PS4 playing blu Ray discs?

Finally bought a PS4 . Nathan Drake Uncharter bundle. Popped in a Redbox BluRay last night and just kept spinning. Not playing. I have three PS3 s that I can use for blu Ray but what is the point? Also to sign in to PSN I had to contact Xfinity Comcast to open two ports? Now I think the high speed internet is suffering throughout the house intermittently? My pleasurable experience is really suffering with this set up. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Peace. D
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2015
    Not sure about PS4, but don't you have to load software on the new XBOX to play B-ray discs, CDs, etc.? I believe there may be a download/activation (and/or system update?) thing involved. Which is stupid IMHO. I have a PS3 that does not need anything extra to do its job! Oh, BTW, I have an older Sony ES level BDP that has TROUBLE with some redbox B-rays, and, guess what, Sony no longer supports updates for a machine that is still under warranty (5 years)! The PS3 plays them, no problem! lol

Someone else should chime in here!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    The Xbox One needs a Video App in order to Play Blu ray movies. It's a gaming console first , then a streaming then a Blu ray disc player.
    I for one wouldn't use it in this fashion but you can if you want a one hit wonder.
    Years ago I had the PS3 and it was my first Dive into Blu ray. I quickly found out it was not the best choice as I hated how loud the damn thing was.
    Video quality was sub par vs everything I compared it to back then.

Equipment gets left by the curb very fast now. I hate it but it's what it is. Just look at the quality of todays Blu ray players and hard pressed you will be to buy a quality player. Most of them are crap and built to last maybe a year or 2. It's been this way for a while now and I'm suck and tired of it.

Another sad fact is most people prefer to stream over a Disc. I get that as it's so much easier to rent or purchase anything you want without having to go out and get a disc. Not to mention it's never scratched or lost. You give up quality for convience but's it's much closer today then ever before. Streaming is way better then DVD and is coming up on Blu ray quality. In some cases it's an equal. And with he rise of the LED TV's, everything is artificial looking anyway now so streaming movies is fine for just about everyone except people like you and me who still care about getting the best performance.

I still buy Blu ray movies and always will until the next better thing comes along. I only buy the movies I will watch more then once. I stream most movies now where as in the past I purchased everything I wanted to watch. Everything my wife wants to see and I watch with her or not we stream. TV shows I'll buy from Apple.

Whats funny about the game systems is from what I have seen, most kids who watch movies with then stream them. Rarely do I ever see any of the kids have Disc's. Most of them want to stream the games to which I totally get that. I think games should be totally streaming or downloaded onto the internal hard drive. Why have all those stupid cases all over the place.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Must be defective... I just popped Jurassic World BD in mine and it works fine..Never used for playback before but no setup needed...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I will try a different blu Ray disc. Also I will contact Comcast. Paying $65.00 a month just for high speed internet. It should work stellar. Thanks for all the help. Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Mikey081057
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    I will try a different blu Ray disc. Also I will contact Comcast. Paying $65.00 a month just for high speed internet. It should work stellar. Thanks for all the help. Peace. D

Try turning off the feature that asks you if you want to connect to the internet for enhanced experience. See if that makes the diff for playback.

And I am sure your interactions with Comcast will be pleasurable and rewarding. Please follow up with us to tell us how many times you had to repeat your story as they pass you from dept. to dept. to not resolve your problem.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Finally bought a PS4 . Nathan Drake Uncharter bundle. Popped in a Redbox BluRay last night and just kept spinning. Not playing. I have three PS3 s that I can use for blu Ray but what is the point? Also to sign in to PSN I had to contact Xfinity Comcast to open two ports? Now I think the high speed internet is suffering throughout the house intermittently? My pleasurable experience is really suffering with this set up. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Peace. D
    The PS4 can load up on the network IF there is something wrong with it. First thing I would do is check for any updates of Firmware. You can also factory reset the PS4 and start over. You could very well have a defective unit.
    I would also hard wire it to your network. Wireless sucks for Gaming and streaming anything. Especially if your using a Comcast router/ modem combo unit.
    Opening ports do not slow down your network. They are just a way for a device to talk out to the world on a port that is used for gaming, VPN etc.
    My son is a gamer and he said he doesn't know of any known issues with the PS4 that are common. His friends have PS4's and they all use them every day with no issues.
    I suggest calling Sony tech support and explain your issues. I'm seeing a RMA for a new unit in your future.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    My PS4 plays BD discs without issue. And I've had no port issues with PSN. I'd consider taking your machine back to the store and swap it for a new one.
  • Mikey081057
    Troubleshoot the internet connection first... If your PS4 can't do an update, then that probably is the cause.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Tried a store bought blu Ray (Hobbit). Played fine. Hard wired LAN internet connection. Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the help. D
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Sounds like you got it Dabutcher, play on! ;)