Great results from the Upgrade Company

Comments

• Dennis GardnerDennis Gardner Posts: 4,794
    edited January 2016
    Gentlemen please explain to me the very positive experience that I had with him as detailed in my posts at the beginning of this thread.
    (*did you actually read them btw??*)

Why did he a year later after the fact wish me a happy birthday on Linkedin.com?

Doesn't look to me like he was berating or abusing me.

@honestaquarian David can be extremely offputting at first.He is a bit abrasive and mouthy,but he knows WTF he talks about. I was not very receptive to his personality type at first. To be brutally honest he straight pissed me off!!

I'm out....
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 3,913
    From the other thread:
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm not saying what he does isn't a good idea, it is. My issue is the price charged for the work is ridiculous.

I've skimmed through this entire 4 pages of riveting entertainment and from an objective point of view, this seems to summarize what most others have said.

Most (if any) aren't saying you didn't hear improvement, just that the same improvement could have been realized for a much lower cost. I've seen several people tell you that if you're happy with the mods you had done then good for you. My interpretation is that people saying you got ripped off just mean that you paid more than necessary for the improvements, not that you didn't get any improvement.

Bottom line: Enjoy your system and don't worry about what others think.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • adabroadabro Posts: 203
    A quick Google search will bring up some interesting threads on this company.
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,308
    @adabro can you give a brief synopsis?
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SRS 2, SDA 2B, SDA II,SDA 1C, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9 Ebony, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
    Arguments with the owner himself, accusations of fake accounts, taped conversations regarding stolen equipment (not stolen by TUC), An A+ BBB rating, a positive review on the BBB site (that must be honestaquarian based on the descriptions).
    I did see someone who requested a refund and got it.

I'm not advising for or against TUC, just finding the threads interesting reading - similar to this thread in some ways....
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,308
    @adabro sounds like all the elements of one of those day time soaps. This one has less sex but the drama has more meat on the bone.
    2.3TL, 3.1TL, SRS 2, SDA 2B, SDA II,SDA 1C, 7B, 7C, 7 series 2, 10B, 5JR+, 5JR, 5A, 4.5, 4, RTA 11TL, RTA 8TL, RTA 8T, LSI9 Ebony, LSI7 EBONY, LSI7 CHERRY, LSIC, RTI A7, RTI A3, CSI A4, CSI A6, F/XI A4, RTI4. That's all for now.
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,368
    Would be interested in reading Darque Knight's thoughts on this one. He always does his homework... and extra credit...
  • UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,272
    adabro wrote: »
    A
    I did see someone who requested a refund and got it.

That's not possible.

NOBODY has EVER asked for a refund.

If someone ever did, the internet would explode, immediately...
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,274
    I look at this just like I look at extremely high end wire. I see value in this but I personally have to agree with what others have said about the cost. I also agree with many who think high end wire doesn't yield what it costs in performance. Some think it's well worth it. Their opinion will not change mine as I test everything I do to my system and find value in it or not.
    There is a point where you don't get the benefits from the amount of money spent.
    I'm of the opinion is that whatever I do to improve my system, if there is something I can do that will yield greater results for the same amount of money, I'm doing that.My end goal is performance not looks bragging rights or whatever some motivations are.
    This very well probably made some nice improvements on your system but was the cost worth the amount of improvements you received?
    Some could look at my system and say " You must have spent a small fortune on your wiring yet could have used that money for other improvements that might have had a greater impact on the overall performance of the system". Thats an opinion only I can agree or disagree. I can't see any point in arguing this upgrade.
    I think we all are intelligent enough to decide for ourselves IF this is something we want to do or not.
    I thank you for bringing this to our attention.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,892
    tl;dr... Too much evangelism for me. However, if the benefits of this mod are so great, wouldn't there be some OEMs out there doing this, or something similar, on their high end units? Just wondering how an entire industry can get it so wrong, but this one guy can fix it all...
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,274
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    tl;dr... Too much evangelism for me. However, if the benefits of this mod are so great, wouldn't there be some OEMs out there doing this, or something similar, on their high end units? Just wondering how an entire industry can get it so wrong, but this one guy can fix it all...
    Some OEM's are doing this but in different ways. built quality and Isolation is a very big part of a lot of higher end gear.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • @mantis I personally believe it was WELL worth it. ESPECIALLY when you take into acount all of what I went though prior to getting the upgrade.
    Again this is a VERY PERSONAL VALUE JUDGEMENT. Just like religion-which is also VERY personal-you see how quickly it becomes a lightning rod for controversy.
    Everyone has different ideas of what the best way to do smoething is. When you add to the mix a man who courts controversy (*that being David Schulte-the owner of the Upgrade Company*) it becomes EXPLOSIVE!
    He saw this thread btw
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,265
    edited January 2016
    He saw this thread btw

This might be a good opportunity for David Schulte to chime in to open up a little dialog and education. I know Nelson (Pass Labs) and Dan Wright (Modwright) both post and answer for questions on DIY forum.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,545
    He will not answer questions about his mods, he looks at even asking as "attempted theft".
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.
  • @Nightfall
    While I definitely disagree with the way that David does not like to answer questions about his upgrades. After the way that this thread has gone south I can see why he has become like that. He's been doing this for decades and his business is thriving despite the naysayers. I've been in contact with him the entire time this thread has been active
    Just look at the type of comment that @motorhead posted when I said David had seen this thread.

Really???
    Do we really need to act like that?
    We are grown men and women and we should know better.

