Using a DAC with a Android Tablet

EndersShadow
EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
edited December 2015 in Going Digital
So I've got a Dell Venue tablet (which I'm LOVING LOVING LOVING) that I won in a karma (thanks @Irrenhaus ).

I'm looking to basically connect this device to a USB DAC/headphone amp combo for work. Now to do that I need to get the audio out via its Micro USB port. So, I'm looking to see how easy (or not) it is to do that.

Main goal would be Pandora or Spotify to some headphones. I know its not going to be TOP NOTCH quality, but I dont need that, just a better headphone amp than the stock tablet as well as a better DAC than whats there. No DSD, no HighRez, just normal streaming and maybe some 16/44.1 FLAC loaded onto a SD card. I'm running Android 4.4.4 commonly known as Kit-Kat. But I'm not sure if the OS supports that or how to set it up.

Any links or suggestions welcome.
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Lollipop(5.0) is the first to natively support audio via usb. However, if you root it & install CyanogenMod v11 I think that will get you going. There's also the audio recorder pro app, but I don't think that will help you with Pandora or Spotify. FWIW, I waited until Lollipop came out to go down this route so I have no direct experience with the other options I mentioned. With Lollipop, it's plug n' play.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,525
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Lollipop(5.0) is the first to natively support audio via usb. However, if you root it & install CyanogenMod v11 I think that will get you going. There's also the audio recorder pro app, but I don't think that will help you with Pandora or Spotify. FWIW, I waited until Lollipop came out to go down this route so I have no direct experience with the other options I mentioned. With Lollipop, it's plug n' play.

Yeah, if there is a somewhat easy way to make it work, I will. Otherwise I will just keep using my blutooth headphones at work with this.

GREAT tablet and I love it for just a internet machine and some basic music app stuff. Just looking to see if its easy to do or not.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    So I've got a Dell Venue tablet (which I'm LOVING LOVING LOVING) that I won in a karma (thanks @Irrenhaus ).

I'm looking to basically connect this device to a USB DAC/headphone amp combo for work. Now to do that I need to get the audio out via its Micro USB port. So, I'm looking to see how easy (or not) it is to do that.

Main goal would be Pandora or Spotify to some headphones. I know its not going to be TOP NOTCH quality, but I dont need that, just a better headphone amp than the stock tablet as well as a better DAC than whats there. No DSD, no HighRez, just normal streaming and maybe some 16/44.1 FLAC loaded onto a SD card. I'm running Android 4.4.4 commonly known as Kit-Kat. But I'm not sure if the OS supports that or how to set it up.

Any links or suggestions welcome.

Your welcome.

you may want to use an USB OTG cable. I that use on my phone to connect to the FiiO amp/dac.
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Right now I have my old sony experia tablet hooked to a mcintosh dac via the usb port on the cradle. I never intalled any software and it just worked, have headphones hooked up and its great for sittin next to the bed. I like it for finding new music when I lay down and chill.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    Right now I have my old sony experia tablet hooked to a mcintosh dac via the usb port on the cradle. I never intalled any software and it just worked, have headphones hooked up and its great for sittin next to the bed. I like it for finding new music when I lay down and chill.

Is that the one you posted the pic of you sitting on the throne?
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Lmao, yes thats the tablet. Ken I bet you added that picture to your spank collection. PS...thanks for the Christmas card you sent, I really miss you too!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    Lmao, yes thats the tablet. Ken I bet you added that picture to your spank collection. PS...thanks for the Christmas card you sent, I really miss you too!

I'll withhold my comment. You can be an **** if you want to. You weren't missed BTW...