Salamander Synergy Questions

I'm considering switching to a Salamander Synergy AV cabinet. None of the local stores by me carry this line so I have a few questions for owners of their cabinets particularly the Synergy line. From the pictures I've seen they look very nice and I need the customization.

1.) What is your overall impression of the build quality and aesthetics?
2.) Can you see the display on an AVR or other equipment through the metal perforated doors?
3.) Is there any problems with IR transmission through the metal perforated doors?
4.) BDI and Standout designs won't work, do you recommend any other company to check out?

Thanks,
Mike
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
DAC: Bricasti M1SE
Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Thorton wrote: »
    2.) Can you see the display on an AVR or other equipment through the metal perforated doors?

Not really. If you already know what it says you can tell but otherwise it's very difficult to make it out.
    3.) Is there any problems with IR transmission through the metal perforated doors?

Nope.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I have a model 303.
    #1 the rack is rock solid. When you put it together, you will notice how good the construction is.
    #2 you will not be able to read the displays.
    #3 I have not experienced any remote issues. There might be a slight chance...
    #4 No
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited March 2016
    I bought a Triple 20 unit a few years ago for my first big LCD flat screen TV. That has an open shelf design with doors below like this:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=SMKSLC20

That gets around two problems: where to put the receiver so the display is visible, and where to put a center channel speaker if the TV is sitting on the top shelf.

Later, I bought a couple of the Twin 30 cabinets with the open shelf design for two channel systems so that the preamp is visible on the open shelf with source components on the top shelf. Amps and power conditioning gear go behind the perforated doors. Frosted glass doors are another option, but the perforated doors make more sense to me. I agree with what others have said about the visibility of components behind the perforated doors.

I would recommend buying a Salamander rack locally because of the potential for shipping damage and that the cabinets aren't discounted much, if any, online. These things are heavy and solidly built, but not packed very well for shipping by freight. Having said that, I ordered all of mine online and they arrived undamaged. The boxes were pretty banged up and dented though and I was concerned about having to send one back.

I should also add that the doors do not serve a structural purpose and can easily be left off individually or altogether.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Thanks guys. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Emlyn, I'll probably go the same route with the center channel inside the cabinet by sizing the height of a double shelf and have my prepro exposed without doors below it. All the rest of the components will be behind the perforated doors for ventilation and I like the way the perforated doors look.

Thanks again!
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Nightfall
    edited March 2016
    Which one are you looking at?

qt7glyS.jpg

Excuse the mess, that's mine. It looks like you can see through the doors in the picture, that's weird, but you cannot in person.

• Thorton
    Nightfall, I'm looking at the 345 (quad) without the 2 small doors and lowering the double shelf to fit a new center I purchased and have my prepro beneath it.

I really like how they look and your setup looks great.
  • Nightfall
    The quad is 87" wide, how far back is your seating? The 236 that I have is 65.75" wide and if I had to spread my speakers apart any further I wouldn't be making an equilateral triangle anymore.

• Thorton
    The cabinet is actually narrower than my current one with the TV inside. My MLP is 13 feet from the current TV location. My speakers are moved into the room because of room modes. The speakers are 10 feet apart and the speakers to the MLP is 12 feet. I spent a few weekends finding the right placement with getting basically a flat frequency response. Imaging with a slight toe-in in no problem with the Salks.

I need the bigger cabinet to hold all my equipment and my new center is a monster. 32" wide and 12" high. There's not too many cabinets that would fit it. For a triple, I would have to place the center on the top of the cabinet. If I place the center on top of the cabinet and put a 75" TV on top of it, then I probably run into height issues with the TV.
  • Nightfall
    The cabinet is actually narrower than my current one

Sounds like you have plenty of room. Might even see an improvement with the narrower Salamander if you leave your speakers where they are right now because they'll have more "breathing" room on their insides.

I say go for it, Salamander makes awesome furniture with lots of accessories you can buy if you want. Rear panels with fans built into them for exhausting heat, TV mounts, sliding shelves, drawers, etc.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/collection/40dbc840-a607-7fe4-f16d-506f56beb9f4

• Thorton
    Thanks Nightfall. You know after how much time I've spent with speaker location (and that includes my surrounds), I really didn't want to switch anything up on their locations if I don't have to. The system sounds great for 2 channel and HT.

I agree with you, hopefully it will be a slight improvement with more room. Thanks again.
  • Nightfall
    For some reason that link didn't go exactly where I wanted. Scroll down a bit and click on the "Accessories" tab under the first large main picture.

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    I'm considering switching to a Salamander Synergy AV cabinet. None of the local stores by me carry this line so I have a few questions for owners of their cabinets particularly the Synergy line. From the pictures I've seen they look very nice and I need the customization.

1.) What is your overall impression of the build quality and aesthetics?

Excellent on both counts. Salamander's customer service always answered my questions promptly and completely prior to purchase.

I can make out the large 3/8" letters and numbers on my preamp display. Anything smaller...no.

No.
    4.) BDI and Standout designs won't work, do you recommend any other company to check out?

I looked for a long time before buying my Salamander Synergy Triple 30 and Quad 30 cabinets. They were the only cabinets I found that met my aesthetic and load bearing criteria.

The Triple 30 holds 575 pounds of gear including two 132 pound monoblock amps. The Quad 30 holds 647 pounds of gear including a 135 pound plasma TV on top. I use felt sliders under the metal feet for use on a hardwood floor and I use plastic sliders under the metal feet for use on a ceramic tile floor.

srsdk.jpg

003HomeTheaterComponents-s.jpg

2Ch%20Front-dCS-s_zpsyoxg6sim.jpg

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Thorton
    Thanks DK for the answers and pictures. Your systems look great....as always. That's a hell of a lot of gear. That's why I also want the quad. One to fit my center and two for any future additions like a dedicated two channel preamp with HT bypass or who knows what. The pictures of your two set-ups and Nightfalls have the exact style I'm looking for to upgrade to.

Thanks again guys.