After nearly four decades of this kind of crap David really doesn't give a F$#% anymore (*and I am quoting him directly*)
    I am at the point now where I really don't give a........ anymore either. All I was trying to do was put the word out and look at what happened to a perfectly civil thread.
    Whooda thunk such a simple. thing would generate SO MUCH CONTROVERSY❔❕❓❗❓
    Living room Home theater: Upgrade Company modified Onkyo PR-SC5509,Sunfire Cinema grand Signature 5 channel amp(1st gen),Carver TFM-45,Carver M-400a,Panasonic TC-P50ST60 50" Plasma(last gen before Plasma production stopped)Pioneer Elite DVL-91,Meridian 519 Dolby AC-3 RF Demodulator,Oppo Digital UDP-205,TiVo Bolt VOX,Nakamich BX-300,Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type VxMR cartridge,Polk SDA-SRS 3.1 TL(with RD-0198 tweeters, upgraded with Larry's rings, black hole5,an Avel-Lindberg 1000VA isolation transformer, VR3 customer crossovers and internal wiring),Polk CS-1000P(with SL-6506 tweeter),Polk Monitor 5jr(with RD-0194 tweeters),Polk RT-35i (1),Polk Mini Monitors,Polk PSW150(4)Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII Signature series,Monster Power AVS 2000 Signature Series,Various MIT,Monster,Upgrade Company and Belden interconnect,power,HDMI,Coax and Toslink Digital and speaker cables.

Bedroom 2 channel system:Integra DTM 40.4,Nakamichi BX-100,TiVo mini,Musical Fidelity X-LPS,X-PSU,Carver TFM-25,Sony KV-34XBR970(last of the widescreen tube sets before production stopped)Technics SL-1200MKII,Shure V15 Type V MR cartridge,Polk RT-55(with SL-6506 tweeters),Polk PSW-200 in plexiglass(2),Sony Playstation 3 slim.Monster Power HTPS-7000,Monster AVS-2000, PowerVarious Kimber,Audioquest and MIT interconnects and speaker cables.
    edited January 2016
    Never mind....

Post edited by adabro on
    edited January 2016
    Nothing to see here....
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,425
    honestaquarian, something good did come out of your thread. We got to see first hand the quality of the craftsmanship and what one gets for their money. So, personally I thank you for that as I now know, without any reservation that my money would be much better off spent elsewhere.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

BTW, you never did answer my question about Onkyo honoring their warranty. Do you have that in writing?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• mdaudioguymdaudioguy Posts: 4,892
    Just look at the type of comment that @motorhead posted when I said David had seen this thread.

Really???
    I'm certain that Mr Motorhead simply expressed what 99% of those who read that far were thinking.

BTW, I'm happy you're happy with your upgrade. Enjoy! :)
    7.1 - polk RTi10 x 3 (LCR) : FXi3 x 2 : RTi4 x 4 : Sunfire SDS-12 : Yamaha Aventage RX-A2040 : Adcom GFA-7500 : Squeezebox Touch : DIRECTV : Roku SE : Panasonic PT-AX200U PJ @ 120"
    5.1 - Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800 x 4 : ProCenter 1000 : Klipsch Sub-10 : Pioneer Elite SC-91: DIRECTV : LG OLED55B6P : Roku Premiere+
    Garage Duty - polk Monitor 10s : Pioneer A-717 Integrated Amp : Squeezebox Classic
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 19,953
    edited January 2016
    mdaudioguy wrote: »

Really???
    I'm certain that Mr Motorhead simply expressed what 99% of those who read that far were thinking.

BTW, I'm happy you're happy with your upgrade. Enjoy! :)

+1...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 30,872

I don't see any controversy....just common sense really. I wouldn't buy anything from anyone who didn't want to talk about the product they were selling. Disagreeing with one another is not controversy. Many just happen to disagree with the merits of the upgrade compared to the costs, you see it differently, and that's ok. It's your money, spend it as you will. All the guys are saying is.....they'd take a different route.

This doesn't have to get to be a long winded 10 page ordeal. How about we all just move on ?

HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,368
    tonyb wrote: »

I don't see any controversy....just common sense really. I wouldn't buy anything from anyone who didn't want to talk about the product they were selling. Disagreeing with one another is not controversy. Many just happen to disagree with the merits of the upgrade compared to the costs, you see it differently, and that's ok. It's your money, spend it as you will. All the guys are saying is.....they'd take a different route.

This doesn't have to get to be a long winded 10 page ordeal. How about we all just move on ?

^^^^^ perfect
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,385
    tonyb wrote: »

I disagree. Wait, what?
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    I disagree. Wait, what?

I'm offended

• Well you all can do who or whatcha like. You don't like the way that David Schulte runs his biz? Fine then don't buy anything from him. I am enjoying the fruits of my deciding to take a leap of faith a year ago and STILL reaping the benefits and hearing stuff that I either never heard before or haven't heard in a long time
    (*see my Laserdisc thread*)

Good night!

• UpstatemaxUpstatemax Posts: 2,272
    39709124.jpg
    Living room:
    Samsung PN50B860 50" Plasma : XBOX One : Roku Ultra : Oppo UDP-203 : Pioneer Elite SC-87 : APC H15 : Focal 806V mains : Focal 806V Surrounds : SVS SB2000 : SVS SB12-NSD

2Ch:
    Sonus Faber Venere S : Parasound HCA 1500A : Oppo UDP-205 : Furman Elite 15 DM i : Sony XBR 55X810C Monitor :
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,823
    I thought we were past this.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.