What SDA to buy

Options
polk500
polk500 Posts: 1,171
edited December 2015 in Vintage Speakers
My mission for audio in 2016 is to dive into the black hole known as SDA and all that comes with it.

The first problem is what one to buy? As I've been looking on the internet I realized that there is a lot of SDA Models out there and different variations of each and the pricing is all over the scale.

Then there's the Mod's that come with it, VR3 has for sale the Abbot crossover modifications while they look stunning especially with the window and blue lights unfortunately at this time they are beyond my means ( I'm have one daughter and the wife in University and the other one going in two years so money is a bit tight)

So I will be doing the Mod's myself as a Carpenter by trade refinishing or replacing parts of the cabinets, grills, rings is going to be fun, Electronics well I know the basics and look forward to learning more.

So for you owners and modder are you satisfied with the ones you have if not what Model do you have would you have got or have gotten?

Thanks
Roger

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I own 2.3TLS, 2B studios, and a pair of CRS+s the later two will get the TL treatment I say look for a pair you can TL with the RDO 198s but if they rarely come available in your area get any if you can. It's weird I had 4 pair of SDA'S at one time.

I looked frantically for over a year to find none and all of a sudden they were selling like crazy besides the 4 I owned, I have passed on a pair of 2.3 non tls, another pair of CRs+s and recently a pair of the older SDA 2s with two tweeters was available not sure if those sold or not the others didn't hang around long but the ones with two tweeters were on Craigslist for over 2 months not sure if the guy was able to sell them or not he was asking two much for them. Good luck in your search, you got a pair of Gimpods boards to use B)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I have a pair of 3.1TL's that I found on eBay
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have a pair of 2.3's in FL that i can save you some money on. They look and sound great. All mods are done. VR3 xovers, 194's,larrys rings, re veneered ,dyna matted etc...gas is cheap!!!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there is a pair of 1.2 on cannuck audio mart. But the guy wants 3 grand :neutral:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there is a pair of 1.2 on cannuck audio mart. But the guy wants 3 grand :neutral:

Scratch that just checked and they are gone. Sure is a lot of RTIA 9's on there!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options

Scratch that just checked and they are gone. Sure is a lot of RTIA 9's on there!

Yeah scalpers that are buying them up on that sale you guys have up there reselling them for more money to the dummies ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    I was very lucky to get my '87 2Bs from a desperate house wife's moving sale for $50. I did do all the conventional mods myself w/ the the exception of the x-overs which went to Trey @VR-3 at that time,then converted the blade/blade i/c to the Neutrik-Speakon connectors out to Dave which made a world of difference. SDAs are a finicky speaker to place which I don't think anyone has brought up to you yet. The spacing must be front firing w/ a spread no more than 8/10' w/ no angle or tow in or out. Also how big is your room,2Bs are the little guys of the bunch and all the other models are wider way taller and a lot heavier.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,053
    Options
    I have a pair of 2.3's in FL that i can save you some money on. They look and sound great. All mods are done. VR3 xovers, 194's,larrys rings, re veneered ,dyna matted etc...gas is cheap!!!

We have a winner!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Whatever you end up buying, make sure it's 4th or 5th generation, so your new boards will be compatible.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • polk500
    Options

Yes gas is cheap but Fl is along ways away from me. But I will PM you later as I'm certainly interested. Thanks
    nbrowser wrote: »
    SDA is Canada is rare, right now there's a guy trying to sell a pair in my area, SDA 2s twin driver single SL2000...for $750, I think he's off his rocker but...when my triple driver SDA2 came up for sale I jumped due to the price...cost me more to send money off for the rings but I digress...

Seems like the more desirable ones are 2.3TL or 3.1TL and the ever present 1.2 series for the big boys.

You are so right Ken they are rare, this is not my first time looking but I'm getting a set of the big one this time even if I take a road trip down south.
    I was very lucky to get my '87 2Bs from a desperate house wife's moving sale for $50. I did do all the conventional mods myself w/ the the exception of the x-overs which went to Trey @VR-3 at that time,then converted the blade/blade i/c to the Neutrik-Speakon connectors out to Dave which made a world of difference. SDAs are a finicky speaker to place which I don't think anyone has brought up to you yet. The spacing must be front firing w/ a spread no more than 8/10' w/ no angle or tow in or out. Also how big is your room,2Bs are the little guys of the bunch and all the other models are wider way taller and a lot heavier.

The room is 14 X 12 X 8' ceiling, It's a spare bedroom that I'm turning into a dedicated two channel room.
    Whatever you end up buying, make sure it's 4th or 5th generation, so your new boards will be compatible.

Thanks I will keep that in mind.

Cheers
  • westmassguy
    Options
    2Bs, 1Cs, SRS2s (pin/blade), or even CRS+s will be plenty for that size room
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • polk500
    Options
    Just put an offer in on a pair of SDA 1c for $550 he have them listed for $650 will see if he accepts it.

Cheers

su7zv66jwvkf.jpeg
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    polk500 wrote: »
    Just put an offer in on a pair of SDA 1c for $550 he have them listed for $650 will see if he accepts it.

Cheers

su7zv66jwvkf.jpeg

Are these 1C's or 1B's ?

• westmassguy
    Options
    According to the handbook, there was a studio version, with black ash vinyl, but also early 1Cs used 1B cabinets, and bl/bl interconnects.
    Best to verify what the innards look like.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • polk500
    Options
    Still waiting for the seller to reply to my second offer. If he accepted I will see if I can get more details?

Cheers
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    If they're brown, they're probably 1Bs.

Pull any one of the mid-woofers (inspecting more than one is better to assure that all the drivers are proper.) If you remove a mid-woofer and it's a 6509, you're looking at 1B. If it's a 6510 or 6511, it's a 1C.
  • scootr
    scootr Posts: 22
    Options
    Don't look my 1c's, I don't have the facia board at bottom, and the Oak panels top and bottom are about 1/8" inch larger than side panels. But I hear Polk didn't waste anything, used up inventory. Best to do as suggested, pull drivers. Then u will know what year they made!
  • chandler9a
    Options
    Polk500, did you end up getting the SDA's you were looking at?
    Where are you located? I may be able to help you out as we tend to get these coming up in my area often and I can let you know if they are worth the drive or not.

• honestaquarian
    Options
    I used to own a pair that looked just like those. They're SDA-1B's
  • polk500
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not yet still looking, It's kinda of tough when you live in the frozen north shipping is crazy. I'm driving down south in May to LA, I will start looking in April and hopefully can score a set of the big boys then...

Cheers
    Post edited by polk500 on
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,497
    Options
    Swing over to Denver area. Thats Polk country there :)
    Randy/Maine
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    I've kept my eyes peeled and there is nothing up here! There are even lots of wanted ads looking for vintage polks.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

What can I say, we know what fun and musical sounds like. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • polk500
    Options
    chandler9a wrote: »
    Where are you located? I may be able to help you out as we tend to get these coming up in my area often and I can let you know if they are worth the drive or not.

Sorry chandler I didn't catch your question. North West Alberta, Canada: AKA the frozen wastelands..... Of audio hell

Cheers
  • chandler9a
    Options
    Ah okay, I'm on the East Coast, U.S. so I guess that would be quite a trip. Keep us posted with questions when you do find a potential pair, we can certainly help with advice. Good luck
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi as a 1b owner myself [or1c I haven't got a around to removing a driver yet] In regards to buying them as westmass pointed out to me recently the 1b cannot be altered to use momo block amps where as the early model 1c using the iso. transformer can,If that's a consideration explain to the seller and ask to remove a driver for confirmation
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    notified wrote: »
    the 1b cannot be altered to use momo block amps where as the early model 1c using the iso. transformer can,If that's a consideration explain to the seller and ask to remove a driver for confirmation
    Not exactly. ANY 1C can be made compatible with an isolation transformer that allows non-common-ground amplifiers to be used.

Some 1Cs require a simple wiring modification, others are plug-and-play if you have the Polk isolation transformer. All of them need mods to use the aftermarket, larger isolation transformer--which is recommended by those who've tried both the Polk transformer and the aftermarket one.
  • notified
    notified Posts: 175
    edited January 2016
    Options
    My Bad! Should have extended that sentence to read: "where as the [early 1c] when using the iso. transformer can be used with mono blocks." [discussed in relation to the 1b early 1c twin physical looks]
  • polk500
    Options
    polk500 wrote: »
    chandler9a wrote: »

Sorry chandler I didn't catch your question. North West Alberta, Canada: AKA the frozen wastelands..... Of audio hell

Cheers
    kg70acn8da32.jpeg
    2d40ssmmufgl.jpeg

So far north the sun barely makes it a above the horizon this is at 1:30 pm.

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited January 2016
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »

What happened to "Mystery", that guy could smell vintage Polks as soon as they crossed into Colorado and then haggle to get the BEST price on them! That's who you need in your corner!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]