Cold Weather - Base Layer

Options
Good Morning Gents...and Occasional Lady

I've got a question in regards to cold weather clothing that i'd like to pick your brain about.
I've done the Long John route for as long as i can remember but with all this new "tech", what is the best AFFORDABLE base layer that you can buy. Under Armour may be the "best" but i can't afford to buy 5 shirts and 5 pants to get me through the week without taking out a loan. Or i guess i could do laundry every 2 days..............

Being a construction supervisor that hates the trailer, i spend most of my time outside, rain, sun, snow, FIRE!... Temps in New England can drop down to -30F+ with windchill and where i am currently on the ocean, last year, we had -40F for almost 2 weeks. Those are the extremes and we are usually talking about 0F-20F for the norm.

What have you found that works and wont break the bank?
Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!

Comments

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    I just remember....cotten is rotten. My wife found our scouts some nice REI stuff on sale at one point.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Having been in the same type of work, what worked for me was basic thermal stuff from any department store, including thermal socks. Then you just layer the clothes on top because you can always remove a layer if your too warm. Always have some dry clothes in the trunk, ya never know. Thermal, waterproof boots is a must have.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I define "basic thermal" as heavy cotton....no bueno!
    You, being from the "break wind city" (or something to that effect) should know that when it blows, your balls knows. Put THAT on a tshirt! :D
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    For the money, the best I have found is Duofold Midweight stuff, it's two layer cotton/poly blend - so it's not perfect ultra tech, but they wear like iron, have a nice "hand" (fabric feel) and don't have the body odor retention issues of pure polypro.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    The best base layer I ever had is a set made of polypropolene that were made for the military. I could wear these and nothing else and be fine in temps down to the teens. Maybe try a surplus store?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Ha, no basic thermal stuff isn't just cotton. If you really want the good stuff though, it's going to cost a bid more. Go to any of your local hunting, outdoors type stores like a Cabela for the good stuff.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    Options
    We have the usual Bass Pro, Cabelas, Dicks but i would have to buy a bunch and "try them out" and return what i don't like. I hate shopping for clothes because i'm a guy.

So the main goal is, I don't want to fall for the marketing/logo....
    Bang for the buck. Or maybe we just stick it out with good ol' long john cotton and freeze my sack off.

Aside from that, i have all Carhartt jackets, flannel lined pants, gloves, hats, etc...
    Those are my insulating and top. Just need to the base.

Because you know i'm all about that base, bout that base.....
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    Carhartt is quality schitt. Carhartt or leather, never mind the weather as they say. Have the extreme jacket and hood and can only wear it during the absolute coldest days around here!

The military stuff (cost-wise) is a good suggestion if you need to buy five tops and bottoms. Price wise that will be hard to beat I imagine!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mrbiron
    edited January 2016
    Options
    If you type in Military Thermals into google, you get a thousand different products.
    What am i looking for exactly?

Brand?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Duofold as well, but they seem to have discontinued the tall versions in the line I like, which I prefer due to shrinkage, so I had to look for something new.

With any of this base layer stuff, you have to be mindful of the activity level. It makes a difference in which line you choose. High activity gear is more wicking less insulating. I've noticed that if I wear this stuff with lower activity level, it can make me feel cold, so I only use that if I'm out riding or something. I like the dual layer stuff with a wicking layer and an insulating layer, as MrB mentions. The stuff I like best usually has merino wool in it. Stuff's amazing. I don't get too hot wearing it; very temperature regulating. Good for socks too. Wigwam makes some nice merino blend ones. Tried the People Socks - pass.

Regarding base layers, this year I'm trying the Coldpruf stuff. I like the Platinum line so far. Tails of the tops are longer in the back than on the front so it doesn't pull out if you're doing active stuff.

There's much more advanced stuff than this available, but I like to have a few sets so I try to find something relatively affordable.

Another consideration in the system is a breathable windproofing layer.
    I disabled signatures.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    The best base layer I ever had is a set made of polypropolene that were made for the military. I could wear these and nothing else and be fine in temps down to the teens. Maybe try a surplus store?

+1 @muncybob

Polyprop, blue jeans and Carhartt coveralls (or overalls and coat) saved my bacon for 17 years when I was a much younger man. The moisture wicking, while retaining the heat layer next to the skin, was the key. 5 buckle galoshes over good work boots also kept the body heat in the feet. If your feet get cold, it's game over for staying warm IMHO. The guys hovering around the fire barrel liked to laugh at my galoshes (while their feet were freezing). :)
  • MrBuhl
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @mrbiron I would think you'd want the latest and greatest - E.C.W.C.S. Gen III. I always find midweight base layers to be the sweet spot between warmth and bulk, but they produced lightweight, midweight, and heavyweight in this line I believe.

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• mrbiron
    Options
    http://www.cabelas.com/category/Mens-Heavyweight-Base-Layer-Tops/104036580.uts

I think i'm going to start here....
    The military grade websites i went on did not have any reviews. At least this gives me some sort of idea. Also, there are items in the more desirable $$ range...
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys. I just hit the refresh after i sent ^^^^this post and missed that.

Poly seems to be the more highly touted but i may be reading the wrong things.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I used a layer of silk under my duofold themals and then the heavy stuff. The idea is not to sweat.

Silk socks underneath heavy thermal socks... boots not too tight. If your feet get cold you are done.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Costco has some decent stuff for cheap... I wear it all the time.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    I used a layer of silk under my duofold themals and then the heavy stuff. The idea is not to sweat.

Silk socks underneath heavy thermal socks... boots not too tight. If your feet get cold you are done.
    Never tried the silk socks but my father used to preach nylon socks in both boots as well as our hockey skates.

This Duofold stuff looks cheap, has been mentioned here a couple times and there are several reviews. I shall check that out as well. See, i've always layered until i hit to point of Randy from a Christmas Story but it makes lumbering around the site far more cumbersome. Less is more!
  • msg
    Options
    Haha, Randy.
    yeah, that's another thing to consider, like Mike mentioned - circulation.

Funny, yeah, when I was in the Air Force we used to have to wear nylon socks under our boot socks. That kinda stuck with me ever since.
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,959
    Options
    Two words..... wool socks.
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    Options
    Duofold is very good stuff, with different material weights for differing levels of activity. I refuse to pay full price for anything, pretty much all my outdoor clothing comes from Sierra Trading Post. Check out their site (sierratradingpost.com) and sign up for their Deal Flyer emails, I get two a day with different sales.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • tonyb
    Options

+1 @muncybob

Polyprop, blue jeans and Carhartt coveralls (or overalls and coat) saved my bacon for 17 years when I was a much younger man. The moisture wicking, while retaining the heat layer next to the skin, was the key. 5 buckle galoshes over good work boots also kept the body heat in the feet. If your feet get cold, it's game over for staying warm IMHO. The guys hovering around the fire barrel liked to laugh at my galoshes (while their feet were freezing). :)

Straight up pal, once the feet get cold, game over. Never liked the big buckle clod hoppers, always went for waterproof boots and in some cases, chest high waders you use for fishing when I had to actually get in the water in the middle of winter.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Well, i ordered a Duofold double layer base layer :/ .....last night. Unfortunately, i'm always a day late dollar short. It was 3 degrees when i got up (now 8) and -11 temp with wind chill.

Time to break out the jacket!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options

Yup, i still have mine. Work great, but i rarely wear em. If its colder than piss and i have to shovel snow, ill throw em on. Also have my old Materhorns. Great boots!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,973
    Options
    I wear mine frequently in colder weather. It will take me about 45 minutes to do the barn chores regardless of the temps and my torso/legs never get cold. My hands and feet can be a different story though. To keep my feet from getting clammy I wear my hiking sock liners for the wicking and wool or wool blend socks...seems to do the trick most of the time. I have yet to find any hand protection to keep me totally comfortable and still be able to use my hands for work.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • msg
    edited January 2016
    Options
    you might try nomex flight gloves if you haven't yet. look for the real milspec ones though, not the garbage imports. the milspec ones are heavier with good leather. the imports - well, I don't know what they're made of, but use some crummy thin skin of some sort.

other options are gloves for cycling, or some other kind of liner/shell combo with minimal bulk. I understand the need for dexterity, though. gloves are a tough one.

I was also just thinking, maybe a thin wicking/mild insulating liner and a size up on a regular, breathable back work glove? Heck man, maybe even just try Northern Tools or Harbor Freight to see what they have for cheap work gloves, just to experiment with the 2-layer thing.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Ask PFB where the best place to buy skinny jeans. And start there. :D
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Wouldn't the simpler solution be....just move your construction trailer to a warmer climate ? ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Wouldn't the simpler solution be....just move your construction trailer to a warmer climate ? ;)

Tele-commute? I suppose we could do something like that. An even simpler solution would be to never leave the trailer but then the problems arise. When the "zoo keeper" is away, the "animals" run rampant.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Tele-commute? I suppose we could do something like that. An even simpler solution would be to never leave the trailer but then the problems arise. When the "zoo keeper" is away, the "animals" run rampant.

Hey now... calling yourself a an animal isnt good for your self esteem. :wink:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I spent a year and a half in Alaska with the USAF and they taught the now universal "layering" technique. Nylon base, then cotton, then wool. I don't think polyprop was around in the mid-70's.

The idea was to keep the moisture off your skin when it wicks through the nylon to the cotton and wool keeps you warm even when it's wet.