Found SDA crs "compact" for $125

On Craigslist in Austin. Should I bite?
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Which version/generation? Makes a difference
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I'm not seasoned enough like yourself to be able to tell. dvq4uh7uzsv5.png

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • codycatalist
    zmokbpggt8t8.png

• JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Not the most desired CRS model. CRS+ models, 1987 and up are the way to go if you are going to get into modifications. Those would still be fun though, and price isn't too bad if they are working properly. I paid $120 for my CRS+ without hesitation and glad that I did. You will always be stuck with needing a common ground amp in order to use SDA interconnect on the model above though. That's not a really bad thing, but will limit choices on amps when/if you start moving up the chain.

I've never heard the dual tweeter version, but most on this forum say that the dimensional tweeter adds some unwanted qualities, ie less realistic sounding if I recall. I think you can just disconnect that tweeter without issue.

First thing you'll want to do is upgrade the SL2000 tweeters to RD-0194s from Polk, if you get them.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    If your looking to mod them, Pass!!! till a set of CRS+'s come around..

I know the price is nice and all but I would rather pay $250-$350 for a nice set of CRS+'s
  • codycatalist
    I agree! Thanks for the insight gents! @Toolfan66 you still want to sell me your SW83?

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    They really look dusty.
    A pet peeve of mine. If someone is going to the bother of trying to make a sale, 2-3 minutes with a rag and some some cleaner makes it look a lot more desireable.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    I agree! Thanks for the insight gents! @Toolfan66 you still want to sell me your SW83?

When ever your ready it's yours.. :)

• codycatalist
    PM sent

• akajimmy
    akajimmy Posts: 50
    Toolfan66 wrote: »
    If your looking to mod them, Pass!!! till a set of CRS+'s come around..

I know the price is nice and all but I would rather pay $250-$350 for a nice set of CRS+'s

I bought a pair of the CRS, why are these not worth modding?
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited April 2016
    They are more expensive to mod than later models and their mods "dead end" at a lower level than the latest models with no support for monoblock amps and they won't accept the latest tweeter.

Latest versions have a more simple crossover that can accept more amp choices and the latest tweeter designs.

It doesn't make them worthless, it just makes them worth less.

HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Just *how* different are the CRS and the CRS+?

•Different baffle (two tweeter holes)
    •Is the passive radiator different, or the same? (I peeked: same)
    •Is the large inductor different, or the same? (I peeked: different)

Just curious, because if a person could live with the disconnected SDA tweeter and the off-center operational tweeter, and the passive and large inductor are the same, then it wouldn't be (too) ridiculous to buy a pair of Gimpod boards, populate them with the 4BTL parts and RD0-198's. The smaller inductors are available from Jantzen (if different between the CRS and CRS+).

Then again, you're looking at 4 new mid drivers. So unless you're one of those MW driver hoarders with a stuffed closet, this IS looking pretty darn ridiculous. I've talked myself out of my original point. Fact-finding wins!

I own a pair of minty CRS that I bought for less than these dusty ones, and I wasn't ever considering doing such mods, even before my research project of the last several minutes. I think they're fun to listen to periodically, and I'm imagine hooking up one of my boys with them when they get a bit older. I'd say if you have a use for them, and don't feel a need to mod beyond the disconnected dimensional tweeter/put in RD0-194's, then you could certainly do worse for $125.

(I just peeked and they're up today for $175 asked--not sure if same seller or an attempted flip. Not interested at that price.)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    The 84' CRSs are 2nd generation. They lack the ability to use non-common ground amps, they lack the sub-bass drive circuit, so deep bass in not as good as later models, and they have dual tweeters. The dimensional tweeters can be disconnected, new RDO-194-1 Tweeters installed, and the crossovers can be upgraded. They will sound much better than stock, but will not sound as good as the later 3rd and 4th generations. They're fine speakers, but in the end, less desirable than the later generations.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • codycatalist
    Yeah I dropped my interests in these. Have to focus on making my 11tls sound like they are suppose to first.

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    I agree w/ K-M. If your going to sell something spend 5 minutes to look a bit more presentable. I actually took it the other way. The speakers I once got were so filthy and not even close to the pics I really let him have it as false representation and of course I got my asking price. The laziness of some people is insane.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Just picked up a pair of second generation CRSs. Had to drive an hour one way to see them. Same situation, in that they were dusty, cat had gotten to the grills, seller couldn't find the interconnect and he didn't know that one of the drivers was frozen.
    So I offered what I that was fair, he accepted and I think I got a good pair of speakers. Replaced the driver and made a cable and they sound sweet running off my Marantz Twenty Egiht. By the way, at lower volumes with the loudness button on, I have more than enough bass.
    Next is to revenier the cabinets, but woodworking is my hobby and I always look forward to rehabbing speakers!