evening.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • tonyb
    Cool Ken, just don't expect vocals like the recorded music. The dude is 69, he can't hit it like he used to. Still a decent show, and you'll be hard pressed to keep your eyes, and ears off the girl in the show. The band is pretty good in their own right too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I wasn't ready for the band , I was ready to start talking about my awesome Turkey Breast Meatloaf I make, If anyone is interested in a killer Receipe Let me know.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    Turkey breast meatloaf ? Don't sound right....lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    3opm66.jpg
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Meatloaf,,,not a bad character actor.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    edited June 2016
    His name is Robert Paulsen.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I hope this show is great. I love abbotsford bc.
  • tonyb
    Have fun Ken. Remember....it's a fun concert, so if your looking for spot on sound and a masterful performance, this won't be it. Darn though, it sure is fun.

Kinda surprised he's still out there after fainting on stage awhile back. Have to recognize those signs on when to call it quits.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    He came to the State Theater in Portland back in the early 2000's & did the Story Teller about the songs he sung. Outstanding concert. Id go see them again
    Randy/Maine