Anyone besides me having trouble with... italics?

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
edited November 2015 in Forum Testing Area
Preamble: I really like italics. I like 'em for emphasis (a little more subtle, more elegant, than bold).

I like 'em for what the Manual of Style says they're for -- foreign words, titles of songs movies, etc.

and the BB tags used to work here (whether typed into body text manually, or by clicking the "italics" button in the text editor)...

but a couple of weeks ago, they started to be ignored.

Ignored.

Ignored.

Kinda sucks for an italophile like me.

So, is it just me, my browser... or the forum?

Anyone else having... italics troubles?

Thanks for your attention :-P

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2015
    Test

Yep, not working.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    edited November 2015
    does this work?

apparently not...
    I noticed this the other night, now that I think about it. even though the tags show it, it doesn't display. yeah. weird.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    @KennethSwauger Can you relay this to the powers that be?

• mhardy6647
    He is the powers dat be, isn't he? ;- )

Of course, in a parallel universe (you know, the one where Spock has a beard & Ringo Starr is a really great drummer*), the "is" in the sentence above is in italics.

* And before you start in on me, in his own, un-flashy way, Mr. Starkey (senior) was a pretty good drummer; he could seriously keep time (which is not something all drummers can do... Keith Moon fairly springs to mind).
  • Nightfall
    I think the forum is now managed by an off site company? I know forum issues are forwarded to somewhere else, the "somewhere" in the sentence above should be in italics. ;)

• mhardy6647
    Don't make me start underlining... ;- )
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited November 2015
    @mhardy6647,

I started having a peculiar problem with italics, which I also like to use for titles and foreign words.

My problem has been that, when I use italics, everything following the word or phrase for which I intended the italicization is also italicized.

Bummer. :)

Let's try it here with the expression vis a vis.

Well, if this sentence is italicized, I'm still experiencing the problem.

Looks like there was no problem this time.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited November 2015
    I'll check into it (should be italics)
    I'm just a country moderator, Jim, were those words italicized? Or, just leaning forward?
  • I have trouble writing italics :(
  • mhardy6647
    I'll check into it (should be italics)
    I'm just a country moderator, Jim, were those words italicized? Or, just leaning forward?

I think they were Greco-Romanized, Bones.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited March 2016
    Interesting Interesting should have been italicized.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Luigi-Luigi-Super-Mario-Bros-video-game-smiley-emoticon-001093-facebook.gif italicized text /Luigi-Luigi-Super-Mario-Bros-video-game-smiley-emoticon-001093-facebook.gif
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    haha - I thought it was supposed to be Mario to Open and Luigi to close? but that doesn't work either.

Super-Mario-smiley-Super-Mario-Bros-super-mario-smiley-mario-emoticon-smiley-emoticon-001092-facebook.gifitalicized textLuigi-Luigi-Super-Mario-Bros-video-game-smiley-emoticon-001093-facebook.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    its a mystery -- maybe that Princess is involved?
  • mhardy6647
    oh. oohh. ohh!

I know, I know why we're having italics troubles!
    It's cause now there's only one of them left :- (

Ray-Magliozzi-Tom-Car-Talk-Studio-2000-626x417.jpg
  • msg
    the original Super Mario bros
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,775
    What's wrong with Italics. They're good hard working people and they make good pizza.
    Ain't that right, Tonyb?
    You buncha racists, we wouldn't have radio without that Macaroni guy. And he invented noodles with the cheese as well.
    And we wouldn't have Greek olives without the Italics growing them and putting those perminnows in them.
    Leave em alone.
    And what would Garfield the cat have to eat without the Italics, they invented lazagna.
    A great Italic actors like Tony Danza and Russell Crowe. Good movies from them.
    Say no to racism.
    Now I want a canolli.
  • msg
    hahahaaa! ^^^ Russell Crowe
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Go hang me a salami, I'm a lasagna hog

:- )

(that would look even better in italics)
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    Hey, are you guys still having trouble with italics?
    I usually use Chrome, which it doesn't work in, but am testing it in Firefox and it seems to be working. I vaguely recall it working on an Android tablet, as well.

Italics is italicised in this message. And so is italicised. And so is italicised. And so is italicised. ...
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Seems to be a Chrome thing. Works fine in whatever MS calls their browser now (Edge?)
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    Hey, are you guys still having trouble with italics?
    I usually use Chrome, which it doesn't work in, but am testing it in Firefox and it seems to be working. I vaguely recall it working on an Android tablet, as well.

Italics is italicised in this message. And so is italicised. And so is italicised. And so is italicised. ...
    Seems to be a Chrome thing. Works fine in whatever MS calls their browser now (Edge?)
    Well, that's interesting.
    Harrumpf.

Wonder what's up with that?

I do not see the italics in the first quote above, though the tags are clearly visible in the quote itself.

I mean, I know Google's morphed into evil incarnate, but... I kinda like(d) Chrome.
    (and other forums have no issue with inserted italics via Chrome).

Again, I harrumpf.
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    Interesting on the other sites, thing. I didn't even occur to me to look today. But I took a different allergy med today and this day was a weird ride.

I read on a couple of sites that it could have something to do with a CSS override or something like that; can't remember the exact phrasing. The weird this is that when you view the page source, the italics tag shows up. (is that what you were saying as well, Mark?)

It is supported for Chrome, so not sure why it works in IE and Firefox. I used to use Firefox, but it had a wicked memory leak that would consume several GB of memory, so I converted.
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_i.asp

I wonder if one of the other similar tags would work.
    <em> (emphasized text)
    <strong> (important text)
    <mark> (marked/highlighted text)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Yes, the "operators" (tags) show up but don't seem to work on the output on this site in Chrome. Italics work fine on vBulletin and on XenForo sites for me. The funny thing is that the italics used to work here even after the switch over to Vanilla.

Just -- odd.
  • msg
    Yeah, that's my experience as well. I used italics regularly.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    Hi. I'm Mark, and I'm an italics user.
    But I could quit anytime. Really. I could.
  • lightman1
    But, how will you get your point across Mark if you quit?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Uhh....Italians don't use italics per say, they use sign language. Who do you think taught New Yorkers ?

....and Russ, Cannoli's aren't Italian, they're Sicilian, which is debatable their relation to Italians. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...and Russ, Cannoli's aren't Italian, they're Sicilian, which is debatable their relation to Italians. ;)
    Don't care. Still want one.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    lightman1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...and Russ, Cannoli's aren't Italian, they're Sicilian, which is debatable their relation to Italians. ;)
    Don't care. Still want one.

You and me both, but hard to find good ones. I can eat a whole platter, been known to push a few old folks out of the way for the last one too.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable