America is tired of black only hifi gear

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    you owe me 50.00 that is what we charge for "THAT" show ......you kill me bra..
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    It is all for WAF. It makes our big gear look much smaller.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Willow wrote: »

so, let me get this straight -- are you saying that if this thing had been silver... it'd have looked bigger?

zigzub3pivq9rcrpnshl.jpg

latest?cb=20111116211153

;- )
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2015
    I guess that is why Steely Dan is silver, makes it look bigger than it really is.
    Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I always liked the "champaign" faceplate on the early SAE "Mark" amps/preamps. The amps looked good with their meters, especially together with their wooden cases. The Harman/Kardon Citation Eleven preamp had the champagn color on the equalizer section of one iteration of that preamp also. Very classy looking color.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited November 2015
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »

so, let me get this straight -- are you saying that if this thing had been silver... it'd have looked bigger?

zigzub3pivq9rcrpnshl.jpg

latest?cb=20111116211153

;- )

What does everyone think?

df82msnrqst5.jpg
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I thought this was. A jim crow thread
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    If the color doesn't appeal to some, we do have this new discovery called....paint. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    If gear was red yellow and green it would just make you hungry
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    halen wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    gce wrote: »
    I posted this awhile back. Not mine, but what a beauty this is in black!

oclkyte7zzng.jpg

That black faceplate came about because an American wanted one, so he had them made and sells them now. Marantz didn't offer it in America at the time, your only choice was silver. Just as the only choice Marantz offers now in America is black, while they offer silver and black to the rest of the entire effing world.

It's about CHOICE!!!

No joke. I was excited to see the new Marantz 7010 in silver only to find out it was not available in the states. I settled with black.

xvi1uozqry8e.png
    I've never seen these in silver, wow, they look gorgeous !!
  • tonyb wrote: »
    Black being a neutral color is why it is more prevalent. Much like the women's little black dress, it goes with anything.

Ha....when it comes to womans dresses....the best dress is one left on the floor. :)

Yeah, until the wife comes home and finds it :D

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Sony is making the PS4 in a gold color, only catch is you have to play some game from Taco Bell to enter to win one. :#
  • Europe has 3 electronics color choices if you include Champagne. The US has 90 choices on the cereal isle.

I think they got us on this one....
    HT: Marantz NR-1603, Oppo 981, Def Tech SM55, SVS PB-1000
    BR: iPad Mini, Audio Engine A5+
    2C: Parasound ZDAC V.2, Sony DA80ES, Sony XDR-F1HD, SVS Prime Tower, JSE .6 Infinite Slope
    Office: MBAir, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, JBL LSR-308
    Projects: Polk RTA12, Polk Monitor 7, Revox B225CD, BIC 3-TM
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    halen wrote: »
    gce wrote: »
    I posted this awhile back. Not mine, but what a beauty this is in black!

oclkyte7zzng.jpg

That black faceplate came about because an American wanted one, so he had them made and sells them now. Marantz didn't offer it in America at the time, your only choice was silver. Just as the only choice Marantz offers now in America is black, while they offer silver and black to the rest of the entire effing world.

It's about CHOICE!!!

No joke. I was excited to see the new Marantz 7010 in silver only to find out it was not available in the states. I settled with black.

xvi1uozqry8e.png
    I've never seen these in silver, wow, they look gorgeous !!

Indeed and available in every market in the world except North America. Mind boggling really.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    The Marantz looks sweet. Still think MF's face plate on the tri-vista's is one of the best made.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    There are a couple of options, albeit few . . . I love my Cary pre in Jaguar Carnival Red
    3g861ty9d5mc.jpg
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »
    Though I bought from Canada, my shuguang products are definitely not par for the course.

Curious, where DID you buy them? An eBay search only brings up Shuguan tubes, no equipment.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    All my gear that I bought over in Europe and brought back with me is silver, and as far as I can remember, I did not see much gear in black over there.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Maybe that is the appeal of vintage stuff, the silver just looks classy! The Simaudio stuff looks pretty good as well as performs well.caccc58ewb0k.jpg

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm okay with black. I do wish we could go back to gear with metal silver faces and real wood accents though.

Soooo purdy

yamaha%20ca%202010.jpg
    That is the exact Amp my Uncle use to drive his Monitor 10B's. What a wonderful sounding amp man. I think he still has it somewhere stored away in his basement along with the Monitor 10B's. I should get hime to se them up so I can re live my child hood.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    This is sexy to me. Honestly black is good but IMO give us some choice seeing everyone else has it.4rdhixj7sb5e.jpeg
  • F1nut
    tonyb wrote: »
    Still think MF's face plate on the tri-vista's is one of the best made.

Indeed, you had to see it in person to truly appreicate the beauty. It begged you to caress it's silky smoothness......kinda like......yeah, you know. B)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Still think MF's face plate on the tri-vista's is one of the best made.

Indeed, you had to see it in person to truly appreicate the beauty. It begged you to caress it's silky smoothness......kinda like......yeah, you know. B)

I'm offended...
  • F1nut
    nbrowser wrote: »
    uh dude, get a room eh...lol

I did and I didn't have to leave the house.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Note to self....

Disinfect any tri-vista gear bought from F1NUT. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited November 2015
    mantis wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm okay with black. I do wish we could go back to gear with metal silver faces and real wood accents though.

Soooo purdy

yamaha%20ca%202010.jpg
    That is the exact Amp my Uncle use to drive his Monitor 10B's. What a wonderful sounding amp man. I think he still has it somewhere stored away in his basement along with the Monitor 10B's. I should get hime to se them up so I can re live my child hood.

Nice amplifier (even by modern standards, I'd opine -- but whadda I know?).

Even Yamaha did get "touched by disco's magic wand", if only transiently, in the seventies. :-P

14476943406_1a372b8e5a_b.jpgDSC_6691_ by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The CR-1000 (the bottom receiver, that is) was actually a pretty nice component, if one gets past its Rococo aesthetic. The tuner section was quite good, and overall it was a very competent receiver (if receivers happen to be one's bag).

EDIT: Of course, nowadays I look at that and realize all I would really want/"need" in a receiver like that is a function selector, tuning knob, volume control (OK, a balance control is also a "nice to have") and an on/off switch. I could actually live without the latter, come to think of it.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited November 2015
    I think Dan understands

814dag.promo_.jpg?itok=hvlv5Lp6

black_integrated_top_300.jpg

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited November 2015
    I think Dan understands

That black with gold is pure sexy. The silver to me is to sterile, too blasé.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I think Dan understands

That black with gold is pure sexy. The silver to me is to sterile, too blasé.

I don't think I could reuse either of them
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • nbrowser wrote: »
    Note to self....

Disinfect any tri-vista gear bought from F1NUT. lol

Home sterilizer anyone? :)

Flame thrower would be the only proper way to properly sterilize. Drawback, the gear is toast.....lol.