CPAP - anyone use one?

Options
Terrible... My wife convinced my doctor that I needed one.

So now I just picked up this machine.

Do you like your cpap and does it help you?

Which mask did you choose? The full mask? Nasal mask? Or the nostril one?

Not sure which one I like...

I know I sure as heck don't like knowing that I have a cpap.

33 years old with a cpap.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    Options
    Nasal mask for me, defiantly helped me....and my wife lol
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,524
    Options
    hoosier21 wrote: »
    Nasal mask for me, defiantly helped me....and my wife lol

I got the nasal and the nose prong one... Lol
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,625
    Options
    Joey, didn't you say your wife was none too happy about the Boulder purchase?

u4auv.jpg

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Nasal mask here.
    Randomly stopping breathing 45 times in one hour is much more scary than a CPAP is annoying. ;)

I travel without mine and I know when I haven't used it as I typically end up with a low grade headache for the rest of the day and have a much harder time concentrating on tasks throughout the day.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    It's such a soft call on mine... I think
    I stopped breathing breathing only a handful of times.

Bah... Stupid machine
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I'll get you for this upstate
  • george daniel
    Options
    To the op,,what are you pressure settings?
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Joey_V
    Options
    To the op,,what are you pressure settings?

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,488
    Options
    Been using one for 8 years. Full headgear-cushion nasal. Hated it in begining & wouldnt be without it now. Have 2 -- 1new one (ResMed) on bed stand & 1 travel one (Resperonics or something like that) in travel bag i use in truck sleeper or hotel. Best thing since slice bread was invented
    Randy/Maine
  • george daniel
    Options
    With a pressure of 4 cmH20,, I would suggest whichever mask is more comfortable for you,, as your pressure is low compared to some of the settings that I used to work with.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Can't offer you any suggestions Joey, but I should probably get one myself but I'm hesitant. My x-wife and current one have always told me I stop breathing at times while sleeping.

I just tell her that's the point I'm arguing with God, " ...But I still have sh@t to do." I figure sooner or later he'll win that argument, mask or not. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    (ResMed) on bed stand & 1 travel one (Resperonics or something like that)

Respironics is a Pittsburg area Medical company. It was bought by Philips several years ago, and I know a lot of jobs were eventually transferred to other locations (Andover, MA being one of them). I developed a medical device for Infant phototherapy for them several years ago. That was my previous life though. Now I do audio electronics. Yippee!

• george daniel
    Options
    The resumed Quattro is a nice selection of masks
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Know a lot of people "younger" than I who use them. They were ALL diagnosed with sleep apnea after taking the overnight test. I took the test myself, and they booted me OUT. You're OK. But I still snore like a Rhino, or so my wife says!

What I don't understand is what your "wife" has to do with this. Either you've taken the test and read positive or not, no?

In any case, most of those who do use one have adapted to it.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,909
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    What I don't understand is what your "wife" has to do with this. Either you've taken the test and read positive or not, no?

Oh....maybe the wife wants them around long enough to collect the insurance money ? lol

My wife, I think is using it as an excuse as to why I wake up with hand prints around my neck.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    My wife, I think is using it as an excuse as to why I wake up with hand prints around my neck.

LMAO! :p
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Know a lot of people "younger" than I who use them. They were ALL diagnosed with sleep apnea after taking the overnight test. I took the test myself, and they booted me OUT. You're OK. But I still snore like a Rhino, or so my wife says!

It's a spectrum. You can have 10 apneic episodes in 1 night and test positive. Or 100 and test positive.

Mine was so borderline, the doctor was like... Ehhh...

• Joey_V
    edited December 2015
    Options

Oh....maybe the wife wants them around long enough to collect the insurance money ? lol

So one time I woke up having probably aspirated on my own spit... Lol. For some reason is honestly could not inspire. So weird.

My wife started to pat my back and then maybe 5 or 10 seconds later I was able to breathe. It was the weirdest thing.

Keep in mind I'm 33yo, I work out and run 2 miles 3x per week. Not obese or fat. Maybe not prime like I was in college or med school and can no longer bench 100lb dumbells... But still decent.

So yeah... After I got to breathing again, I said it felt like the closest to death that I've felt.

Then I joked... All she had to do was plug my nostril for a few more seconds and I probably would've been a goner.

