Anyone on the forum have a Dodd MLP?

BlueMDPicker
BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
edited November 2013 in 2 Channel Audio
If so, I need some voltage measurements for the external PS. My PS has failed and I want to build something to replace it. Thanks!

BTW - tried Gary for the info but that didn't produce results.
Post edited by BlueMDPicker on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited November 2013
    I know that Tom(trietz) has one--pm him--he knows his way around with a vm.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited November 2013
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    I know that Tom(trietz) has one--pm him--he knows his way around with a vm.

Thanks George. Will do. Just trying to determine what voltages Gary was delivering with the PS.
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited November 2013
    marvda1 wrote: »

Thanks for the link! Hope all goes well with his health issues.
  • *Bump*

I'd like to try to get this preamp operational again. So, asking if anyone here who owns an MLP, and is comfortable with a VOM, could get voltage readings from the wiring exiting the power supply board. Thanks!

m5fz987ebymv.jpg
    vc8v6qj2k4jw.jpg
  • I will call Tom,, he has one that I sold him,,and he knows his way around with a vm
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Hey George, he doesn't need a vm. Just a shot of his facial expressions as he touches stuff will tell us if it's hi or low..lol
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Could not resist Richx1hqxi30w1ha.jpg
    yakvd3j7dwt9.jpg
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Could not resist Rich

OUCH! I remember this! Oh, the horror!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    x0swxbgbjdmk.jpg

Is this Rich ??
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Tom called me after this happened.
    It was like he was in denial. Shock.
    Nearly catatonic.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Wow, I knew I spent some time off of the forum but I missed this how? Mike, I'd be glad to help you. What are you interested in finding out?

That photo hurts still. *sighs*

BUT it did get push me to get the speakers that I have now. The crossover upgrades for them should be done soon. *prays*

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Hi Tom,

With no schematic available, the path I'm leaning toward is an entirely new power supply. It would be great to know what the external transformer tap voltages are. And, I'm interested in the voltage readings on the following points on the internal power supply/regulation board (left to right) pictured below:

Red/Black
    Orange/Orange
    Red/Red
    White/White
    Black
    Red/Red
    Blue twisted pair
    Red twisted pair

vc8v6qj2k4jw.jpg
  • treitz3
    I take it that this board resides in the main unit and not the power supply?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Tom,

Yes, it's the upper right hand board in this full chassis view.

m5fz987ebymv.jpg
  • megasat16
    megasat16 Posts: 3,521
    Blue,

Make sure you discharge those Filter caps before you touch on the board. I have some not so fond memory of letting the 250V DC pass trough my hand a few times I forgot to do that. Thanks God it's only through the hands and not my heart.

Anyway, what's wrong with the unit when you said it's the power supply problems?

It's not so clear that it's the diode or the enamel coated resistor but from the picture, it's possible it is the diode that looks like fried. The diode has the color band marked for cathode. When it's overheated or over worked, the color band usually kind of fades away. It's the first one on the lower left. Can you tell me is it a diode or a resistor? If it's a Diode, remove one end and measure it with the DMM in the Diode setting.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • Hi @megasat16

Thanks for the sage safety advice. I do practice safe practices with capacitors at all times.

The photos are of the original board components. After Gary had it and it was still cremating the warm-up delay relay in the external portion of the PS, I bought new resistors, diodes, caps, transistors and replaced everything you see (and everything you don't see in the external, transformer chassis). Still blows the relay instantly when power is applied.

After the time/money spent trying to diagnose a circuit without a schematic of any kind and no test point info, I am truly "over it". I want to determine the voltage and current demands of the tube rails primarily and build an entirely new PS--perhaps even nicad battery based. I need someone with a working MLP to, hopefully, get me on that path.

Thanks again!
  • megasat16
    Is it blowing fuse also? IS there a fuse for the Primary side of the (external?) transformer at a minimum? Does the fuse blow?

I don't quite understand how the relay is fried instantly. The relay may be used on the primary side in addition to the fuse. But if the relay is blowing up on the primary side, it's quite a sight to see the contacts shizzles and burn out. If the primary side relay is blowing, the primary of the transformer is shorted. If the relay is on the secondary side of the transformer, a lot more voltage than the correct voltage has been applied to the relay. You should be able to power up the external power supply without hooking up to the unit. I can't say for sure without the schematic or seeing the innards of the power supply but it's very possible that the power supply should be powered on and the voltages should be measurable on both sides of the transformer without any fuse blown or relay fried (since there is no load connected to the transformer). Readings are just for the open load transformer voltages which is a bit more than the loaded voltage.
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone. :redface::biggrin:
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @BlueMDPicker
    Blue, have you tried emailing Danny Richie, to see if he might be holding some of Gary's designs/schematics?
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • megasat16 wrote: »
    ..... I can't say for sure without the schematic or seeing the innards of the power supply but it's very possible that the power supply should be powered on and the voltages should be measurable on both sides of the transformer without any fuse blown or relay fried (since there is no load connected to the transformer). Readings are just for the open load transformer voltages which is a bit more than the loaded voltage.

All very plausible. But, absent a schematic and the entire rig point-to-point wired, it's really difficult to map your way through his intent. This preamp has been down for over 4 years, been to Gary, been to the most highly regarded hifi tech in my area (no cigar) and, as I mentioned above, I'm ready to move on to another PS that I DO have the schematic for. I do appreciate your thoughts on it, though.
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    @BlueMDPicker
    Blue, have you tried emailing Danny Richie, to see if he might be holding some of Gary's designs/schematics?

@txcoastal1

I don't know Danny. Could you PM me some contact info? Thanks!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited December 2015
    LOL...I just sent Blue the same info 2mins ago

I guess that's what happens when you don't refresh
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • megasat16

All very plausible. But, absent a schematic and the entire rig point-to-point wired, it's really difficult to map your way through his intent. This preamp has been down for over 4 years, been to Gary, been to the most highly regarded hifi tech in my area (no cigar) and, as I mentioned above, I'm ready to move on to another PS that I DO have the schematic for. I do appreciate your thoughts on it, though.

Gary didn't / couldn't fix his own design and build when he was alive? It is telling something like it could have been a prototype build but I am sure it's very fixable and minor design problems might have been corrected some time later which you seem to have the schematic for.

If you want to post pictures of the Power supply unit, I will see if I could provide some opinions on it. But need to see both sides of the boards (solder side and component side) of each unit.

• @txcoastal1 & @DSkip

Danny was very responsive to an email sent this morning. Thanks again for the contact info! However, my quest continues. Thought this info might be of some service to other Dodd Audio owners moving forward:

Hey Michael,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I do have some schematics on Gary's later stuff, but don't think it includes anything on this unit.

A good friend of Gary's has been handling some of the repairs on his gear since Gary passed. He is very good with it and should be able to take care of the problem for you.

Contact Charlie Cocci at 508-588-8389

Thanks,
    Danny
  • treitz3
    Hey, Mike. I haven't forgotten about you at all. Life keeps getting in the way man. Just wanted to let you know.

Tom
  • Hi Tom,

No worries at all here. I appreciate everyone's help!

Mike
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I have an MLP and a multi meter, but I don't know my way around the multi meter or a circuit board. If you can explain what to do, I'm game to try!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Thanks! But, the very LAST thing I want to happen is for someone to possibly cause damage to their preamp. Much appreciated though.