Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,053
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think Dan understands

814dag.promo_.jpg?itok=hvlv5Lp6

black_integrated_top_300.jpg

I dunno --- looks like the perfect accessory for a Lincoln Navigator to me.
    (EDIT: I refer only to the cosmetics; I realize that D'Agostino has a grip on the electronics/sonics side, but way too self-consicously bling-y relative to my tastes).

EDIT^2 heck, I feel apologetic about the garish cosmetics of the danged Chinese-made "2A3" (quasi-2A3) output tubes I use. I swear I'd use good old Amurrican made ST-envelope 2A3s if the "Sofia" branded thingies didn't sound so good...

16187805777_019bdb6d9f_b.jpgDSC_0128 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I think Dan understands

814dag.promo_.jpg?itok=hvlv5Lp6

black_integrated_top_300.jpg

I get happy in certain unspeakable areas seeing this...ops...guess I gotta disinfect my keyboard now...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    I applaud that D'Agostino offers a color choice, but not a look I like.
    Make sure to avoid them in person then. Pics don't do them justice.

Yeah, the machine work on the silver version is special, but it's smaller than one might imagine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    A few days after I started this thread a poll appeared at the Steve Hoffman forum asking for your preference, silver or black. To date it's pretty close to 50/50, which to me means we want to have the choice. My point all along.

So, that begs the question. Manufacturers, ARE YOU LISTENING!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    My stuff isn't high end, and none of it matches. And I'm OK with that.

tqnp5l5uasx7.jpg
    9outcfiic3tv.jpg
    xjrgsb4auzfk.png
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Black gear matters. Silver gear matters. All gear matters.

Personally, I want rosewood/burgundy to match my rack.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Hey Rick, yep Marantz is one of many that think Americans only want black......very short sighted thinking. They didn't offer those black side panels here either.

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    Options
    White Gear Matters
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    My Marantz 15s2b could be purple and I would love it just as much, but I think I would love it more in champagne, but since it's Black I still love it. Yeah Maranatz gear in champagne does have its appeal don't it?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    White Gear Matters
    ALL gear matters.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    Come on now, we all know Black is Beautiful!

IMG_4351%20683x1024_zpsmqmrza6z.jpg

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    When I get a silver piece I later regret I didn't get black. But, when I get a black piece I later regret I didn't get silver. Choice is a BAD thing!

At some point they should make backlighted faceplates and cases that you can make any color scheme you want. Car audio does a little of this.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    Options
    53444479.jpg
    design is where science and art break even.
  • newrival
    newrival Posts: 2,017
    Options
    It's economy of scale. Most people will buy black, so black it is. It certainly is the most logical color choice.
    If you want to pay more for smaller run pieces that are different colors, the world is your rainbow-colored oyster.
    design is where science and art break even.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Once you go black, you will never go back.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    You owe me a monitor motorhead,lol.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,164
    edited December 2015
    Options
    7wew9t5qbcrv.jpg
    White Gear Does Matter!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Once you go black, you will never go back.

I tried that once... it was ten years of pure hell.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Acdc_backinblack_cover.jpg

Thing is, they could make stuff in another color, and folks could just paint it black if they wished to... but I have it on good authority that black paint is hard to find.

• F1nut
    Options
    newrival wrote: »
    It's economy of scale. Most people will buy black, so black it is. It certainly is the most logical color choice.
    If you want to pay more for smaller run pieces that are different colors, the world is your rainbow-colored oyster.

That may be true for smaller companies. However that's not the case with big companies like Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, etc. They offer black and silver gear in every country in the world that they sell gear in, but not North America. Therefore, economy of scale has nothing to do with it.

Speaking of smaller companies, I noticed BAT has started to offer a choice of black and silver. Looks like Victor was listening, too bad others are not.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    Options
    True enough, and - I concur - disheartening (in terms of the mass-market companies).

Historically, Japanese (massmarket) audio companies haven't always made the most sage decisions about what products to offer to the US vs. ROW vs. the home market.

Perusal of www.audio-heritage.jp illustrates this poignantly (and a little painfully), I'd opine.

E.g., I don't think Stereo Discounters was displaying these next to the Thrusters series by Panasonic.

sb-10000.JPG

(or, to be somewhat more apt and accurate, next to something like these)

sb-400.JPG

or

sb-1850.jpg
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Once you go black, you never go back (or so they say).

I always liked black better. Both in audio components and speakers too. It's not that I don't like the rosewood Polks too but I just always preferred black. Every set of polks I've ever had were black except one.

I really like the "piano gloss black" that the Pioneer Elite components have. Classy but hard to keep fingerprints off of. Just like a gloss black car. When they are nice and clean you can't find a better-looking one, but when they are dirty it is amplified.

I also have a pair of piano gloss black Polk PSW650 subs. Beautiful.

But I can see why there would be some demand for other colors. The audio manufacturers are going to produce what the majority of buyers want though and black is probably the top choice followed by silver.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    And it is your favorite brand. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.