She would've been rich with my life insurance.

Lol...

I told her that she was so close hahahaha
  • Joey_V
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Been using one for 8 years. Full headgear-cushion nasal. Hated it in begining & wouldnt be without it now. Have 2 -- 1new one (ResMed) on bed stand & 1 travel one (Resperonics or something like that) in travel bag i use in truck sleeper or hotel. Best thing since slice bread was invented

Dude I just completed my first night on the cpap.

Ridiculous.

I feel like a machine. Worked out and ran and lifted. Did some errands and got lunch. I'm like running on max.

I hadn't yawned once yet.

By now I'd be yawning.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Guys,,just in case you did not know,,there is more than one form of apnea,,,there is obstructive,,known as OSA,,then there is central,,to dispell a myth,,you don't have to be short ,fat,,or large necked to suffer from it.However,,the side effects from it can be serious if left untreated. Think about that the next time you hop a plane,,does the pilot have apnea,,hope he or she wore their CPAP last night.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,488
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I fought with my doctor & after 2 months i told them to come pick up the gear. The tech showed up & sat down & talked to me. He was pretty cool young guy & he asked me to give it another try one more time. I said i would. I hated it. Got tangled up around my head & strap on face pizzed me off. Well that night i tried again & woke up the next day & felt best i have in years. Havent been without it since. I took nap once & woke up & felt terrible. Now i know whats best for me.. This is my story & others may very. I use to be in good shape 5'8 260lbs & now at almost 52 220lbs & still work out but not like i use to. Stocky built with thick neck. That might have reason but in high school i snored BAD & was 190 skinny for my build
    Randy/Maine
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »

It's a spectrum. You can have 10 apneic episodes in 1 night and test positive. Or 100 and test positive.

Mine was so borderline, the doctor was like... Ehhh...

Got it, that makes sense. At 33 you are still pretty young in my book. I don't think I really started to feel "any" noticeable physical decline till my early to mid-forties and even then it was a gradual slope, don't sell yourself short!

Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I've been using one for almost a year now. I was averaging 78 episodes. I'm far better rested on 6 hours of sleep. A big plus has been that my GERD quickly and permanently disappeared.
    It takes a few nights to get used to it (full nose mask), buy a new pillow to help with the adjustment period.
    Post edited by markmarc on
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • george daniel
    Options
    Generally an AHI of 5 or less per hour is classified as mild,,that translates to 5 apnea/ hypopnea of 5 per hour.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

So one time I woke up having probably aspirated on my own spit... Lol. For some reason is honestly could not inspire. So weird.

My wife started to pat my back and then maybe 5 or 10 seconds later I was able to breathe. It was the weirdest thing.

Keep in mind I'm 33yo, I work out and run 2 miles 3x per week. Not obese or fat. Maybe not prime like I was in college or med school and can no longer bench 100lb dumbells... But still decent.

So yeah... After I got to breathing again, I said it felt like the closest to death that I've felt.

Then I joked... All she had to do was plug my nostril for a few more seconds and I probably would've been a goner.

Lol...

Bench 100lb dumbbell. I call bs. You do 75 dinner is on me.. Anywhere in Dallas. Ha

halen

• Joey_V
    Options
    halen wrote: »

Lol...

Bench 100lb dumbbell. I call bs. You do 75 dinner is on me.. Anywhere in Dallas. Ha

halen

Halen bro - I'll take your dinner.

100 was my 3rd set weight.

We would start at 80 then 90 then 100 dumbells on each hand. My other filipino friend did 100 10x then 110 then 120 at 2-3x. I always lagged behind as he was just too strong. That was back like a decade ago... lol.

Elbow to 90 deg, arms out, but would always need a spotter nearby. Getting the dumbells from the rack to the floor then on top of your thighs was hard enough. This was when I weighed like 160.

Good ol' days. I bet I would not be able to do 75 dumbells nowadays without a good spot.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2015
    Options
    halen wrote: »

Lol...

halen

Next time I go to the gym, I will see if I can still do 75. I don't think it should be too hard only that I havent done dumbells in probably 6 years since I don't work out with a buddy anymore. You need a spotter with dumbells... you cant push yourself without one.

But I'm 95% sure I can easily get 75s up. And you'll owe me dinner, and I'm going to take your wallet for a spin.