I Don't Like Focal?

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
I went into a stereo shop in Denver today to have them install and align my new cartridge. They happened to have a pair of Focal Electra 1028's hooked up to Parasound Halo gear. I have to say, honestly, I wasn't impressed. I would rather have my RTA-12B's than the multi thousand dollar Focals? What gives? What does this say about my taste in sound?

211focal.ronts.jpg
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Oh no! Maybe poor pairing? I heard these hooked up to devialet mono blocks and sounded pretty sweet. Could also be possible it's just not your thing. It happens. I dont like klipsch sound but lots of people enjoy it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Oh no! Maybe poor pairing? I heard these hooked up to devialet mono blocks and sounded pretty sweet. Could also be possible it's just not your thing. It happens. I dont like klipsch sound but lots of people enjoy it.

I'm also wondering if you can't really go off of how they sound in a store with gear all over the place vs your own room? These should blow my Polks out of the water, it has me confused.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2015
    Maybe a more laid back sound is your style. What bugged you?
    Were these on an open floor or listening room? Was it all frequencies that bothered you?
    What kind of music were you listening too? Was it your flavor?
    Nothing wrong wrong at all.

Many people don't like the forward sound of Ushers diamonds, I do. in particular with jazz, blues, and classical.

Focal can be presumed on the forward side, many equate this to certain precision.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2015
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Maybe a more laid back sound is your style. What bugged you?
    Were these on an open floor or listening room? Was it all frequencies that bothered you?
    What kind of music were you listening too? Was it your flavor?
    Nothing wrong wrong at all.

Many people don't like the forward sound of Ushers diamonds, I do. in particular with jazz, blues, and classical.

The midrange and lower treble sounded too forward with the deep bass kind of in the background, midbass punch was there though. It was a listening room but there was gear on the side walls, seating area was clear with nothing between the seating and the speakers. It was a Parasound P5 preamp, A21 amp, and my Yamaha turntable with Denon DL-110 cart on it.

If I were to want to audition more expensive speakers with a 'laid back' sound to them what brands would I want to be listening to? Not that I can afford $7,000 speakers, but I do want to do some listening. I seem to enjoy slightly recessed midrange.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited November 2015
    On the upper scale but laid back is Dynaudio off the top of my head, Sanders ESL, Harbeth speakers I'll think of others
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    I've was told by the dealer that the berillium tweeter takes 2-300 hours to settle in. And most perceive them as too bright at first. I listened to them in a dedicated treated room. Forward yes but definitely not bright. I was shocked at how much bass could come out of 6 1/2 inch drivers.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• here's the culprits: 'Parasound Halo gear'
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Interesting, this is a speaker brand I've been dying to get my ears on, and have nearly pulled the trigger on a smaller set in the recent past. Hmm, I do enjoy detailed.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    here's the culprits: 'Parasound Halo gear'

Agree, there are better choices for pairing with Focal speakers for music listening. B&K, (older) Classe, and tube pre-amps and amps are ones I have experienced.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Interesting, this is a speaker brand I've been dying to get my ears on, and have nearly pulled the trigger on a smaller set in the recent past. Hmm, I do enjoy detailed.

You should get your ears on them. We all know reasons why any brand might sound bad. Poor room/setup, bad synergy between gear, cables, preference....yada yada.

Like Mickey said, that tweet is going to take some time to settle down though. A better pairing with these speaks is the McCormack amp over the Parasound they were using or some higher quality tube gear. Don't x them off the list from one bad listening session. These are the type of speakers that benefit from good SS amplification and a good tube pre.

I'm kinda shocked though looking at the back, only one set of speaker posts for a floor stander.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,832
    I personally like Focal, but I am saving my pennies for a set of Ushers..

As stated above I think it had more to do with Synergy or just the room..
  • tonyb
    Agree Skip, how many actually do that though ? Most higher end dealers do, but it's a joke at some others.

I know you do, or at least try to find the best synergy to showcase the pieces. To me, thats what will sell a product. Some places have the snot nosed stock boy setting up systems who has no idea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited November 2015
    Speaker preferences are like food preferences. My wife LOVES spinach; and its great for you---but I hate it. Speakers should be picked based on enjoyment level--not price or prestige.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    That should go without saying Steve. Now go eat some spinach Popeye. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    yuk. Where's my bag of mini snickers?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    steveinaz wrote: »
    yuk. Where's my bag of mini snickers?

Ha...I keep a bag of mini Reeses PB cups myself.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    When I switched away from my Polk LSi9's to the 806V's I LOVED all the things that you don't seems to. Lol

I liked the more forward, punchy midrange, vocals seem to fly out of the Focal's. I will absolutely agree that they do need to break in. They did seem a tad bright when brand new, but after a few weeks, they smoothed out and I notice a more forward presentation than my old LSi's, but never harsh or too bright for me.

One of the things that drove me crazy about all of my old Polk speakers is that they always seemed to be a bit bloated for my taste, so I like the leaner sound of my Focal speakers.

The 806V's in my 2ch system are connected to a Parasound P5 and 1500A amp. I enjoy the combo, but I would like to get tubes mixed in some day. Just to see what I get.
  • mikeyb128
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    When I switched away from my Polk LSi9's to the 806V's I LOVED all the things that you don't seems to. Lol

I liked the more forward, punchy midrange, vocals seem to fly out of the Focal's. I will absolutely agree that they do need to break in. They did seem a tad bright when brand new, but after a few weeks, they smoothed out and I notice a more forward presentation than my old LSi's, but never harsh or too bright for me.

One of the things that drove me crazy about all of my old Polk speakers is that they always seemed to be a bit bloated for my taste, so I like the leaner sound of my Focal speakers.

The 806V's in my 2ch system are connected to a Parasound P5 and 1500A amp. I enjoy the combo, but I would like to get tubes mixed in some day. Just to see what I get.

You described how I feel about them perfectly. They excel in vocals. I find myself listening to music I don't normally listen to and loving it. I will be hooking mine up to a little dot tube integrated this weekend. Will let you know how it goes. Not the best quality tube amplification, but has some nice mullards in there.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2015
    I've heard earlier versions of all those models (above). And I must say that I also found them a little too bright. I do agree that that Be tweeter if it is not broken in will take your ears out! To be honest the most agreeable sounding speaker between the 800 series and the Be towers for me, were the Focal Profile 918 towers (no longer in production but between the two series in price)-these speakers WERE NOT in any way too forward but rather produced a detailed holographic space that enveloped the listener. Nothing harsh. I assume they shared the alum/mag inverted dome the 806s have but they were much "sweeter" sounding than 805s/6s? Crossovers? Cabinets (the Profiles had the tapered back, sloped front cabinet).

No doubt the gear also made a difference. The Profiles were hooked to a TOTL Pioneer CDP (PD-D9MK..) that is still one of my favorite pieces. The Focal Bes were NOT (I believe they were on a Cambridge Audio CDP-and I generally find them a little too sterile for my tastes). They were also in different rooms, etc. So set up?

z54uz8kvi8ja.jpg
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    nbrowser wrote: »
    ... Fast forward a bit of time and I actually chose to install Focal speakers into my truck of all places due to their sound quality, go figure.
    Focal makes some very nice drivers for the car. I had a three-way set of the Poly Kevlars back in the day. There newer Utopia Be is off the charts good and costly. Even in the car audio there were some that do not care for Focal over some other brands.

I have yet to listen to a lot of their home stuff but based on the cones.... It seems the Flax cone speakers are a progression of the good and bad of the Poly and W cones that many love or hate. Would like to spend more time with Focal....They have a lot of engineering in their drivers.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mikeyb128
    Was bored today, so went and Listened to the electras and sopra 2 today. Sounded fantastic. The sopra in white looked a lot better than expected. They were beautiful!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    I have a client who has them paired with tube amps and another pair with a Krell amp.
    They sound nice, very detailed. I Would put them in the same ball park as B&W speakers.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • New24k
    New24k Posts: 74
    edited November 2015
    You were just listening to the wrong Focal... lol

j0wraijkmtrn.jpg
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    DSkip wrote: »
    RamZet wrote: »
    I have a client who has them paired with tube amps and another pair with a Krell amp.
    They sound nice, very detailed. I Would put them in the same ball park as B&W speakers.

Let's be nice now. o:)

I love B&W.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • mikeyb128
    New24k wrote: »
    You were just listening to the wrong Focal... lol

j0wraijkmtrn.jpg

At 120,000 a pair :open_mouth:
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Love me some bw, love me some focal.

That's my problem. I love too many things
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    It's ok not to like a high end beautiful sweet sounding speakers and like your old polks. Look at it this way, your not lusting after them and planning on spending tons of cash on a new 2 channel system.

On a side note I like the entire Focal line, incredibly accurate speakers with a very comfortable easy listening presentation.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.