SDA Playlist

Comments

• I didn't read through all 11 pages, but I discovered something today while the wife was out shopping with the kids....

If you are NFL fan, Fox NFL Football sounds SPECTACULAR on the SDA's. Quite possibly the most "I am there" experience I have had with them yet.

Main: Polk SDS SRA1.2TL's, Pioneer Elite VSX-021 Stereo Pre, Ashly FET-500,

Study: Infinity Renaissance 80's, NAD 1300 Pre, Modified Hafler DH-2200, Pioneer PL-518 TT w/Shure V15, AudioSource EQOne, NAD 5100, Marantz tuner, JVC Tape Deck
  • Didn't see much rap in the mix...

Maybe something really saturated and production-heavy like Kanye's "Graduation" or Kendrick Lamar's "good kid maad city".

Different mixing styles and balances can really bring out some cool stuff in a speaker.
  • If you dig the Doors you must hear the 40th anniversary Rhino remix of LA Woman. Sounds great and a huge soundstage on SDAs
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    edited January 2015
    A few of my VINYL favorites for Rock on 1Cs:
    Supertramp - Crime of the Century
    - Supertramp - Breakfast in America
    - Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
    - Rush - 2112
    - Legs Diamond - Legs Diamond
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Jazz (VINYL)
    Al Dimeola - Elegant Gypsy
    - Steely Dan - Aja (could be rock to some)
    - Steely Dan - Gaucho
    - Dave Grusin - Discovered Again! (Sheffield Lab label)
    - Harry James & His Big Band - The King James Version (Sheffield Lab - Lab 3)
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    10cc - Original Soundtrack
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
    ZZ Top - Tres Hombres
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here ... especially the opening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond. The guitar sounds like it's right in front of me.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Jasper67
    Jasper67 Posts: 33
    Pete Townshend - All The Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes. Just rediscovered this fantastic album and recording...
  • talon300
    talon300 Posts: 5
    ZZ TOP -Leggs (Dance mix), Concrete & Steel
    Adele -many
    Dark Side of the Moon is really great
    Boston -tracks off of 3rd Stage
    Holy crap, got the wife fired up wanting to make a play list!
  • outlaw53
    outlaw53 Posts: 16
    Frankenstein from 'They Only Come Out at Night' album by Edgar Winter Group.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    outlaw53 wrote: »
    Frankenstein from 'They Only Come Out at Night' album by Edgar Winter Group.
    YUP, I said this song is AMAZING on SDA-SRS2's. That synthesizer sound comes at you then beside you then goes behind you. What an experience.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 661
    I need to get that on SACD if Available.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    Fleetwood Mac Rumors on DVD-A is incredible on my SDA's, it's so clean it's like they are standing in my living room...
  • PolkClyde
    PolkClyde Posts: 661
    That's a good Album, Rumors, I got the vinyl and Edgar Winter Group on standard CD. Both are great.
    PolkAudioClyde
  • JNinja
    JNinja Posts: 100
    RJD2 - More Than Isn't (Album)

Black Sabbath - War Pigs (song)

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Dire Straits - Communique ... wow.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    This has been the greatest thread. I stream most of my music off Spotify, so I've just been going through this thread, about 1 page a night and pulling up each song/album and listening to it on my SDA 2B. Incredible! And no extra cost to me! Great way to discover new music. Thanks everyone!
  • Rex81
    Oh, and my vote for best track on SDAs is Radiohead - Kid A, off the Kid A album. The music seems to come from behind you.
  • xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    I was curious if anyone had heard Ed Sheeran - X on vinyl on their SDA's? I was blown away at the clarity. I'm not sure if I actually know what I'm hearing some times but to me this is one of the best new albums I've heard on my 3.1's. It's a 12" 45rpm record. Not sure if that is why it sounds so good.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    I have not heard any of the 12" 45's yet. How much better can they sound over a good 33? For $50 avg. they better blow you away. Anybody out there have experience with 45 LP's?
    Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
    Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
    Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
    Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
    Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters
  • Boston's first album on CBS Half Speed Vinyl.
    Jill Scott-Gettin in the way
    Madonna-Frozen and Power of Goobye From her Ray of light album.The entire album really,but especially those two tracks.
    Whitney Houston-12" Single Whatchulookinat.-Thunderpuss Club Mix
    Karyn White-12" Single Romantic-Moonlight Mix
    Scritti Politti-Perfect Way
    Veronica-12" single Someone To Hold-Johnny Vicious Mix Show Edit
    Man Parrish-Hip Hop Bee Bop (Don't Stop)
    Michael Jackson-Human Nature and The Lady in My Life from Thriller
    Paul McCartney and Wings-Silly Love Songs
    Stephanie Mills-Putting a rush on me
    Donna Summer-Love to Love You Baby album

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,080
    gdphoto wrote: »
    I have not heard any of the 12" 45's yet. How much better can they sound over a good 33? For $50 avg. they better blow you away. Anybody out there have experience with 45 LP's?

I'm fairly certain I paid less then $30. I'd like to know what else was available in this format. Personally I was blown away.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2016
    One that amazed me the other day was Jaco Pastorious debut, and a lot of Weather Reports stuff.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Rex81
    For you jazz buffs, the single album that I've found to have the greatest SDA effect is Sonny Rollins, The Bridge. Great album anyway, meticulously recorded, but the SDA effect is crazy. You're right on stage with the guitar to your left and Sonny himself to your right. Amazing.
  • Billy Ocean-Carribean Queen.
    This was the song that showed me what the SDA's were capable of over thirty years ago! I wound up sitting and listening to the original SDA-1's for hours until they asked me to leave.
  • I have a few go to CD's to test any speakers:

1. A Decade Of Steely Dan (tracks 3, 6 and 13)
    2. Fleetwood Mac's Tusk (tracks 3, 10, 11)
    3. Kansas Left Overture (every song)
    4. Ricky Lee Jones first album
    5. James Taylor New Moonshine
  • I almost forgot the ultimate music program test for just how efficient a speaker is:

Play the opening bass line from "Starship Trooper" by YES.
    Chris Squire uses a tremolo effect on his bass and if I can't hear the trailing pulses off of that bass line, I don't buy that speaker.
  • scootr
    scootr Posts: 22
    jimclass wrote: »
    If you dig the Doors you must hear the 40th anniversary Rhino remix of LA Woman. Sounds great and a huge soundstage on SDAs

I agree, sounds better than ever!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Tool "Lateralus" I'm sure that's been posted in here somewhere already but its worth restating.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scootr
    scootr Posts: 22
    Supertramp "Brother where you bound". I love several Supertramp LP's, I rate this up there w/COTC. It's now my show-off LP. It has some parts that will make you jump if you have some volume, as it should be!