What does bi-amping do to the 707?

What does bi-amping do to the 707?

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    This is a good question but it has many different answers.
    So when you Bi amp what this means is your using 2 amps to run one speaker. You remove the jumpers so you separate the Mid highs and the Low's.
    In theory , this give you more control over the speaker Travel in Dampening. Each amp drives set of drivers and has a less of a job to do.
    Many believe that using external crossovers with Beaming yields the best results in general but I have spoken to many speaker designer and they said their speakers are internally designed for this as you do not need to use external crossovers to yield the best results. Not to mention the crossover points are set due to design of the drivers behind them.
    I for one don't feel this is a necessary thing to do with how good amps are today. Not to mention most of use don't listen at extreme high volumes to warranty all the extra head room and dampening needs.
    I fully believe with a well made amp that is designed to handle to extreme demands of given speaker is the way to go.
    I also take into account the price of bi amping vs getting a higher quality single amp. You gotta consider Interconnects and more speaker wire as well. When you add all this up do the gains outweigh the cost or does the cost outweigh the gains?
    Then factor in a better quality amp, one set of better quality Interconnects and better quality speaker wire and what yields better results vs cost?
    If you are considering using a receivers ability to bi amp, this has some benefits but not as much as one would think. The internal power supply is still being shared and in real world testing I have found little to no benefits and the extra cost of another run of speaker wire. I have actually heard no difference between this setup on many different systems. I chalk it up to the shared power supply internally.

So really there's a solid foundation of what to think about.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I'm gathering he means bi amping with a receiver Dan.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    The Most Common Question About Biamping

The most common question I get is ...

"Do I need to disconnect the passive crossover in my speakers?"
    The answer is ... Yes, otherwise you are not really biamping at all.

Generally speaking, the mid to high section needs to be retained since a typical biamp setup will only eliminate the bass to mid+high network. These sections are nearly always completely separate networks, although it may not seem like it when you first have a look at the board.

Equally important is the selection of the electronic crossover frequency. It must be the same as the original, within a few 10s of hertz. The only exception is where you might obtain information from the manufacturer of the speaker that allows the frequency to be modified. In general, I strongly suggest that you determine the original crossover frequency, and stay with it.

When the crossover is modified, make sure that you retain all the parts, along with the original connections. A drawing (including all component values) and photograph will be of great assistance when you want to restore the speakers to normal prior to selling them - it is unlikely that you will ever want to do this for your own use - not after you have enjoyed the benefits of biamping for any length of time.

Passive biamping (where two amplifiers are used in a bi-wiring connection) is, IMO, a waste of money. Although there may be some moderate sonic benefits, they are not worth the expense of the extra amplifier.

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Gives you the warm fuzzies inside.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • New24k
    New24k Posts: 74
    tonyb wrote: »

Correct!
  • tonyb
    New24k wrote: »

Correct!

Then your answer is don't waste your time.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • New24k

Correct!

You're telling me it doesn't even provide a 10% benefit?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124

Correct!

You are still pulling from the same source
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • New24k
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Correct!

Right...

But if the AVR is rated at 120 Watts per channel - all 7 channels driven...

And instead of using a 7.2 set up, I use a 5.2 set up bi amping the 707s in front...

?

• Most here will say don't waste your time. If your really curious, try it and then come back and share your results. I was wondering the same thing but since I have only one power supply, I figured it wasn't worth my effort.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • txcoastal1

Correct!

Right...

But if the AVR is rated at 120 Watts per channel - all 7 channels driven...
    ?

First double check your specs on the AVR. AVR specs are misconstrued.
    If you want to try it, buy another set of cables
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I bi-amped my A7's with an AVR and I can tell you it does nothing. You would have the same results with your 707's. If you're looking for more power for your 707s get an external 2 channel Amp, if you can for your AVR.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    On many newer receivers there is an internal setting that redirects the output from unused rear surround channels to the main speaker outputs. I do that in my home theater system because I have no surround speakers. It makes no difference that I can tell, but neither does it do any harm and the setting is available and costs nothing to change. I suspect the original poster is not referring to traditional bi-amplification which would require two sets of speaker cables and an external amplifier.

My usual advice on biamping with an external amplifier is that if something thinks it may be a good idea they should consider getting a better amplifier.
  • New24k
    I guess I am confused...

If you are sending 120 Watts to the highs and the mids of the 707 - and sending another 120 Watts to just the lows...

Isn't that better than sending 120 Watts to all 3?

• txcoastal1
    What receiver are you using. That way we can break it down for you

• New24k
    What receiver are you using. That way we can break it down for you

Cambridge CXR200

• txcoastal1

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2015
    That should be 200 watts per channel?

Ah, just looked it is 120 with all channels driven at 8 ohms.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • txcoastal1
    @vmaxer
    2channels driven not per channel

• txcoastal1

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    @vmaxer
    2channels driven not per channel

Yep, I looked at the specs and corrected myself.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • New24k
    DSkip wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    On many newer receivers there is an internal setting that redirects the output from unused rear surround channels to the main speaker outputs. I do that in my home theater system because I have no surround speakers. It makes no difference that I can tell, but neither does it do any harm and the setting is available and costs nothing to change. I suspect the original poster is not referring to traditional bi-amplification which would require two sets of speaker cables and an external amplifier.

My usual advice on biamping with an external amplifier is that if something thinks it may be a good idea they should consider getting a better amplifier.

Technically, some harm can be done. By adding another pair of speaker outs to power, the power reserve of the receiver is now split among more channels, thus actually limiting the power even more to all amplified channels. Biamping is not going to net you anything on a receiver. The theory is nice, but the application falls short.

The AVR is a 7.2 channel.

Instead of using the surround back channels, I would bi amp the front two channels.

So, either way - all 7 channels would be used.

• txcoastal1
    Google dual mono amp vs stereo amp
    Same concept applies to a multi output receiver

• gce
    I guess I am confused...

If you are sending 120 Watts to the highs and the mids of the 707 - and sending another 120 Watts to just the lows...

Isn't that better than sending 120 Watts to all 3?

The best thing you could do is try it, see if it makes a difference. Just make sure you don't take the placebo pill.

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • New24k
    Was I confusing bi-amping with bi-wiring?

• gce
    edited November 2015
    Bi-amping is using 2 amps 1 for your uppers and 1 for your lowers in your speaker. Bi-wiring is using 1 amp with 4 sets of wires 2 for uppers and 2 for lowers. Neither will work with an AVR!

Well I sorry, it will work but you wont hear a difference.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• New24k
    gce wrote: »
    Neither will work with an AVR!

Well I sorry, it will work but you wont hear a difference.

Then why do upper-level AVRs give you this option?

• txcoastal1
    Because the market is driven by options, but it doesn't mean the option is any better

• gce
    Its a marketing strategy but like I said above you should try it for yourself. I did and that's how I know it did nothing to improve the sound.
    Anaheim Hills CA,

• tonyb
    Many receivers also give you the option of media streaming....which most suck at that too.

Speakers thrive on current, which most can't do to any great extent. You do have a pretty beefy receiver by receiver standards though. Also keep in mind, the top portion of those speakers probably uses 20 watts, so the gain is minimal at best. Your basically robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's