What Music Server Are We All Using?

Well, what Music servers do we all have in our homes, what do you like and dislike about them?

I have:
Sonos Zone Player
LogicTech Transporter
Savant SMS-001A-00 (Autonomic product)
Autonomic MMS-2A
(Removed, BlueSound Node2)

B&W CM9Classé Sigma

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I plug this

572150203_1622184788_o.jpg

into here

oppobdp93rearleftsidea.jpg

;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    My favorite interface is hands down the Sonos. Sonos has created the best interface but the product is limited to 16bit 1440 flac files.

My favorite to look at is the Logitech Transporter. This thing has a goofy but super simple interface on the front that can be navigated with a remote. However you can also use the web browser or a custom control system like Crestron or Savant. The built in AKM DAC is a giant bonus too, unit sounds awesome. I really like all the digital inputs they put on that device.

Savant single zone server is cool in its own way because of how well it integrates into a Savant audio system.
    Sound quality is only as good as the 3.5mm output you're limited too. This is not a HiFi device but its not bad either.

Autonomic MMS-2A can be used from a tablet, phone, web browser, Crestron, Savant, and other control systems.
    This things doesn't have the highest quality DAC but it does offer three zones of audio. The first zone is a Coax Digital output, second zone is a RCA analog out, and the third is USB to any USB DAC you may have.
    One player will let you stream three different sources at the same time.
    (MMS-5A will allow for 6 zones)

What I am really excited for is the release of Savant 8. Savant and Sonos are owned by the same hedge fund company (KKR), the new Savant/Autonomic interface looks just like the Sonos but with all the flexibility of a MMS.

I had some time with a Node2, it was awesome. It felt like a mix of the MMS and Sonos.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I plug this

572150203_1622184788_o.jpg

into here

oppobdp93rearleftsidea.jpg

;)

That is awesome, the Oppo stuff really is some of the best stuff out there.

B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Nightfall
    It sure makes it simple to be able to play everything from a USB drive. If I had more than one setup in more than one room that all needed to stream the same media I'd be looking into a setup like you have but since It's just the one stereo/HT setup there really isn't any need for it.

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    An ASUS desktop running JRiver MC.USB output feeds an async USB-SPDIF convertor which then feeds one of four DAC's.Choice depending upon mood.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Lumin S1, PCM and DSD with integrated DAC. Doesn't get much better than this. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Lumin S1, PCM and DSD with integrated DAC. Doesn't get much better than this. :)
    A nice piece of audio engineering that.

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Strange this topic came up. Just yesterday I put all my digital audio video in a powered external hard drive. Connected it to the USB port of my router. Now its my media server. I can access everything from any device connected to my router.
    Raspberry pi, blu-ray player, phones, computers, tablets, receivers, you name it. I can access my media with any device. Need to setup a VPN so I can access it from anywhere. Amazingly raspberry pi (OSMC loaded) can decode almost any AV codec and feed it to my receiver. Of course its not an OPPO quality DAC, but having everything in a single place is so much easier and I can add a USB DAC to Raspberry pi if I want to.
    Not having to spend so much for NAS and having a similar usability is awesome. Plus the hard drive connected to USB goes to sleep when its not being accessed. So, its not spinning all the time.
    I am using a cheap Wireless router; Western Digital N750 and a toshiba canvio powered external hard drive. For how cheap that router and hard drive is, I am very very happy.

Oh, my printer is connected to the second USB port of the router. So, yah its my print server too :blush:
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • D'prived
    D'prived Posts: 191
    Stream from this...

cb235usawta2.jpg

To this Yamaha NP-S2000

2sihpo2t9332.jpg

Using a Samsung 7" tablet as the controller with the Yamaha app.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Lots of ways to skin that cat today. I have two Sonos players, one being a Cullen modded unit.

I wanted simple, and great software, and the Sonos fits that bill. So easy a caveman can do it, to steal a slogan.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    WD USB Ext Hard drive---->Oppo BDP-103---->Benchmark DAC2
    flac files.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Powered USB external hard drive>>>Dell M4400 laptop running JRiver>>>Marantz 8005 SACD via USB.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • 98Badger
    98Badger Posts: 317
    Home built pc running JRiver. Ethernet connection to Marantz 7702 and SoTM SMS-100. Love the significant boost in sq compared to Hdmi. Only complaint is that there is a few second delay using the Marantz when starting/changing tracks. No issue with the SoTM. IMO, if you are using computer audio without Ethernet, you are missing out on better sq.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    After looking at Nightfall's post I see that I can use a externally powered USB drive and connect directly to the Marantz SA8005. I have used this port with a thumb drive but never with a hard drive.
    Interesting.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Laptop to Parasound P5 via USB the other systems use wifi up pertable hard drives when the wifi act up
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Synology DiskStation 713+ with 2 x WD Red 4TB HDs, using Audio Station ---->
    Ethernet ---->
    PS Audio Bridge I ---->
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC or
    PS Audio PerfectWave DAC II or
    PS Audio PerfectWave DAC I.

AIFF files.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Nightfall
    edited April 2016
    machone wrote: »
    After looking at Nightfall's post I see that I can use a externally powered USB drive and connect directly to the Marantz SA8005. I have used this port with a thumb drive but never with a hard drive.
    Interesting.

I believe with Marantz you just have to make sure the drive is formatted in FAT32 and not NTFS. I could be wrong on that though, check the manual. FAT32 limits maximum single file size to 2 gig.

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Synology NAS streaming to a Pioneer N50 in the main rig & a Chromecast Audio in the bedroom setup.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited April 2016
    A pair of 2TB Hitachi enterprise drives (RAID1) in a Zyxel NSA325 for storage. To playback, its PC or Laptop running Foobar 2000.

