FedEx and SMc brought me some fun today.

Options
11tsteve
11tsteve Posts: 1,166
edited March 2016 in 2 Channel Audio
well, after four weeks and one day, my DNA 0.5 returned home today. As usual, my week is busy, but I have the house to myself this weekend.... newly upgraded amp, hopefully I can get the rest of my Lsi9 finished, new-to-me cables....
Here's a start.

rkanbltjykuk.jpg
vt8joprrruqk.jpg
30u4qlpb9uhs.jpg
1g730o2srdip.jpg
grqthz2n1vkn.jpg
7pnjcuwz87l1.jpg
spzqybhyd30r.jpg
l2qumoghrisc.jpg

Polk Lsi9
N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
NAD 1020 completely refurbished
Keces DA-131 mk.II
Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Great amp, enjoy.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    It was already fantastic before the upgrades.....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • ledhed
    ledhed Posts: 1,088
    Options
    Be careful, that pentagram might have been holding in all the audio demons >:)
    God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    Options
    Awesome and I love the packaging. It is ready to rock! I can't wait to hear more about the improvements made and the difference in sound.
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    breal74 wrote: »
    Awesome and I love the packaging. It is ready to rock! I can't wait to hear more about the improvements made and the difference in sound.

yeah, the packing was fine, but a cr*p-ton of peanuts, which I despise. Maybe I should karma them?
    It was in my original box, with some of my original 1 1/2" foam and packing, and double boxed surrounded by peanuts.
    I didn't have time last night to change things around.... going to do that tonight, get cabling in order, and let the amp sit powered up for a couple of days. Most likely I will start listening Friday night or Saturday.
    Basically, the only things left from the original amp are the chassis, the transformer (the toridial upgrade was another $600), and the output boards/transistors.
    I can't pretend to understand much of it as far as the technical details. But the main board was replaced with a new , built like a tank mainboard, all components and wiring updated, posts and RCA jacks, a Furtech IEC, and the amp sat in between their two reference systems for a week being evaluated by Steve and Pat.
    I spoke with Pat numerous times on the phone, and wish they weren't so busy as it was very interesting.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    Some nudies if you like...... I am rushed and they aren't super great....

The original.8hv1aridx86l.jpg
    bnx3eq9448d4.jpg

The new.
    94pg8iug0dot.jpg
    7qgmbx4rku20.jpg
    ddcun588f6rp.jpg
    yzamtakil5rr.jpg
    ifwkcy1sg79z.jpg
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Looks brand new, now hook her up and tell us what ya hear. I'd imagine some break in is needed too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Looks brand new, now hook her up and tell us what ya hear. I'd imagine some break in is needed too.

I would to, though it sounds like they put a lot of time in listening over the 5 days in their two systems.
    My task at work is tearing apart and residing a 100'W x 240' x 12'H industrial red iron building, dawn to dusk, and has left little play time.... playing bachelor this weekend and not worrying about bothering anyone is going to be a welcomed luxury. Cable swapping, speaker swapping, and some fine rye aged ales.....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    Options
    Sounds like a plan, I'm jonesin to hear your thoughts. Go figure, they actually listened to it for a week before shipping back to you, take note Onkyo. lol Ken really had a hard time with them.

Any Parasound owners in the hca1200-1500 area, this is the brand you should move up to. One of the best SS amps for the money that don't sound like your typical SS amp.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Very nice! Congrats :)
  • 11tsteve
    edited March 2016
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan, I'm jonesin to hear your thoughts. Go figure, they actually listened to it for a week before shipping back to you, take note Onkyo. lol Ken really had a hard time with them.

Any Parasound owners in the hca1200-1500 area, this is the brand you should move up to. One of the best SS amps for the money that don't sound like your typical SS amp.

Yeah.... I thought it was an impressive part of the upgrade process. Both Pat and Steve spent time listening, and moving things around between the two systems as needed for other projects. Their systems have Vandersteen and Genesis speakers, so nothing outrageously high end, but nice.
    Also, I had briefly considered moving up to a DNA 1 Deluxe, but was told that my money would be better spent on the DNA 0.5. There is a lot of love there (still) for this model of amp.
    All in all, nobody should EVER worry about dealing with SMc..... hands on, accessible super nice people out there. They told me 4 weeks, it took 4 weeks.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Nice amp for sure, does this mean an Iowa Polk Fest, up Waterloo way this year? :p
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Damn now that is some very fine amp p o r n!! Congrats, I have been seriously considering this myself, I will be anxious to hear your thoughts! (**** banned for craps sake...)
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• breal74
    Options
    Very nice 11steve! You must feel like a proud new papa. Beautiful looking work and I can't wait to hear how much of the original sound remains. Have fun breaking it in!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    Nice amp for sure, does this mean an Iowa Polk Fest, up Waterloo way this year? :p

Waterloo??!! Next on the list I think.
    Nice hot rod amp there, let 'er rip!
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    Ha Lootown Polkfest.... well, it would mix well with my wife's love of loud things and meeting strangers....... still, an Iowa fest would be a ton of fun. Have McCormack Will Travel....
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • breal74
    Options
    8ldzavvc6x5a.gif

What's the good word on the amp?

On a side note, I grew up in Cedar Rapids and most of my family still lives in the area.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Now that's a nice amp! And looks like some serious upgrading took place! Glad I don't see hockey tape and tin foil in there, that's always a good sign :smiley:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• 11tsteve
    Options
    breal74 wrote: »
    8ldzavvc6x5a.gif

What's the good word on the amp?
    On a side note, I grew up in Cedar Rapids and most of my family still lives in the area.
    The month my amp was at SMc, my rig had my old NAD 2150, which has seen some better days. It needs recapping, but is good enough to keep me from jonesing.... so that is where I am coming from into this DNA 0.5. I have switched between 5jr+, RTA 11T, and my Infinity Rsb, which happen to be currently hooked up.

First impression is the dynamics are incredible. Madonna's "Ray of Light" just started, and the bass/drums enter, it literally made me jump as I was typing. I may or may not be putting the amp through it's paces at a somewhat elevated volume.

I would say it's control is iron fisted, even with these 10" woofers. The degree of separation between voices, instruments.... is just nutty... I think this might be what is called air in critiques. I have Nathanial Rateliff on now, and the placement of his band is just solid, and even during the fuller passages I can distinguish the entire bass line like never before.

There has been experimentation with placement of speakers. My room is dead horrible for this, and I do the best I can. Right now with the Rsb on stands, I have them toed in slightly, which seems to work the best, and the soundstage is pinpoint and 3-D , and to the best of my memory, has more verticality than before.

During the clapping in "S.O.B", the dynamics are such that I can feel the hand clapping during the beginning.....

Listening to Cake, the pick on guitar strings and the growl of the amp..... the "feel" of a stick on a drumhead. I can "hear" the elasticity of the tom heads.....

In feel and dynamics, I would say the amp is detailed and fast, especially since I have listened to the NAD for a month (which has dynamics, but to me sounds warm and fuzzy).

Right now, the one negative.... I would call the overall tone of the amp just a smidge hot (on all three sets of speakers.) at the moment. Even though Steve and the techs did some listening, I would still chalk this up to a little break in time needed. But what I hear is the same thing I get when freshly recapped speakers are first hooked up.

I have some cable swapping to be done over the next week as well, experimenting.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • breal74
    Options
    Thanks for the update and keep us posted on the break in. Feels good to have your socks blown off by a new piece of gear, doesn't it?
  • tonyb
    Options
    Socks ??

The dude's sack flew out the window and is hanging from a neighbors tree.

Glad your diggin' it. Don't let that .05 fool you, she has dynamics to spare and then some as you already know. After it breaks in, if you still have a smidgen of too much tone, you may want to look at different cables. Just a suggestion, rock on.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    I love how over built it is, the terminals on the back for the speaker cables are just awesome.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    thanks for the write up. Sounds like fun to me!!!
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    Tomorrow the upgraded Lsi9 make their return.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Looks like a totally new amp, congrats!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    I have touched on what I am hearing in the Lsi9 thread, and really, since speakers, amp, and cables have all been changed/upgraded, it is now more of a review of the system.
    What I wrote above still applies, but since dropping in the Lsi9, that stringent "hot" things has disappeared. Even during break-in, I have to say I love the tweeters on these speakers, and at least in my house, these Polks seem to be exactly what this amp needed in the tonality department.
    The holographic nature of the presentation is stunning. I personally, have not experienced yet this level of musicality and flow. Especially the vocal presence... the space between the vocalist and drum kit feels real....
    Within my audio rabbit hole, I have spent more cash in the last two months, between amp and speaker upgrades, than the sum total of the last two years. And I gotta say.... you get what you pay for....

The cash and the work on the Polks?

Sooooooo worth it.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    Options
    Glad your a happy camper man, that's what the journey is all about. Put a lock on that wallet and enjoy the tunes. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    really, good job and enjoy! :)
  • 11tsteve
    Options
    I sent SMc audio an email updating my thoughts on the "new" amp last week. In their own hands-on style, I received a phone call from tech Pat on Sunday, thanking me for my thoughts. As always, it lead to a somewhat lengthy phone call discussing present and future upgrade paths, tweaks, and thoughts on the state of audio.
    He asked if I had replaced the fuses yet with higher quality ones, and I expressed a need to slow down on audio spending at the moment due to very recent medical costs I have incurred.
    He then gave me a couple of "free" tweaks to try.... one thing that has some up even since mine was upgraded in February.
    #1... lid off. Everyone there has always thought the amp really opens up once the lid is removed. To this end, he told me they have tried many, many differing substrates to make a new series of chassis lids, and have decided on carbon fiber. These will be available soon... they found an audible difference over the metal lid.
    #2... the old yellow /green power light original to my amp was replaced by a blue LED, as the "soft on" feature of the amp was removed. They have been disappointed to find that, since it is plugged directly into the driver board, it creates an audible difference and that I should experiment with unplugging it. They have since been spending time figuring out how to re-route it so it has no impact.
    Ok, gotta run to work... just thought I would share these thoughts.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    Options
    Are you going to try the lid-off idea? Kinda like driving a car without a hood. I don't know if I want to do it, but if you have a good experience let me know.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends