Crap...........have to stop looking at Audio sale sites!!

heiney9
heiney9 Posts: 25,053
edited January 2016 in The Clubhouse
This disease (audio junkies disease) is really getting the better of me. I don't NEED anything for my main rig. I am extremely happy with everything at this point. Still have some tweaking to do with the SDA's. Rings, spikes, etc. And after the 2nd round with the Backert pre-amp I am installing the Dexa discrete op-amps in the Eastern Electric Mini Max Plus Dac.

But I am always looking at audio f/s sites. I found another Nelson Pass amp at a killer price that I have been wanting to audition, even though I have nothing but praise for my Aleph 30. I don't need it beyond being curious and my love for Nelson Pass amps.

Do I incur the short wrath of the girlfriend and pull the trigger on the assumption that I will sell one of them eventually. I already booked V-Day plans, so I'm good there.....lol.

Or do I just let it pass (pun intended) and walk away, only to regret taking advantage of a stellar deal. I've been watching this amp for awhile and I'd be hard pressed to pay what a place like Reno HiFi wants for a fully warrantied used piece. This one almost $1K less than Reno sells used pieces for.

Oh the situations I get myself in. I CAN'T pass up a good deal! It's my Achilles heal!!

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Pass or first watt? I say go for it!...she's only a girlfriend....
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited January 2016
    So buy it, check it out, and sell something else in exchange or sell the Pass for market value which sounds like it would net you a profit.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • heiney9
    Yes, I am a skeptic because sometimes things are too good to be true so I will be doing my due diligence on the seller to make sure it's on the up and up.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited January 2016
    mrbiron wrote: »

First Watt..... she is supportive, but has no idea what things cost. Meaning if I can spend that kind of money on a piece of audio equipment, she's going to want her exotic vacation soon......lol

• heiney9
    Nightfall wrote: »
    So buy it, check it out, and sell something else in exchange or sell the Pass for market value which sounds like it would net you a profit.

No profit, out of pocket $700-800 when all shakes out if I kept it and sold the Aleph. A wash if I buy it and decide it's not for me and resell it.

It's not common ground so I need to build an AI-1 before I could even listen to it....so there's that.

H9
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    What she doesn't know won't kill her. Tell her it was A LOT LESS than an engagement ring. :p
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Any one of us could have written this post. I especially love the part where you say you can always sell something. (That's right up there with "I can stop any time I like.") I use that trick on myself all the time to assuage my conscience and feed the denial.

Try this on her:
    "If you really love me..."

Then, as a precautionary measure, brace for impact.
    I disabled signatures.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Just get her a Michael Kors purse/handbag, or one from the other popular designers, and spend, spend, spend! B)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    You only live once :)
    Randy/Maine
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I think it's hilarious you can say CR@P in a thread title but not in a post....

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Brock you've got enough stuff in closets to make up the cost of you really wanted it lol....

Couple DACs, your wall o tubes, etc hehehehe
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708

That is hilarious!

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    edited January 2016
    Brock you've got enough stuff in closets to make up the cost of you really wanted it lol....

Couple DACs, your wall o tubes, etc hehehehe

True, but I don't want to get rid of all that just justify getting this amp. It's a good enough price if it didn't work out, I could sell it. I just hate the chore of selling outside my friends and this forum, especially a higher $$$ piece.

I am doing some reading right now about the amp. There's lots of info from Papa himself and reviews, etc. This is one of the few FW amps that can run conventional speakers well. Inputs are transformer coupled to J-Fet outputs, a single stage push/pull class A amp. Simple, simple, simple. 25wpc/8 ohms and 50wpc/ 4 ohms.

Tax season is here and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a decent amount back. I have spent a lot recently on audio and told myself I was going to stop for awhile, but sometimes you find a great deal.

Now who has a transformer I can use to build an AI-1????

H9
  • heiney9
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Just get her a Michael Kors purse/handbag, or one from the other popular designers, and spend, spend, spend! B)

She's not into designer stuff so much......but an exotic location vacation...... :D
  • heiney9
    F1nut wrote: »

That is hilarious!

Yeah, I was surprised too. Didn't even think about it being a "bad" word when I made the post. I suppose Ken might come along and edit to read "darn".

H9
  • heiney9
    My only caveat is this is a "pilot run"meaning it was a pre-production unit. It uses Semi South R100 J-Fets. The final version runs use Mos-Fets and the general consensus is the Mos-Fet sounds a little better.

Here's the article comparing the two

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/firstwatt/1.html

Both are outstanding but the Mos-Fet seems to get the nod.
  • msg
    edited January 2016
    Since you don't *really* need it, why not just hold out for the one you *really* want? Doesn't really seem worth it if you won't be truly satisfied.
    I disabled signatures.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    I kind of feel the same way this week. I have been very happy with my McCormack DNA 0.5, and the entire system... but found myself looking at DNA 1 Deluxes. I almost pulled the trigger on one this week.... in the course of that, I had occasion to talk to SMcAUdio.

So now, somehow, instead of me buying a DNA 1 Deluxe for relatively little out-of-pocket expense, my DNA 0.5 is on it's way to be almost completely rebuilt with the Gold+ upgrade package.
    My wife knows I sent it in, and what's being done to it. She also knows not to ask how much.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Judging by that review Brock, it seems to me it might be a tad too laid back. Even at the end, he claims it's an "older" man's amp. I know your a year younger than Moses, but you sure that type of sound would mate well with the MM, Polks, and MIT cables ? It appears it may even be warmer than the Pass.

Looks like an over abundance of warmth to me, but if you like that sound go for it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • heiney9
    msg wrote: »
    Since you don't *really* need it, why not just hold out for the one you *really* want? Doesn't really seem worth it if you won't be truly satisfied.

The rub is, I don't know. Nelson says it was a surprise for him to prefer the Mos-Fet in the end. But if I read between the lines, we are splitting hairs at this level, and we all hears and like different things.

First Watt amps are very limited and is a way for Nelson to tinker with circuits without having to meet a "corporate" mindset. So in a sense they are all "experiments" and they are all different "flavors"

I have just been wanting to give one a whirl to satisfy my curiosity. There are really only 3 or 4 that can mate with a conventional speaker. The J2 (long discontinued, but an evolution of the Aleph 30 using J-Fets) M2, F5 and F6.

The one I'm looking at retailed for $3500, Reno Hi-Fi sells gently used units for $2595-2995. This guy is asking $1650. Another idiot is asking $3500 for his pilot unit.

At $1650, I probably won't loose any money or very little if it just doesn't fit in my system. Although this guy has had it F/S for several weeks. It's a very limited market for sure.

Or, I can just wait until a reasonably priced Pass XA-30.5 or XA-30.8 come for sale, at about twice the price!

I'm still contemplating.

H9
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158

So we should put our true feelings in the post title for now on. :D

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • msg
    heiney9 wrote: »
    msg wrote: »

The rub is, I don't know. Nelson says it was a surprise for him to prefer the Mos-Fet in the end. But if I read between the lines, we are splitting hairs at this level, and we all hears and like different things.

First Watt amps are very limited and is a way for Nelson to tinker with circuits without having to meet a "corporate" mindset. So in a sense they are all "experiments" and they are all different "flavors"

I have just been wanting to give one a whirl to satisfy my curiosity. There are really only 3 or 4 that can mate with a conventional speaker. The J2 (long discontinued, but an evolution of the Aleph 30 using J-Fets) M2, F5 and F6.

The one I'm looking at retailed for $3500, Reno Hi-Fi sells gently used units for $2595-2995. This guy is asking $1650. Another idiot is asking $3500 for his pilot unit.

At $1650, I probably won't loose any money or very little if it just doesn't fit in my system. Although this guy has had it F/S for several weeks. It's a very limited market for sure.

Or, I can just wait until a reasonably priced Pass XA-30.5 or XA-30.8 come for sale, at about twice the price!

I'm still contemplating.

H9
    yeah, I hear ya man, that curiosity can be a bit of a mad-maker. I go through this pretty much every time I'm trying to figure out which way to go with a piece of gear, or when something relatively rare for me pops up. similarly, until actually getting hands/ears on it, you'll never really know. For me, this usually means extended experience with plenty of time to settle in with it to know for certain. Sometimes I just end up getting the piece in question anyway, if I'm able, in order to find out for myself and mostly to relieve the madness/curiosity. If that's an option and a you really can turn it around later without much of a beating, then it sounds like you don't have much to lose and you hereby have my permission to move forward :)

I just know that I've been in similar positions, and if I get something that is not quite what I had my heart set on, I always wonder, and am sometimes not quite satisfied, and in a couple of cases have ended up with the originally desired piece down the road a ways, as well, and then have the hassle of moving the lesser desired piece. Then again, plenty of other times the thing I thought I was set on from the get-go turned out to be all wrong once I learned more and tried other stuff. Not much help, hehe, more just sayin', hey man, I get where you're at.

It does sound like a good opportunity, however my consideration here would be just what you've said about it being a very limited market - that might make it difficult for you to pass on down the road. Getting it discounted like you seem to be makes that less of a problem, but still. Sometimes I try to sleep on it a few nights and see where I am once the frenzy dissipates.

My earlier comment was probably more me trying to parent myself. It rarely works :)
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    heiney9 wrote: »
    mrbiron wrote: »

She is supportive, but has no idea what things cost. Meaning if I can spend that kind of money on a piece of audio equipment, she's going to want her exotic vacation soon......lol

Sounds exactly like my girlfriend!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    in a word, or 2 . . . Buy It!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    Buy the f'ing amp and quit wondering about it.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    dkg999 wrote: »
    Buy the f'ing amp and quit wondering about it.

I like how you think.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.