Another setup question - Advice

I have just set up a pair of Rti100 front L/R with a Denon 3802. I have the subs disconnected (unbridged) and running from the sub preamp on the Denon. I have the speakers set to Large and sub set to 80 hertz crossover.

I don't seem to be getting the base I expected except on DVD with surround. The Denon manual isn't clear but seems to suggest that subs are only running with surround. Is this correct? Doesn't seem correct to me. Would I be better off rebridging the subs and disconnecting the preamp connection for sub from the Denon?
Post edited by rsfrid on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited April 2002
    Hello,
    Welcome to the Forum. The problem, you're experiencing, is probably caused by "double filtering". This happens when you send an audio signal that is filtered (the receiver's sub-out connection) into another device that has an additional filter at the same or nearby frequency (the built-in low pass filter of the RTi100). The two filters, in tandem, reduce the level of bass information produced by the speaker.
    Try removing the sub-out connection, replace the binding post jumper plates and setting your receiver so a full range audio signal is given to your speakers. This would permit the built-in low pass filter, of the speaker, to function without any additional filtering.
    Best regards, Ken Swauger
  • rsfrid
    rsfrid Posts: 8
    edited April 2002
    Thanks Kenneth, I'll try that tonight.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited April 2002
    To add to that, if you don't have a seperate subwoofer you'll want to change your bass management settings on your receiver (usually under "speaker setup" or some such name). Set your mains (left and right speakers) to LARGE and subwoofer to OFF (or NO). This will direct the LFE bass channel to your RT100i's and also redirect all bass under 80Hz. from any speakers you set to SMALL.

Aaron
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    I have the older brother of the RTi100s, the RT1000i's and have them set up in the following way: I have speaker cable going from the terminals on the back of my receiver to the upper terminals on the RT1000i's. Without using the binding posts connector (that little flat gold thing), I then have a RCA cable running from the Front Right and Left preouts to the sub in on the speakers. This way also allows for a full signal sent through the RCA cable to the speaker so the speaker can filter the sound to the correct driver. I then have my reciever set Front: Large, Sub: Both (sub and Front).

Whatever you choose, make sure it sounds good to you.
    :)
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    The way I suggested will result in the full signal being sent to the speaker and in my opinion is the best way to hook up the speakers. With the RT100i/RT1000i I see no reason to use the RCA cables.

Aaron
  • lax01
    lax01 Posts: 496
    edited April 2002
    Ohh sorry does he not have a sub? I thought I read he did. The way I do it is best if you have a seperate sub. Sorry about that.
  • Aaron
    edited April 2002
    Ohh sorry does he not have a sub? I thought I read he did. The way I do it is best if you have a seperate sub. Sorry about that.
    Whether or not he has a sub doesn't effect the hookup option in this case. It only affects the bass management setting. If you have a separate subwoofer you would set subwoofer to ON (instead of OFF). I still don't see why you're using the RCA cables.

Aaron
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited April 2002
    I agree Aaron:

Gary
  • rsfrid
    edited April 2002
    Yesterday I reprogrammed my setup as suggested here (thanks Aaron and Kenneth). I now have the RTi100's set to Large and the jumper installed. Much improved. Also got a sound pressure meter and adjusted the amp outputs using that. It helped quite a bit. For now, it is working just fine. Love my Polks!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Pick up a psw450 and everything willbe allright!!:D
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    I also wanted to say good choice in receiver's to power your rti100's.Nice and smooth,yeah thats the way I like it, nice and smooth!!
    Dan
  • rsfrid
    edited April 2002
    Mantis, agreed - the combo sounds surprizingly smooth. Too bad I have to work - I'd love to be home listening to Sting's new album at a comfortable volume in 5 channel stereo!
  • mantis
    edited April 2002
    Don't you just love when thing's come together??I do
    Enjoy man nice job!!
    Dan
    Dan
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited April 2002
    Too bad I have to work - I'd love to be home...

Man. I could not agree more. I need to go home. Too bad this work thing keeps getting in the way of me enjoying my life...

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited May 2002
    Micah:
    You work, your here. Some of the time.
    We're home, we're here. Some of the time.
    We all deserve back pay. Just razzin'. I'm sure that the time at work that isn't spent here is, oh so horrible.

I agree with Aaron and Mantis, but also try this. Do the 100s have powered subs? If so try re-hooking the subs, setting your speakers to small and bumping up the crossover freq. on your receiver.

Polk (Justin): Is there a way you could add a tab to the Forum area so I can check out the new stuff without leaving the Forum? There might already be a way that I just don't know.
    Make it Funky! :)