Who would be considered the best new rock bands of the last10 years to present

Answers

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    dromunds wrote: »
    I also like The Pines, formed by Bo Ramsey's son out of Minneapolis. Tedeschi-Trucks Band is another favorite.

Donny boy!! The Pines are one of my favorites. (maybe you knew that?)
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    heiney9 wrote: »
    It is all good......I look forward to something I might want to try coming from this thread.

I will add Rival Sons is getting some play at home and is growing on me.

H9

I really like Rival Sons first album as well.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • hochpt21
    Godsmack and the foo fighter have been around for about 30 years.

I almost choked on my Canadian whiskey and squirt. I agree with @pitdogg2 ...I love both, but yes...they've been rocking for a few recesses.
  • hochpt21
    Check out Foals.

Their latest album is great.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    "Best" is obviously pretty subjective. I like a little bit of almost any type of music, so I agree with some of the previous suggestions. My personal favorite band to emerge in the last 10 years might be Gaslight Anthem. They're a little thrashy and "punk-ish" to some degree, but anyone who appreciates Springsteen's music might be interested.
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    edited March 2016
    Some recent favorites of mine:

Wye Oak
    The Love Language
    Worriers
    The Head and The Heart
    Raw Milk
    Real Estate
    Dilly Dally

A little older than 10 years but decently close:
    Interpol
    The Strokes
    Bloc Party
    Frank Ferdinand
    The Killers
    Editors
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs
    Metric
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    Also, it's not quite true rock but Alt-J is up there for best non-rap of the 2010's so far.
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Halestorm is great...
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Deerhunter
    White Stripes
    Tame Impala
    Black Keys
    War on Drugs
    Tobacco
    Ringo Deathstarr
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    so I'm off a little not near as much as you. Godsmack 99 Foo fighters 95

That depends on the math. Using common core it is 30 years. You take the difference between the first 3 digits and add that to the difference between the last digits then you multiply by the number of years in a decade.
    u2i7hhuyqh06.png
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited March 2016
    OK - 13 years but you gotta give these guys a listen if you haven't - The Sword:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVkrh9fihFk
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Godsmack and the foo fighter have been around for about 30 years.

I almost choked on my Canadian whiskey and squirt.

yes that combination would choke me too...never knew that was a good mix:)

That depends on the math. Using common core it is 30 years. You take the difference between the first 3 digits and add that to the difference between the last digits then you multiply by the number of years in a decade.
    u2i7hhuyqh06.png

Sorry man my abacus had some low batteries B)

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited March 2016

u2i7hhuyqh06.png

Man! On behalf of the four-thirds of Americans, myself included, who struggle with fractions and math in general, thanks for clearing that up!
    :- )
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2016
    It all depends on how we are defining "rock band" here. 4/4 with the kick on 1 and 3 only? Or can we get a little bit funky???

I agree with The Black Keys, and Rival Sons are growing on me.

For a bit funkier, blues, roots, gospel and southern infused rock, its hard to be the Tedeschi Trucks Band. Also a big fan of Susan Tedeschi's solo work. Also Rocco deLuca and the Burden have two really good albums. In a similar vein, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals definitely rock. Shovel's and Rope has some great stuff as well.

My Morning Jacket is a great southern influenced but more straightforward rock.

More straightforward, Dawes' last two albums are fantastic. He is an incredible lyricist.

The National is another great fantastic band, been making music a little longer than ten years. More straightforward rock in roll

And got to give a shoot out to a local fav, Spoon also makes great music.

That's just a few of my favs. I like a lot of previous suggestions as well. If you can't find anything in the last ten years you like, you're just no paying attention or you're stuck in the '70's and ain't nothin gonna pull your arse outt!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • MrBuhl
    12 years - The Black Angels -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PG9Rh-qmdg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• MrBuhl
    Sorry last one - I'm on a countdown to the actual stated time frame I guess - 11 years - Stone Foxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvEtts_67AU

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    edited March 2016
    I was going to say The Black Keys as well. Though they formed about 15 years ago they have come to the mainstream in probably the past 5 years or so.

As have been mentioned, Rival Sons. I like them quite a bit.

I took the OP to mean bands that have been formed in about the past 10 years regardless of who the band members are. Basically new(er) bands that he may not have heard of.

Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Black Keys are pretty cool -- wait, that's another thread, isn't it?

;- )
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited March 2016
    Surely I am not the only Queens of the Stone Age fan here? I get they were formed in 1996 but they didn't really hit it until mid 2000's.
    And I would also add Nathaniel Rateliff and The Barr Brothers to my list.
    Post edited by 11tsteve on
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nightfall wrote: »

C'mon buddy! Cluthes first album came out in '91-'92.
    Fear the beard! Pure, uncompromising bad a$$ rock n roll!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    11tsteve wrote: »
    Surely I am not the only Queens of the Stone Age fan here? I get they were formed in 1996 but they didn't really hit it until mid 2000's.
    And I would also add Nathaniel Rateliff and The Barr Brothers to my list.

Kyuss, QotSA, Brant Bjork, yep.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    lightman1 wrote: »
    C'mon buddy! Clutches first album came out in '91-'92.

Whoops.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nightfall wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    C'mon buddy! Clutches first album came out in '91-'92.

Whoops.

Benny Goodman!
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Jimi.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Beth Hart together with Joe Bonamassa. Both great as separate acts, but more special together.

Riverside for progressive metal.

My view is that there is more high quality music being produced now than ever before but it takes more effort to find it. People seem to forget the amount of garbage music that was made throughout the last few decades for popular consumption and remember only the good stuff. Things are not really that different now.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    This is the latest from the Savages that I mentioned several posts ago, 4 female band from London that are pretty hard and imaginative.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81AjWYDg99L._SX522_.jpg
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Emlyn wrote: »
    My view is that there is more high quality music being produced now than ever before but it takes more effort to find it. People seem to forget the amount of garbage music that was made throughout the last few decades for popular consumption and remember only the good stuff. Things are not really that different now.

Yep. If u can't find a anything to like ur either not looking or you're falling victim to confirmation bias-u don't think there is anything good so u don't find anything.

Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer