Does Size Matter ?

Options
She may think so :) But my little CRS+'s dont let me down. Dont let their size fool ya. Ive been wailing on these things this evening while the wifey is out & my ears give up. If your ever wondering about their size STOP right there. Amazing
Randy/Maine

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I had a good day yesterday with my CRS+'s :) each day I been using a different set of speakers but the CRS with the SDA effect sure make a wonderful listening session!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Glad you're digging them Randy. Those Caps are burned-in, but the new tweeters need some hours on them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,265
    Options
    I love my CRS+. They sound great but I always go back to my 2Bs. I miss the bigger passives of the 2Bs. So for me I guess size does matter. If I had more room I would have some SDAs bigger than the 2Bs.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,488
    Options
    David i havent done anything yet to them. Maybe in week or two. Too busy & cr1000 needs new lights is next project up-then speakers... Enjoyed them last night trying to see what they would take. More than my ears. Im a wuss
    Randy/Maine
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    I think it was our very own F1NUT who coined the phrase, "No replacement for displacement" and RT1 who said, "go big or go home".

I tend to agree with those 2.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,265
    Options
    When I was into drag racing we use to say the only replacement for cubic inches is cubic money. That might apply equally well in this hobby too. :)
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I had to downsize to a pair of CRS+ 25 years ago because I moved to a smaller place.I loved them and miss them. Yes I have some bigger ones now,but if someone likes smaller speakers,good on them. They made them because not everyone has the room and/or the WAF for the big'uns.
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    I have heard all over this forum how good the CRS are. I will at some point get me some, Polk made a good decision in building a smallish SDA. Not everyone has room for the big uns. Polk on and Happy New Year!!!
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• boston1450
    Options
    Same back to you Randy.. Ive owned these for a couple of years & they have never let me down. They took over the 7's spot on Marantz 52b & cr2040 & now the Carver & they just sound great. I cant wait to start the upgrade & bring them to a different level. Cant wait to hear the 198's in them. I dropped a pair of 198's in 15tl & what a difference those tweets made. Didnt think id notice difference. I was very wrong...Never really compared 198-194's side by side-even though i have both. I may try one cabinet first & listen un-corded to hear & compare :)
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You can plug the IC in, won't hurt anything.
    BTW, got the boards cut for your dampeners.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    Options
    Thanks David. Look forward to installing them. I will probably be yelling to you on a bunch of things coming up.
    Randy/Maine
  • westmassguy
    Options
    You won't be the first, that's for sure
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    Options

boston1450 wrote: »
    Same back to you Randy.. Ive owned these for a couple of years & they have never let me down. They took over the 7's spot on Marantz 52b & cr2040 & now the Carver & they just sound great. I cant wait to start the upgrade & bring them to a different level. Cant wait to hear the 198's in them. I dropped a pair of 198's in 15tl & what a difference those tweets made. Didnt think id notice difference. I was very wrong...Never really compared 198-194's side by side-even though i have both. I may try one cabinet first & listen un-corded to hear & compare :)

When I switched from the SL2000 to the RD0-198 tweeters and TL mod to my 2bs wowzy, wowzy, now all I need is a Parasound amp and I am golden.

Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    Options
    Love my CRS+ speakers got everything I need to TL them but gimpods boards and caps and resistors oh and probably those dampening boards as they take the place of using black hole 5 correct? I listen to them as they are stock and they still sound good can't wait to get them done, along with my 2B's. I'm curious as to how your project goes so keep us informed. When I got my 2.3tls off Ryan the difference between the RDO 198s and the SL 2000s is night and day.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • boston1450
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I will. I'll post pictures & everything when i begin. Between work-tired-wife-daughter-other projects its crazy trying to squeeze in anything. Now i gotta look for snake. Grandkids decided to flush any/all items down the john. Awwwww wtf next
    Randy/Maine
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    I'd like to try the CRS just for fun. I started with 2Bs, then went up to the original SRS. Nope. Too big for my room. The sound was overpowering. I actually preferred the 2B. So then I tried the SRS 2. Ah, just right. The bigger SDAs have the extra impact and room filling ability that the SDA 2B just can't quite compete with. So I would say that size does matter, but you need to match your room. You can have too much of a good thing.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    I've found that the size of the listening space compared to the size of the speaker will change how the speaker sounds in the space. My 3.1TLs move a lot of air in my living room, and my 7's moved a lot of air in my small listening room too!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    If she ever says size doesn't matter.
    Then you have a very kind woman.
    But onto speakers.
    I am listening to 3.1tls and they are a perfect match for my living room.
    But I also have a set of SRT's
    And they are just too much for any room in my house.
    So I am shopping for a bigger house.
  • westmassguy
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    Signature material right there :)
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • RandyCroissant
    Options
    oldmodman wrote: »
    If she ever says size doesn't matter.
    Then you have a very kind woman.
    But onto speakers.
    I am listening to 3.1tls and they are a perfect match for my living room.
    But I also have a set of SRT's

I like that statement. So don't down size your speakers up size your house.
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• harry398
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I think it was our very own F1NUT who coined the phrase, "No replacement for displacement" and RT1 who said, "go big or go home".

I tend to agree with those 2.

I agree as well. I have a set of Monitor 4 here, and a set of monitor 10's.
    no comparison, in my opinion.

the richer the music, the more this is evident.

I am glad i found this website.