Desktop uses Foobar to Sony UDA-1 DAC to playback.

Main 2-ch system uses an old Dell Latitude D830 with a Digigram VX Pocket sound card (PCMCIA) connected to the amp with balanced cables.

Pretty low cost, all around due to re-purposed hardware.

What I like is the nearly unlimited storage (out of 2TB, only 1/4 full), the ability to play back on any network connected device (I can play through Kodi or my Yamaha receiver as well).
    What I don't like, at least with the main 2-ch system (laptop) is the lack of remote control for the laptop when playing. Also, I have to set the laptop on top of my turntable dust cover. It works, but its not the best looking setup. Unfortunately, the balanced cables are not long enough to bring the laptop back to my listening area. I suppose I could get longer ones...
    Post edited by billbillw on
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Samsung 4tb USB3 >> Roon >> Bryston BDP-1 (ethernet to TP-Link WiFi Extender), Squeezebox Touches, FireTV's
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I network this...
    yiwkn1ljuqkl.jpg

To this...
    pu386p7ek7qk.jpg

But hope to someday have this... :)
    qmal31jup11n.jpg
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Squeezebox system setup throughout the house:

4 touch
    1 classic
    1duet
    LMS running on dell GTX 660 duo core 3.0 4gig ram ext HD 500 gig win7
    in garage.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171

Squeezebox system setup throughout the house:

4 touch
    1 classic
    1duet
    LMS running on dell GTX 660 duo core 3.0 4gig ram ext HD 500 gig win7
    in garage.

Same here, well not quite just one squeeze box, but I've tried a couple of ways Sonus, Jriver. But SB analog to my Yamaha 2040, using the Ipeng 9 app so simple sounds so good.

Cheers
  • ukcolin99
    ukcolin99 Posts: 286
    Mac Pro 3.1 containing all my cds, in iTunes ALAC, via usb2 into Cambridge 851D.
    Managed on iPad mini using Remote app. Albums, Playlists & single songs with instant album art, immediate play, in my hand.
    Height of laziness, really simple, works very well & sounds good to me.
  • RamZet
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It sure makes it simple to be able to play everything from a USB drive. If I had more than one setup in more than one room that all needed to stream the same media I'd be looking into a setup like you have but since It's just the one stereo/HT setup there really isn't any need for it.

I have the Savant audio server running my kitchen, bathroom, living room, deck, and back yard via Savant audio matrix switch ( fancy preamp).

The rest just go in and out of my 2ch rig for fun.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • RamZet
    Anyone using a AudioRequest ARQ or have they all died by now?

Another cool server I have used (and install) is an actual Savant system itself. The control system runs from a Mac Mini and with that it enables you to use it as a music server.
    You get 4 independent streams of iTunes from the HDMI cable and you can use a display port to HDMI cable to add more.
    So you connect this host to a Savant matrix switch and it enables the GUI to navigate the iTunes collection on the host.
    A cool part of that is iTunes match and iTunes itself , when ever you buy a song on any of your Apple devices it will download the song automatically to the server because the server is just running iTunes.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Sonos > Dac > Prepro. Easy peasy Japanesey + it sounds great too.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Home Theater:

Bryston BDP-1 via coax connection to Sony TA-E9000ES digital preamp/processor.
    BDP-1 is controlled with a Dell Venue Pro 7140 tablet.

No dislikes.
    Likes: Sound quality, can be controlled from any computer on my home LAN.

2 Channel System

Bryston BDP-2 via AES connection to a dCS Debussy DAC. Output of BDP-2 is synched to a dCS Puccini word clock.

BDP-2 is controlled with a Dell Venue Pro 7140 tablet.

Dislikes: Cannot insert a gap between songs (required by the Debussy to avoid muting the first couple of seconds of the next song if it has a different sampling rate).

Likes: Sound quality, can be controlled from any computer on my home LAN.

Office System

Bryston BDP-2 via USB and coax connection to a Bryston BDA-3 DAC.

Dislikes: The BDA-3 only does DSD via the USB connection, and the AES and coax outputs are better sounding than the USB. The BDP-2 outputs DSD via coax, AES, and USB.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    edited April 2016
    Mac Mini using Amarra, USB to W4S DAC 2, using Ipad to headlessly control MM.

No dislikes.

Like how simple and reliable it is.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited April 2016
    Signature Series Sonore Server with Deux Power Supply. Fanless and headless. SoTM USB card, SATA power filter, hard drive isolation box. One PS for 'putie, one for USB. Vortexbox 2.4 (Fedora release 23, 64 bit Linux). Updated with msata 1/2 card SSD boot drive and 6TB music storage drive.

sonore%20signature.jpg

sonore_sig_2.jpg

sonore_sig_3.jpg

Connects to Sonore USB to I2S card in diy BIII DAC. The module sports isolation from USB input and reclocking with low noise clocks. It was designed to be used with an ESS Sabre chip and has optional (via dipswitch) 8x/4x/2x oversampling using a semi minimum phase design for reduced pre-ringing. I run it in sync mode, with OSF on, that is using clock on USB board with ESS Sabre clock disabled and OS turned off. Supports 44.1 KHz-384 KHz PCM and 2.8 MHz (DSD64) to 22.5 MHz (DSD512) DSD.

Sonore-USB-1000a.png

I control it from 10" Samsung tablet, also has android apps available like BubbleUPnP. The server has LMS, Plex and MinimServer loaded on it.

The best digital I've had here so far. Dead quiet.

Drawbacks, no room for more drives once the 6TB is filled. But I can use Minim Server in Sonore Server to point to an external drive or NAS.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *