Who would be considered the best new rock bands of the last10 years to present

Options
Of the last 10 years to present who would be considered as best top rock bands

Answers

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    Only one I can think of offhand would be Alabama Shakes (formed 2009, according to their website).
    http://www.alabamashakes.com/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    Jack White and his various projects come to mind quickly.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Does he hit the "last 10 years" requirement... I was thinkin' maybe a little older?

EDIT: White Stripes formed in 1997 per Google -- maybe half-credit for post White Stripes endeavors... but I think he's technically an old guy now.

• heiney9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Ummmm....I think so Raconteurs, Dead Weather and Jack White all still making music. Not sure what you're getting at. He's the originator or member of all 3 and made music the past 10 years to the present.

The question as I understand it, is who has made good rock music in the last 10 years? All the above fall into the "last 10 years"

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I thought the OP was looking for new rock bands in the last 10 years (per his title -- "the best new rock bands of the last 10 years to present", as opposed to "still making music") -- but, yeah, Jack White has (edit) probably had "new" ventures in the last 10 years, so he (they) probably do count. He himself is (now) old guard, by definition, though.

I mean, heck, for all I know, some of the 1960s or 1970s dinosaur bands may have put out new music since 2006, but that's another story entirely.

I really do need to listen to more of White's output -- nothing's really caught my ear, but his heart does seem to be in the right place.

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I got nothin.'
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Dead Weather for sure is a new rock band within the last 10 years, although other Jack White iterations may not be, not sure about the Raconteurs, but the Dead Weather is his latest band anyway so probably doesn't matter. Dead Weather rocks. Saw them at Jazzfest in New Orleans. Alison Mosshart is not hard to look at.
  • heiney9
    Options
    How can you be a new rock band from 10 years ago? I don't follow your logic.

The Racantuers and Dead Weather were all formed within that 10 year window, hence why I mentioned them. After those bands Jack White did a couple solo albums, all within the 10 year time frame so I'm not sure what you mean mhardy6647.

Do we just forget about a band that was formed about 4-5 years ago called Black Country Communion because the members were in earlier bands pre 2006?

H9

• heiney9
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The Circle is also a great recent band, with members from other bands prior to 2006. Are they not eligible for this thread since they aren't "new" performers?

H9
  • heiney9
    Options
    Because I'm bored - Racanteurs were formed in 2006; Dead Weather in 2009. His solo album came out in 2012. All within the 10 year window the OP is asking about.

:D
  • dromunds
    Options
    I also like The Pines, formed by Bo Ramsey's son out of Minneapolis. Tedeschi-Trucks Band is another favorite.
  • heiney9
    Options
    Lol - the op never said "new"
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2016
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Lol - the op never said "new"

Title of the thead.
    Who would be considered the best new rock bands of the last10 years to present

We're obviously reading the OP's intent differently.
    It's all good though... because some of us (e.g., me) tend to get stuck in the past and miss out on new stuff that's good... so I like threads like this.

I heard an interview with the Alabama Shakes frontwoman a couple of weeks ago and liked the music I heard. I'd heard of the band, but knew nothing of them. Now I do.

• heiney9
    Options
    It is all good......I look forward to something I might want to try coming from this thread.

I will add Rival Sons is getting some play at home and is growing on me.

H9
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    ditto.

Takin' names.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,173
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    While not formed (new) within the last 10 years, I have just discovered Marylin Manson within the last year, so he s new to me. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    A Perfect Circle. More than 10 years, their first album was 2000 but I'm throwing them in anyway.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Godsmack and foo fighters come to mind
  • Easy Runnin
    Easy Runnin Posts: 501
    Options
    Godsmack and the foo fighter have been around for about 30 years.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • dromunds
    Options
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Options
    I guess I should've listed this in the discussion thread.Just looking to find some recommendations for relatively recent artists of the last 10 years or so as I'm not up much on the newer stuff out there! Just for clarification the old guard collaborations as Chickenfoot and Circle in my opinion would be considered new bands.Anyway my thanks for heads up so far. With all the pop and rap being marketed today its getting hard to find any new quality rocking tunes [It seems like its getting to the point that if it wasn't for old rock we'd have no rock at all,and might just get to where we may have to drive our Chevy's to the levy
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    Godsmack and the foo fighter have been around for about 30 years.

so I'm off a little not near as much as you. Godsmack 99 Foo fighters 95
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Bastille, Imagine Dragons, Cage the Elephant, and The Black Keys, just off the top of me head.
  • dromunds
    Options
    Yeah, Black Keys
  • whgarrett1394
    Options
    I'm going to say Arcade Fire since they are a band even though their debut album landed in 2004.

However, Kanye West is the most prolific artist to hit the scene in the last 10 years.
    KEF Q50 mains, M&K center, Boston Acoustics surround, Marantz SR6007 pre, Emotiva UPA-700, Pioneer DV-46AV, Samsung BD-j7500, Sunfire HRS12 subwoofer
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,472
    Options
    Almost 10 years :)http://youtu.be/WGt-8adyabk
    Randy/Maine